Thread: Any free POS software?

OptiBoard Novice

Question Any free POS software?

Dear all,

I am looking for a free optometry store SOFTWARE.
    I tried my applications already to manage my stores, and none
    apprears to have it all.
    Maybe I can start with one that is free, and then try to modufy its
    source code.

ANY suggestion is greatly appreciated, please.

Sincerely, Pascal.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Now, let me get this straight, Pascal . . . You want someone to give you their intellectual property, not only the executable but the source code too. You are then going to modify the code.

Ok, have you ever worked with code that someone else has written; even well documented code? Who are you going to call when your modified code bombs? Do you promise not to sell the code?

Give me a break – it just ain’t done that way. Why don’t you just crank out exactly what you need yourself? I am sure that you do not work for nothing - why should anyone else?

Rising Star OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    There actually are a great deal of "free" programs out there written by individuals that made something to suite their needs and were nice enough to give it away for others to benefit. Its called freeware. probably about 80% of the software I use is freeware. Lots of great programs that do a wide variety of things.

The question is valid.

Haven't ever seen anything like that for optical/optometry though, except for perhaps some simply conversion calculators.

openoffice? might not be enough for your needs, but thats a great example of a free program that does a ton of things. Doubt you can mess with the source code though.

let us know if you find anything.

Occupation
    Like I said. Do it yourself. Here is all that you need:

http://dev.mysql.com/

OptiBoard Novice

Thumbs up Thanks.

Thank you for your prompt reply. Appreciated.

Exactly. I meant an application that has patients' data (info+RX prescription)
    and an order form (spectacle lens + frame + contact lens) from which I can
    start using, and then plan on modifying it to suit my needs. Later when I build
    it, I can share it with other optometrists' stores (shareware/freeware).

I think it's about time that one of us leads a project that will make everybody
    happy. I decided to do something and start something (hopefully not from scratch!)

Please send me the link if you happen to know about one.
    The dev link that rbaker gave me takes me to the general homepage, not
    to a specific project.

Waiting to hear from you.

Quote Originally Posted by orangezero
    There actually are a great deal of "free" programs out there written by individuals that made something to suite their needs and were nice enough to give it away for others to benefit. Its called freeware. probably about 80% of the software I use is freeware. Lots of great programs that do a wide variety of things.

The question is valid.

Haven't ever seen anything like that for optical/optometry though, except for perhaps some simply conversion calculators.

openoffice? might not be enough for your needs, but thats a great example of a free program that does a ton of things. Doubt you can mess with the source code though.

let us know if you find anything.

Optiwizard making films Audiyoda's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    My suggestion would be to create a template to your liking in MS Office Access or the database program of your choice.

The link that rbaker provided is to a software development portal - that might come in useful for you if you decide to write your own code.

I have looked for years for something that will fit what you want - a good friend of mine owns his own dispensary but does not employ a OD - simply walk-in business and referral business. We created a template in Access that works for him and does what he needs - this was after looking for any sort of freeware/shareware that even comes close to practice management software. So he manages the dispensary with Quickbooks and manages patients with his Access database.

And before you ask - no, I am not willing to release the template I helped to create. It took too much my my own man hours to get it just right - I (and my friend) see it as our creation and it will remain as such.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Want fast and easy? Just get FileMaker or MS Access (not free). Want better? Php/MySQL as another has already suggested.

I can tell ya one thing... my custom database & scripts will never be given away.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Hi Saids,

My name is Zachary Barvitz and I am the CMO for Liquid Software Designs, we are currently in the process of developing a free version of our practice management software LiquidVision. We are expecting the release date to be sometime in April of 2007, Liquid Software Designs will issue a press release to OptiBoard once it's available.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation

Free POS Software

You may consider Compiere which is a open source product with millions of downloads so far. It is a fully integrated business software that features POS, accounting, inventory management, work order management, customer relationship management and more.

It is a great solution for your business. You can find more information on http://www.compiere.ca

By the way, if you like something simple and quick, you could try http://www.bossmiles.net and that may be your answer.

Good luck.

SPoon

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation

try Point of View

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    the above (pointofviewsoftware) looks awesome! i'm looking for software mostly for inventory...i'm in a medical office and they track the sales for me so i just need to deal with frames, lenses and labs. if anyone knows of any other type of inventory only software, i'd appreciate it!

stephanie

Thread Information