No announcement yet.

Hybrid cars...anybody got one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More correctly stated, the Prius engine is 98 HP, but with the electric motor assist, it has a combined total HP of 134. It is also officially classified as a mid-sized car. The smartcar is 50 HP and doesn't come close in size nor acceleration...just sayin...

Comment

• Originally posted by rbaker View Post
      Whereas the 2012 Prius engine has an output of less than 100HP you would naturally expect about 50MPG. With the exception of the Smart Car and assorted riding lawn mowers I believe the Prius has the least horsepower of any auto on the road today.
      So I guess you are not getting one.

Comment

• I have a Smart and our VP PR has a Prius, the Prius gets 2.9l/100 Km in the city , I get about 7l/100km, on the highway he gets 5.0 (me too) but the Prius is way faster and possible safer, but the smart is way cooler

Comment

• OK, here's a better option: http://i.mitsubishicars.com/?cid=PS_...kwid=225x12177

Went to the NY auto show at the Javits (so much more fun than VEE). Got to ride around in one a little...I think in the same spot where the big Lux was set up...Kind of amazing...they had almost a dozen different fully electric cars being driven around a test track...no noise, no smell, just people getting in and out of cars...In the middle they had several cars plugged in to regular house current...anyway, for it's golf cart looks, it is the most solid electric car, except the Leaf (which is expensive) I have seen and the price is in the low $20s with government incentives. It is easier to get in and out of than a Corolla, way easier. And it is abailable now.

I think this is a game changer for a city/suburban commuter car. Makes my Prius look like a gas guzzler.

Comment

• Ok, I did it. I broke down, went out and bought a brand new, foreign (made in Ohio,non-union!) little gas sipper. It's a 2012 Honda Pilot. Actually, I bought it in September, but only use it when it snows and for trips. It hasn't snowed much this year, and I've taken it to Fla once, and Montana twice. The only real difference that I see is that it's got a neat little gas "gauge" that tells you how many MPGs you are getting, so when you floor it going up a hill, you can see it go down to 2 MPGs, and when you coast down a mountain, you get 40 mpgs. In reality, it gets around 24mpg on the hwy, and around 21 mpgs in the city.
            Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Comment

• Are we talking about the same Honda Pilot that I'm thinking of? That's a gas hog if I ever saw one. My partner has three of them. His round trip to work is about 65 miles. He says he gets about 18, on a good day maybe 20 mpg.

I applaud you if you traded in a twelve mpg Rodeo like I did when I bought my Prius.

So, one day I said to my partner, why do you need three of them, he said, in case it snows...So I said, how many days did it snow this year? Zip, nada, zero...and last year, maybe three days. So I said, well can't you keep one or two four wheel drive Honda Pilots for snow days, and get something that burns less gas for simple commuting. He said, Oh, yeah, maybe that would be a good idea.

Hope you don't mind me poking fun...I too was traumatized when I bought my first foreign car.

Comment

• Baby steps

Originally posted by Johns View Post
                Ok, I did it. I broke down, went out and bought a brand new, foreign (made in Ohio,non-union!) little gas sipper. It's a 2012 Honda Pilot. Actually, I bought it in September, but only use it when it snows and for trips. It hasn't snowed much this year, and I've taken it to Fla once, and Montana twice. The only real difference that I see is that it's got a neat little gas "gauge" that tells you how many MPGs you are getting, so when you floor it going up a hill, you can see it go down to 2 MPGs, and when you coast down a mountain, you get 40 mpgs. In reality, it gets around 24mpg on the hwy, and around 21 mpgs in the city.
                You traded in your Roadmaster?

Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Comment

• I think Jay Leno owns more cars than the population of Detroit. He is quite the collector. That video must have been made in the 70s. Jay was thinner then.

Comment

• Did you read that study that says .. most people who bought a Hybrid car do not buy another one? One and done!!

you can find more but here is one link

Comment

• Originally posted by fjpod View Post
                      That video must have been made in the 70s.
                      Television Parts (Michael Nesmith), mid 80's.

Note that the 'years to break even' includes a $7500 Federal tax credit. The Mitsubishi looks interesting due to the lower price point, but I'm wondering about the wedge/egg shaped body style. I would think that interior space would be more important than aerodynamics for a city car. Give me the original Scion XB (the spouse drives this now) body with electric motors instead of internal combustion for 20K, and I'd write a check today. Unfortunately, that price point is probably three to five years down the road. Having said that, our present kitchen remodel required a bigger breaker box, so I bumped it to 200 amps. I'm ready! Ford, are you listening?

Comment

• That wasn't Jay Leno?

The Miev actually has decent interior space for four if you can get over it's awkward appearance. Not that much luggage space...but it's a damn city car, it's not the "let's take the family on vacation car".

And as far as payback time...why do hybrid buyers have to justify that? IOW if a person buys a smaller Mercedes crossover vehicle for $60k, how long does that take to payback compared to buying a Rav4 at $25k? Buying a hybrid or EV is not all about saving money. People don't buy cars just to save money. If they did, we would all be driving around in KIAs and Hyundais without A/C and electric windows...because after all, how long would that take to pay back.

Some people are tree huggers, some are cheap,...I like buying less gasoline. The cost isn't the issue.

Comment

Are we talking about the same Honda Pilot that I'm thinking of? That's a gas hog if I ever saw one. My partner has three of them. His round trip to work is about 65 miles. He says he gets about 18, on a good day maybe 20 mpg.

I applaud you if you traded in a twelve mpg Rodeo like I did when I bought my Prius.

So, one day I said to my partner, why do you need three of them, he said, in case it snows...So I said, how many days did it snow this year? Zip, nada, zero...and last year, maybe three days. So I said, well can't you keep one or two four wheel drive Honda Pilots for snow days, and get something that burns less gas for simple commuting. He said, Oh, yeah, maybe that would be a good idea.

Hope you don't mind me poking fun...I too was traumatized when I bought my first foreign car.
                          Fun? It's ALL fun!!

No, I didn't trade in a gas hog for it. Actually, I still drive my F-250 whenever I can. The way I drive, I get about 11mpg, but it's got a reserve tank, so I don't really mind. I also drive a F-150, as well as 2 Ford Windstars.

My favorite of all of them are the vans. Between the two of them, I've got 480,000 miles on them, and they are still going strong. My son really likes the van as the rear seats recline all the way, which makes it really comfortable for road trips.

The thing I like about the Pilot is that it sits a bit higher, and it's got the XM satelite. I have a friend that has a Pilot also, but she doesn't get as good mileage as mine. It might be because the transmission on the 2012 is a 6-speed auto instead of the 5.
                          Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Comment

That wasn't Jay Leno?
                            Nesmith's show, the guest skit was Jays.

The Miev actually has decent interior space for four if you can get over it's awkward appearance. Not that much luggage space...but it's a damn city car, it's not the "let's take the family on vacation car".
                            I need room for the snowblower, topsoil, half barrels, Marshall Stacks, you know, typical urban stuff.

And as far as payback time...why do hybrid buyers have to justify that? IOW if a person buys a smaller Mercedes crossover vehicle for $60k, how long does that take to payback compared to buying a Rav4 at $25k? Buying a hybrid or EV is not all about saving money. People don't buy cars just to save money. If they did, we would all be driving around in KIAs and Hyundais without A/C and electric windows...because after all, how long would that take to pay back.

Some people are tree huggers, some are cheap,...I like buying less gasoline. The cost isn't the issue.
                            I think the early adopters will pay more, but the average Jill or Joe are looking to reduce their transportation costs, especially as energy prices increase. Until the prices come down, and they will, spending 10k to save 5k looks to be about as smart as renting-to-own.

Comment

• I was going to buy a Prius years ago when they firs hit the Florida market. One of my customers was the CSM at a local Toyota dealership. I went in, got the spheel on how it was the most advanced car on this side of the astral plane and thought I'd give it a shot.

I sat in the car...it had a CASSETTE player....really???!!!

I bought a 2001 Ford Explorer Sports Trac.......
                              "Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde"

Comment

• At least it didnt come with an 8 track. C'mon that was back in 2001. My 2010 came with an mp3 connector. If you got the blue tooth, you can hook up to almost anything.

Comment

Working...
                                X