Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Hybrid cars...anybody got one?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Are we talking about the same Honda Pilot that I'm thinking of? That's a gas hog if I ever saw one. My partner has three of them. His round trip to work is about 65 miles. He says he gets about 18, on a good day maybe 20 mpg.

I applaud you if you traded in a twelve mpg Rodeo like I did when I bought my Prius.

So, one day I said to my partner, why do you need three of them, he said, in case it snows...So I said, how many days did it snow this year? Zip, nada, zero...and last year, maybe three days. So I said, well can't you keep one or two four wheel drive Honda Pilots for snow days, and get something that burns less gas for simple commuting. He said, Oh, yeah, maybe that would be a good idea.

Hope you don't mind me poking fun...I too was traumatized when I bought my first foreign car.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Baby steps

Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    Ok, I did it. I broke down, went out and bought a brand new, foreign (made in Ohio,non-union!) little gas sipper. It's a 2012 Honda Pilot. Actually, I bought it in September, but only use it when it snows and for trips. It hasn't snowed much this year, and I've taken it to Fla once, and Montana twice. The only real difference that I see is that it's got a neat little gas "gauge" that tells you how many MPGs you are getting, so when you floor it going up a hill, you can see it go down to 2 MPGs, and when you coast down a mountain, you get 40 mpgs. In reality, it gets around 24mpg on the hwy, and around 21 mpgs in the city.
    You traded in your Roadmaster?

Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I think Jay Leno owns more cars than the population of Detroit. He is quite the collector. That video must have been made in the 70s. Jay was thinner then.

MasterCrafter OptiBoarder MasterCrafter's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Did you read that study that says .. most people who bought a Hybrid car do not buy another one? One and done!!

you can find more but here is one link

http://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/on...chase-another/

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by fjpod View Post
    That video must have been made in the 70s.
    Television Parts (Michael Nesmith), mid 80's.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...gy-environment

Note that the 'years to break even' includes a $7500 Federal tax credit. The Mitsubishi looks interesting due to the lower price point, but I'm wondering about the wedge/egg shaped body style. I would think that interior space would be more important than aerodynamics for a city car. Give me the original Scion XB (the spouse drives this now) body with electric motors instead of internal combustion for 20K, and I'd write a check today. Unfortunately, that price point is probably three to five years down the road. Having said that, our present kitchen remodel required a bigger breaker box, so I bumped it to 200 amps. I'm ready! Ford, are you listening?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    That wasn't Jay Leno?

The Miev actually has decent interior space for four if you can get over it's awkward appearance. Not that much luggage space...but it's a damn city car, it's not the "let's take the family on vacation car".

And as far as payback time...why do hybrid buyers have to justify that? IOW if a person buys a smaller Mercedes crossover vehicle for $60k, how long does that take to payback compared to buying a Rav4 at $25k? Buying a hybrid or EV is not all about saving money. People don't buy cars just to save money. If they did, we would all be driving around in KIAs and Hyundais without A/C and electric windows...because after all, how long would that take to pay back.

Some people are tree huggers, some are cheap,...I like buying less gasoline. The cost isn't the issue.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Are we talking about the same Honda Pilot that I'm thinking of? That's a gas hog if I ever saw one. My partner has three of them. His round trip to work is about 65 miles. He says he gets about 18, on a good day maybe 20 mpg.

I applaud you if you traded in a twelve mpg Rodeo like I did when I bought my Prius.

So, one day I said to my partner, why do you need three of them, he said, in case it snows...So I said, how many days did it snow this year? Zip, nada, zero...and last year, maybe three days. So I said, well can't you keep one or two four wheel drive Honda Pilots for snow days, and get something that burns less gas for simple commuting. He said, Oh, yeah, maybe that would be a good idea.

Hope you don't mind me poking fun...I too was traumatized when I bought my first foreign car.
    Fun? It's ALL fun!!

No, I didn't trade in a gas hog for it. Actually, I still drive my F-250 whenever I can. The way I drive, I get about 11mpg, but it's got a reserve tank, so I don't really mind. I also drive a F-150, as well as 2 Ford Windstars.

My favorite of all of them are the vans. Between the two of them, I've got 480,000 miles on them, and they are still going strong. My son really likes the van as the rear seats recline all the way, which makes it really comfortable for road trips.

The thing I like about the Pilot is that it sits a bit higher, and it's got the XM satelite. I have a friend that has a Pilot also, but she doesn't get as good mileage as mine. It might be because the transmission on the 2012 is a 6-speed auto instead of the 5.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    That wasn't Jay Leno?
    Nesmith's show, the guest skit was Jays.

The Miev actually has decent interior space for four if you can get over it's awkward appearance. Not that much luggage space...but it's a damn city car, it's not the "let's take the family on vacation car".
    I need room for the snowblower, topsoil, half barrels, Marshall Stacks, you know, typical urban stuff.

And as far as payback time...why do hybrid buyers have to justify that? IOW if a person buys a smaller Mercedes crossover vehicle for $60k, how long does that take to payback compared to buying a Rav4 at $25k? Buying a hybrid or EV is not all about saving money. People don't buy cars just to save money. If they did, we would all be driving around in KIAs and Hyundais without A/C and electric windows...because after all, how long would that take to pay back.

Some people are tree huggers, some are cheap,...I like buying less gasoline. The cost isn't the issue.
    I think the early adopters will pay more, but the average Jill or Joe are looking to reduce their transportation costs, especially as energy prices increase. Until the prices come down, and they will, spending 10k to save 5k looks to be about as smart as renting-to-own.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I was going to buy a Prius years ago when they firs hit the Florida market. One of my customers was the CSM at a local Toyota dealership. I went in, got the spheel on how it was the most advanced car on this side of the astral plane and thought I'd give it a shot.

I sat in the car...it had a CASSETTE player....really???!!!

I bought a 2001 Ford Explorer Sports Trac.......
    "Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde"

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    At least it didnt come with an 8 track. C'mon that was back in 2001. My 2010 came with an mp3 connector. If you got the blue tooth, you can hook up to almost anything.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    ah, my 201 Sports Trac came with a multi CD player and Sirius....and was $5k les than the Prius..........now, given the fact that I drive about 80mi for work, I would still consider a Prius. The new ones are nice...........by the guy at the Deacon Jones car lot in Selma has a Prowler....
    "Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde"

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Anyone ever hear the little take off spiff "In a Yugo" done to Elvis's "In the Getto?"

Sure makes me think of a lot of the gas saving minicars.

Chip

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Everybody thinks the Prius is a mini car. It is officially classified as a midsize. The interior space is often compared to a Camry.

Minicars include Cooper Mini, Smartcar, and that little Fiat thing. None of which I would take out on a highway for fear of getting killed.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Mini cars are anything under 4K lb. and under 250 HP. You should have grown up when cars were real and not influnced by Ralph Nader and the greenies. The kind of car that rocks side to side when you gun the engine in neutral.

Chip
    Last edited by chip anderson; 04-15-2012 at 03:54 PM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Just got back from DC...East Coast Glaucoma Conference. Took my Prius. Traffic was good. Averaged 60.5 mpg, you heard me. Average speed 57 mph.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I drove 650 miles Wednesday, in my Pilot. I averaged 25.8 miles on the trip, much of it through mountains. If I had averaged 16 mpg, I would have been just as satisfied, for I am 6'1, and enjoy the legroom, the headroom, the awesome acceleration, and the ability to haul 4,000 frames and still have room for luggage and a cooler.

Some thing are more important to me than mileage.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am thinking about getting one of these gas savers!

31KKafh1tZL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    Last edited by Fezz; 04-15-2012 at 03:46 PM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Actually starting to see things similar to this in NYC. Deliverymen are using them. Some of them are electric...quiet.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    I drove 650 miles Wednesday, in my Pilot. I averaged 25.8 miles on the trip, much of it through mountains. If I had averaged 16 mpg, I would have been just as satisfied, for I am 6'1, and enjoy the legroom, the headroom, the awesome acceleration, and the ability to haul 4,000 frames and still have room for luggage and a cooler.

Some thing are more important to me than mileage.
    I've got something similar to the Pilot. I use it for hauling stuff, not usually people.

I don't drive a Prius to save money, although it does.

New cars are nice, huh?

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Minicars include Cooper Mini, Smartcar, and that little Fiat thing. None of which I would take out on a highway for fear of getting killed.
    Cooper Mini is very spacious inside and built with BMW handling, You may be surprised.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by braheem24 View Post
    Cooper Mini is very spacious inside and built with BMW handling, You may be surprised.
    But its a two seater, and I can fit five in a pinch. And if somebody tailgates on your rear bumper, their front bumper is what, three feet from your head?

They do seem popular these days. I think people are changing their philosophy away from cars which are unnecessarily heavy, to save fuel.

As if you can't tell, alternative fuels, and saving fuel are an interest of mine.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    As if you can't tell, alternative fuels, and saving fuel are an interest of mine.

If you take into consideration the U.S. uses 20,000,000 barrels of oil per day at an average of $100 a barrel that's $2000,000,000 spent on oil per day or 700 billion a year, or $230 per person in the U.S.

That's not including the cost of wars and conflicts we endure to keep oil regions safe.

Cut the oil usage by 1/3 and the prices will drop to $30 a barrel and save 600 Billion dollars a year.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    When will we smarten up?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by braheem24 View Post
    Cooper Mini is very spacious inside and built with BMW handling
    Easy to park also.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    A hybrid car? Yes someday... but not yet. I talk to a lot of GM test drivers (live close to the Proving Grounds) and have been advised to wait 5-10 years. For now I drive a Honda CRV (my second one) but would like to switch to a car since I no longer have a 50 mile commute.

Thread Information