Thread: My ELOA'S NEW 50% Dr. Redo policy?!!?!

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Angry My ELOA'S NEW 50% Dr. Redo policy?!!?!

I just got dinged with a 50% charge on a 1st time Dr.'s rx change. New policy as of January but this is the first invoice I've seen it on.

WTF???

CDOT
    how much did it used to be?...up here it can range from 20 to 100% discount on drs change/

Occupation
    1st redo, N/C. 2nd - 50%. 3rd - 100%

Occupation
    Lab redoes at anything less than full charge for Doctor errors encourages doctor errors. Lab redoes at anything less than full charge for optician errors encourages optician errors.

Wouldn’t life be just ducky if you got a Mulligan on all of your stupid choices and bad decisions.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by optigrrl
    I just got dinged with a 50% charge on a 1st time Dr.'s rx change. New policy as of January but this is the first invoice I've seen it on.

WTF???
    Progressives should come under a manufacturers refit policy. n/c

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker
    Wouldn’t life be just ducky if you got a Mulligan on all of your stupid choices and bad decisions..

...Like choosing the wrong lab to deal with?

Occupation
    Well, it wasn't what I had originally signed up for.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Blue Jumper Wouldn’t life be just ducky if you got ...................

Wouldn’t life be just ducky if you got a Mulligan on all of your stupid choices and bad decisions.
    In Europe there has never been a replacement, warranta, redo-policy on progressive lenses.

If you the optician or the doctor boo boos it's your fault. If the patient wants a redo out if his own idea without a mistake having been made he pays 100%.

That is why people who eant progressives and should not have them and force the optician to make them will have to cough up the money for a replacement.

There is also a much better or near 100% success rate in the ones that are being sold.

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Feeling a little pompous are we???........

Lab redoes at anything less than full charge for Doctor errors encourages doctor errors. Lab redoes at anything less than full charge for optician errors encourages optician errors.

How much better the above would have read IF it said:

"Wouldn’t life be just ducky if you got a Mulligan on all of OUR stupid choices and bad decisions."

Unless, of course, the author never made one.
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

And those scratch warranties. Unless you are Essilor (and making your own progressives) these things really cut into the profits. It's stuff like this makes it hard to get and keep good employees. Freking dispensers beat us to death with this stuff. Wonder what they will do when there only lab choice is Essilor. And they have to buy all their frames from Lenscrafters. Don't get me wrong. Essilor is fine. One of the things that keeps us all fine is legitimate competition.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Scratch remakes are manufact. warranty against defect product, not when Mrs. Jones tossses her specs into handbag without a case, or Opticians ruin in edger and use screw driver to "fake" scratches". Returns hurt everyone.

I doubt that this is part of Essilors strategy to dominate the market, ask anyone from Zeiss/Sola, Signet etc. I'm sure they all experience the woes of heavy returns. My company eats millions per year, and most are not legit returns. Non adapts were created back when PAL designs were not so great, today if you are an educated optician and use a quality product (and there are many available) you should have a very high success rate. The trouble is there are too many "Mcticians "out there (people who worked at Mcdonals yesterday and today call themselves opticians) and they are fitting and dispensing improperly.
    Some could say returns for the lab are the cost of doing business but I think everyone needs to look at this problem or lens prices will continue to skyrocket. I urge each dispenser to know his/hers percentage of returns and then ask yourself - "Could I continue business as usual if 15% or say 20% of my customers walked back through the door and demanded 100% refunds?"

I think 50% for a Dr's remake is very generous, however if policy was changed with out your prior knowledge you should speak to your lab rep for some consideration. A talk with your Dr. may be in order as well.

Occupation
    Harry – My apologies to you on my mproper wording in my post. Yes, it is true that I am an egotistical, pompous, self centered SOB, However, I was responding to the posts of others and I thought it would be OK to use the “you” word.

Also, while it is no excuse, I have just returned to the Commonwealth and occasionally forget that should be more tolerant of others and not hurt their feelings. Heaven forbid that I ever insult anyone. I apologize to all the rest of you out there.

Now, concerning errors, misjudgments and screw-ups, I probably hold a worlds record. I can , and on many occasions have, screwed up a wet dream so clearly I am not casting any stones at anyone. My point is, I take full responsibility for my actions and willingly bear the consequences. I do not expect someone to come along, pat me on the **** (behind or bum OK?), say there, there now, post my bail and send me on my way. I realize that that’s no longer the “American Way” and many readers will not have the foggiest idea of what I am speaking about.

So, again, my apologies. And, in order to save bandwidth, I also apologize for my sarcasm.

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    rbaker- it is perfecty fine to use the "your" word , I would have changed the spelling to you're! :):)
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Has anyone else had any experience with a change in ELOA Dr Change policies? Just curious.

Optiwizard making films Audiyoda's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I work with three ELOA labs (well two, but I have three price books) - policy is 50% on any professional change except PAL non-adapt which is 100% into a D-seg in the same material/coatings. 2nd professional remake is 25%, 3rd is 0.

Since when has any ELOA lab offered a 100% professional remake policy? I know with VSP I get 1 'courtesy' remake within 6 months at 100%, but I've never seen any ELOA lab offer 100% on a professional remake.

Occupation
    Since I started with them 3 yrs ago, it was always:

1st Dr's Redo = free
    2nd Dr's Redo = 50%
    3rd Dr's Redo = 100%

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Thanks. The price list I have wasn't clear about the policies.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Stone
    And those scratch warranties. Unless you are Essilor (and making your own progressives) these things really cut into the profits. It's stuff like this makes it hard to get and keep good employees. Freking dispensers beat us to death with this stuff. Wonder what they will do when there only lab choice is Essilor. And they have to buy all their frames from Lenscrafters. Don't get me wrong. Essilor is fine. One of the things that keeps us all fine is legitimate competition.
    Are you kidding? I would argue that less than 10% of my patients return their lenses for a scratch warranty. In the meantime, the lab has generated income off the sale of a hard coating that doesn't really cost that much to apply once they have the equipment.

So the lab profits off more than 90% of their warranty sales, and only has to lose on less than 10% of them. That HAS to more than offset the occasional scratch warranty remake deal.

-Steve

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by optigrrl
    Since I started with them 3 yrs ago, it was always:

1st Dr's Redo = free
    2nd Dr's Redo = 50%
    3rd Dr's Redo = 100%
    I called the president of one of my labs (and a good friend of mine) - ELOA's policy is 50% on first redo, 25% on second, 0 on third - it's been ELOA's policy since Essilor purchased the Omega labs back in the 90's. It's been their hard and fast rule for the past 5 years.

Many ELOA partner labs (new concept for ELOA owned labs) were not following that policy so from what I understand, that's been taken care of starting this year. So my guess is that your ELOA lab is a partner lab and got caught with their pants down - now they have to follow the policy letter for letter.

Occupation
    cj - thanks for the info. The only problem I had was that I didn't receive a memo.

Optical Clairvoyant OptiBoard Bronze Supporter Andrew Weiss's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by cjcarlen
    Many ELOA partner labs (new concept for ELOA owned labs)
    I'm curious about "partner labs". The lab we use for 90% of our non-VSP work is being "partially purchased" by Essilor (the words in quotes were the ones used by the lab's sales rep). At first I thought that was a euphamism, like "a little pregnant", but now I wonder.

Could someone fill me in on how this Essilor "partner lab" arrangement works? In particular, what impact will that have on the agreement we presently have with the lab on discounts etc?

Thanks, folks.
    Andrew

"One must remember that at the end of the road, there is a path" --- Fortune Cookie

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Weiss
    I'm curious about "partner labs". The lab we use for 90% of our non-VSP work is being "partially purchased" by Essilor (the words in quotes were the ones used by the lab's sales rep). At first I thought that was a euphamism, like "a little pregnant", but now I wonder.

Could someone fill me in on how this Essilor "partner lab" arrangement works? In particular, what impact will that have on the agreement we presently have with the lab on discounts etc?

Thanks, folks.
    As I understand "Essilor Partner Labs" - and this comes from my friend who is the president of one - they are Essilor owned or will become Essilor owned (after a give transitional time, usually 5 years) but retain the decision making process at the lab level - not at the corporate level. Basically Essilor figured out that one generic SOP doesn't fit all labs - so new Essilor purchases are becoming 'partner labs'. Partner Labs have the autonomy to run things at the lab level while still having to answer to the corporate goals - but they can attain those goals by creating their own marketing and sales plans that are unique to that lab.

A quick example - Essilor recently purchased National Optronics. The plan being that Essilor Labs will utilize National Optronic's equipment - especially edgers. And although I think the Optronics7 is a good edger, it has it's flaws and limitations. But Essilor owned labs will be full of them. Partner labs will be 'encouraged' to purchase National Optronics equipment but don't have to - they can utilize other vendors if they feel their products are a better fit in that lab.

What I personally like about Partner Labs is that they will not have to follow the Essilor National Sales pricing (set to hit all of us ELOA users this fall). They can create their own pricing (based on Essilor prices) and can still retain the discounts they had been offering. Of course for this is a moot point for VisionSource pricing.

Professional Rabble-Rouser hipoptical's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I am encouraged to see the posts in defense of the "new" redo policy. I hate to sound like I agree with the Empire, but this is good policy. Do your job correctly, whether you are a dispenser or an Optometrist, and it wouldn't matter. You buy the lens for $ and resale it for $$$; you collect up front, and expect to get 30 day billing from your lab- and a discount for "prompt pay" or for belonging to a "group". Stop your whining. If you want to be considered a professional, start acting like one. Otherwise, join LC's commodities-selling team.

Optical Clairvoyant OptiBoard Bronze Supporter Andrew Weiss's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thank you, CJ, for the information and insight. We're very fond of our lab, they do high-quality work, and I'm glad to hear that they will retain control over their in-house operations. And our business manager is happy to hear that our discount agreement will remain intact :D
    Andrew

"One must remember that at the end of the road, there is a path" --- Fortune Cookie

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Weiss
    Thank you, CJ, for the information and insight. We're very fond of our lab, they do high-quality work, and I'm glad to hear that they will retain control over their in-house operations. And our business manager is happy to hear that our discount agreement will remain intact :D
    I can only speak from experience in that I am 150% comfortable with my lab which is also a ELOA partner lab. Not that I doubt my friend, but what he's told me thus far has remained true - our discounts have not changed nor has their quality.

Thread Information