Thread: Do frame inventory barcode systems work?

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Ophthalmologist

Do frame inventory barcode systems work?

I was thinking of instituting a frame inventory system in my optical shop. Currently there is no system at all. I am concerned that without any system there may be thefts, fraud, loss etc. For example, we are in a medical building which is regularly serviced on weekends by janitors, maintenance men etc. We also have occasional part-time help etc. My idea was that every frame that comes in should be scanned when it arrives. Likewise, every frame that is sold should be scanned. Obviously this should keep track of what's happening to our inventory on-hand. However, there are some cases in which the optician has frames drop shipped from the manufacturer to the lab...in these instances the inventory system would not help. We do not have any optical software of any kind in place. Therefore, this would have to be a standalone system. Anyone have any experience, tips, hints or advice about whether this is worth doing?

OptiBoard Apprentice OptiBoard Bronze Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I was also considering this idea as well for our office. Not only with frames, but with CLs and any stock lenses too. As far as dropping shipping, when the order is placed, you can ask for the OPC/UPC code and enter it in manually into whatever system you plan on getting, thus still being able to keep tabs on the inventory.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Back to Accounting 101. Technically, and according to GAAP, these items are not considered inventory as you do not actually purchase them and hold them in your possession prior to sale. Any off the shelf accounting system will handle this chore for you. The problem is insuring that you and your employees record every item that enters and leaves your possession. This is why, inventory records are probably the least efficient method of tracking slippage and theft and are seldom used for this purpose.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Ophthalmologist
    There must be a misunderstanding here. If I have purchased the frames and they are sitting on my board...then they are inventory. If every incoming/outgoing frame is barcoded and scanned it should leave a very tidy paper trail as to what should be on the board at any one time. This could be audited on a quarterly basis. Therefore, I am not understanding either one of your points.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

bar code

If you find a good system let me know I'm also looking it to it?

Bad address email on file jherman's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

I have begun

Our system is a supplement to the Micro Med system our practice uses, Optik.

We have a college student entering particulars and assigning bar code tags to our inventory items. For all the current models frames she is able to transfer frame info from the Frame Fax disk. Once all items are given a Bar Code a physical inventory will follow.

This project has been a long time coming.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Thumbs up

Just to clarify; some people have consignment inventory and some purchase theirs. We use VisualEyes software and a Palm barcode system and it works fine. When you go out to scan, you are doing a physical inventory. Takes about 15 minutes. Reconciling discrepancies (stolen frames, etc.) takes longer. When you receive, sell, or return a frame, you scan it. In the software, the frame sold is linked to the patient's file and work orders and invoices are generated from there.

Thread Information