Quote Originally Posted by MasterCrafter View Post
I never bought one but a few years ago i talked a Doctor friend of mine out of buying one.

He was trying to make a decision on whether to buy the hybrid... or not to buy the hybrid. It was the same model car.

I pointed out to him that the hybrid model was like $10,000 or more and he wouldnt save money because his car payment and insurance would be higher.

So when he factored in the length of the loan and the monthly payment. Then compared that to how much he saved on gas. He would have had to keep the car for 6 to 7 years or something like that to break even.

They are starting to bring down the price on these now, but i still think there needs to be work done on pricing vs value. I mean, is it just a feel good car or is it practical?
$10k is a bit overstating. The fact is a Prius is about $2k over what a comparable car costs. It's not all about the money. Some people spend $1500 on wheels or a moon roof...or both, or spend thousands to soup up an engine. Why is it wrong to pay a $2k premium to decrease my consumption of foreign oil?