Thread: cataract surgery

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

cataract surgery

Can anyone help me? I had cataract surgery on my right eye in 12/2004 and on my left eye 4/2005. The implant was 13.5 in the right and 20.5 in the left and now I am having a problem getting a good eyeglass prescription. I thought I would be easier to work with afterwords.
    Thank you
    Prescription before surgery:
    R: Plano add 2.25 with contact lens of -11.5
    L: -0.25 -2.25 x161 add of 2.25

Prescription after surgery:
    -0.37 add 2.75
    +0.25 -1.75 x168 add 2.75
    Last edited by cdavis6632; 07-07-2006 at 05:55 PM. Reason: add information

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Don't see no problem with making good spectacles with this Rx. Just don't opt for a no-line bifocal and you will be fine. Get a trifocal in something other than polycarbonate.

Chip

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    make sure you have a current eye exam. There is such thing as a "secondary cataract" or there may be another reason why you are having difficulty with your prescription. Otherwise, as Chip indicated, your rx is pretty routine.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson
    Don't see no problem with making good spectacles with this Rx. Just don't opt for a no-line bifocal and you will be fine. Get a trifocal in something other than polycarbonate.

Chip
    what if she was wearing a PAL before?

If it is properly fit she should have no problems.

To the patient. What troubles exactly are you having?

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    She now has a 275 add. A pal just ain't gonna make it. She is already complaining about acuity, a pal just ain't gonna make it. If she wants to look pretty, she should get a pal. If she wants to see she should get a straight top trifocal.

Chip

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sorry chip, i'm with for life on this one. I dispense a ton of progressive lenses in high adds...did one today at a +325 and another last week at +3.50 add. If the customer is wearing it they know no difference.Sure the reading area is smaller in a higher add but many people can't wear a trifocal as high as it needs to be to work properly. In fact in my shop where 70% of my customers are seniors I see daily examples of problems reading because their trifocals are fit too low(thats what they want). Also, your beef against Poly....sheesh. We just had a major thread on chromatic abberation and the majority of people have NO issues with it. Lenscrafters uses it (poly ) like water and in the US are the biggest retailer. Agreed flat tops are a decent lens and the oldest lens but the majority of people don't want it. I would reccomend a second opinion or recheck by the last eyedoctor to see where the issue is before getting a new pair of lenses.Also get a good set of progressive lenses like the Nikon W or varilux physio 360 or a zeiss individual progressive lens, the reading area is larger.
    Last edited by mike.elmes; 07-07-2006 at 09:58 PM.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by cdavis6632
    I am having a problem getting a good eyeglass prescription.
    Consumers are allowed to post on the Board, as long as the posts concern general eyecare related topics. However please be aware that any questions that involve diagnosing specific eyecare and eyewear problems are not appropriate for an online discussion forum. These kinds of questions should be discussed with a qualified eyecare professional who has examined you and is familiar with your situation. Posts asking for diagnostic help will be closed or removed.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson
    She now has a 275 add. A pal just ain't gonna make it. She is already complaining about acuity, a pal just ain't gonna make it. If she wants to look pretty, she should get a pal. If she wants to see she should get a straight top trifocal.

Chip
    Chip, I argue that you take 10 people who have been wearing PAL's for many years and now reach a 2.75 add, put them into a flat top or a trifocal, that you will get at least nine come back into your office and ask you to put them back into a PAL.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation

additional info

Well, this answer post is getting shorter and shorter, I keep getting logged off. I guess I don't type fast enough!
    Thank you all for responding.
    I don't have any medical problems that can be found except for beginning AMD in the left eye. I am only 53.
    My problems are with my right eye. At the end of the day the muscles in the right side of my face hurt so much from the strain of trying to focus for computer work and reading.

I have 3 different pairs of glasses and use them for 3 different things.
    I have had YAG laser on the right eye but that has not cured the blurriness.
    Sometimes images, such as on the wall, slide up and down.

I would like to know if it is possible to combine the things that I like from each pair into one pair. Maybe it would be easier to go with contact lenses?

cdavis6632
    PS I don't care how I look and would go with trifocals if that would help.
    Last edited by cdavis6632; 07-08-2006 at 08:51 PM. Reason: ADD

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It sounds like you may be minimizing the potential problems that may not be refractive. You indicate macular degeneration in one eye, but also mention having had laser done in the other. From a refractive perspective, that is, prescription-wise, there is no need to have eyestrain at all, unless you have the wrong prescription, or are using the right prescription at the wrong distance. You need more help than we can give you on this site. Talk to a good ophthalmologist and obtain your BEST CORRECTED acuities both near and distance, monocularly. Obtain a realistic summary of your diagnosis and prognosis, and consider the possiblility that you may have to face some facts about your vision. You may also consider a visit to an optometrist, as they may be able to spend more time with you to explain your situation in more detail. Better still, see both. Good luck.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Yet another set up. Why so many attempted set ups. Look for the 66 or the 99.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation

Opthamologist

None of the opthamologists in my town write prescriptions, they say there is no medical problem and send me over to their preferred optomatrist who writes a prescription and then sends me over to an optician who is responsible for measuring, ordering and fitting. I went to an opthamologist at Stanford who said that nothing is wrong and then sent me to her optomatrist who was supposed to take the time for fitting and measuring but he said that the optical department would do that.

The laser surgery on my right eye was for secondary cataract

cdavis6632

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    God I wish my practice was in your town, sounds like the three O's actually get along and behave ethicaly. Would be like a trip back in time.

Chip

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Big Smile I dispense a ton of progressive lenses in high adds.........................

Quote Originally Posted by mike.elmes
    I dispense a ton of progressive lenses in high adds...did one today at a +325 and another last week at +3.50 add. If the customer is wearing it they know no difference.

Also get a good set of progressive lenses like the Nikon W or varilux physio 360 or a zeiss individual progressive lens, the reading area is larger.
    When the manufacturing community is going to read this above statement they are going to fight among themselves which one can hire you as their spokesman for high add progressives advertising.
    :D

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by cdavis6632
    Well, this answer post is getting shorter and shorter, I keep getting logged off. I guess I don't type fast enough!
    Thank you all for responding.
    I don't have any medical problems that can be found except for beginning AMD in the left eye. I am only 53.
    My problems are with my right eye. At the end of the day the muscles in the right side of my face hurt so much from the strain of trying to focus for computer work and reading.

I have 3 different pairs of glasses and use them for 3 different things.
    I have had YAG laser on the right eye but that has not cured the blurriness.
    Sometimes images, such as on the wall, slide up and down.

I would like to know if it is possible to combine the things that I like from each pair into one pair. Maybe it would be easier to go with contact lenses?
    1. It's difficult to assess or suggest a solution in the vacuum. To better suggest something, you would need to post a complete rendition of your medical eye care such acuities, your age, appearance of the pupil post operatively, surgical approach (clear cornea, scleral tunneling, etc).

2. What was your preopoerative refraction and visual acuity? What was your binocular visions status prior to the surgery.

3. Are you using a computer? Progressive lenses in general are not suited well to computer use of over 1 hr in duration (manufacturer's own recommendations).

4. If you are posting excerpts of your problem, then it would be fair for the members of this post who see the whole person probelm to request additional insight into your medical condition. Less than that is strictly conjecture, I feel.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Once more with feeling...

Consumers are allowed to post on the Board, as long as the posts concern general eyecare related topics. However please be aware that any questions that involve diagnosing specific eyecare and eyewear problems are not appropriate for an online discussion forum. These kinds of questions should be discussed with a qualified eyecare professional who has examined you and is familiar with your situation. Posts asking for diagnostic help will be closed or removed.
    Last edited by Cindy Hamlin; 07-09-2006 at 06:40 PM.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Take two placebos and call my office in the AM.

Master OptiBoarder Cindy Hamlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am with Judy on this one. They are obviously asking for a diagnosis so therefore I am clsoing the thread.
    ~Cindy

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." -Catherine Aird-

Thread Information