Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 38910111213

Thread: Hybrid cars...anybody got one?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I can't see a solution to the VW episode. I don't see how they can uninstall and reinstall anything short of a different engine that would actually comply with standards...which just isn't a practical thing. I'll bet some owners won't go in for the "repair" and VW will just have to pay a fine, not only for the cars that were made fraudulently from the get-go, but another penalty on the cars that remain "unfixed".

Meanwhile...I'm cruising along in my 2010 Prius, getting an average of 53 mpg...love this car, regardless of the price of gas.

Although I also own a fully battery electric car (Mitsubishi iMiev), I am not a fan of Tesla. Sure, its a great sexy, technologically advanced piece of machinery, but I wouldn't pay a plug nickel for it. In order to get that power and range, it has WAYYYYYY too many batteries.

Couple of problems with this car (IMHO)...1. When you plug it in you need a small power plant to charge it up in any reasonable period of time...not just a small re-wiring job at home. It's a big job. 2. Most of the time, people only travel short distances, say, less than 60 miles per day. It makes no sense to carry a couple thousand pounds of batteries for a 200 mile range (which really isn't if you use heat or AC or carry passengers and luggage). 3. So they say there is a network of Tesla charging stations in certain parts of the country, and it is a long distance car...but you might have to drive several hundred miles out of your way to get to one of these stations. In spite of all it's wiz-bang technology....it's just not a practical car.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I can't see a solution to the VW episode. I don't see how they can uninstall and reinstall anything short of a different engine that would actually comply with standards...which just isn't a practical thing. I'll bet some owners won't go in for the "repair" and VW will just have to pay a fine, not only for the cars that were made fraudulently from the get-go, but another penalty on the cars that remain "unfixed".

Meanwhile...I'm cruising along in my 2010 Prius, getting an average of 53 mpg...love this car, regardless of the price of gas.

Although I also own a fully battery electric car (Mitsubishi iMiev), I am not a fan of Tesla. Sure, its a great sexy, technologically advanced piece of machinery, but I wouldn't pay a plug nickel for it. In order to get that power and range, it has WAYYYYYY too many batteries, and WAYYYY too costly.

Couple of problems with this car (IMHO)...1. When you plug it in you need a small power plant to charge it up in any reasonable period of time...not just a small re-wiring job at home. It's a big job. 2. Most of the time, people only travel short distances, say, less than 60 miles per day. It makes no sense to carry a couple thousand pounds of batteries for a 200 mile range (which really isn't if you use heat or AC or carry passengers and luggage). 3. So they say there is a network of Tesla charging stations in certain parts of the country, and it is a long distance car...but you might have to drive several hundred miles out of your way to get to one of these stations. In spite of all it's wiz-bang technology....it's just not a practical car.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    VW/Audi has announced plans for electric cars to salvage some reputation

http://qz.com/505647/audi-is-going-a...ic-car-market/

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by fjpod View Post
    I am not a fan of Tesla. Sure, its a great sexy, technologically advanced piece of machinery, but I wouldn't pay a plug nickel for it. In order to get that power and range, it has WAYYYYYY too many batteries, and WAYYYY too costly.

They made a Tesla with a 40,60 and 85KW battery, 40 and 60 have been discontinued and replaced with 70 and 90KW as the new standard.

The house power requirements are 110V or an electric dryer outlet. 110V 15amp charges at 8MPH while the electric dryer outlet charges at 29MPH. They have an optional $750 High Power wall charger (Cost me $180 to install) that charges at 60MPH.

I drive 100 miles per day, it would be impractical for me to have no reserve if I decide to not go straight home.

The travel chargers charge at 400MPH where a 30 minute stop will get you 180 Miles of charge.

All chargers are at an exit off a major highway, 90% of the time you do not have to travel any further then a typical gas station to find one.

In Florida, there is a charger 1 hour away from my house in every direction. I can travel the united states without planning unless I'm going to Arkansas, Mississippi, West Texas, Wyoming and Nebraska.

Map of the charger locations:
    http://www.teslamotors.com/supercharger

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Sounds like the right thing for you. Different strokes for different folks. At least we're out there looking for alternatives.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by fjpod View Post
    Sounds like the right thing for you. Different strokes for different folks. At least we're out there looking for alternatives.
    agreed

Thread Information