Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My doctor won't sign this...

OptiBoard Apprentice

My doctor won't sign this...

Been talking to a doctor about having Lasik surgery done. Except he won't answer and sign form w/ following 5 questions:

1. Have you had a successful refractive surgery malpractice claim of greater than $30,000? Details on separate page if Yes.

2. Have you ever had malpractice insurance coverage denied?

3. Are you currently under investigation by the agency that provides the license that allows you to perform refractive surgery? Has this license ever been revoked, suspended, or otherwise restricted? Are you on any sort of license probation.

4. Have you ever had your Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) certification revoked, suspended, or otherwise restricted?

5. Is the laser and equipment (hardware and software) you will use for my surgery specifically approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for the recommended procedure and intended parameters? If no, explain why it is not FDA approved and/or off-label use.

I think this is not a good sign. So far I have decided not to do it unless doctor sign it. What do you all think about the questions and my wish to have it in writing?

Tom

PS - 1st time poster

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    I think those are all quite reasonable questions to ask.
    "It's not impossible. I used to bull's-eye womp rats in my T-16 back home."

OptiBoard Apprentice

I did ask...

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi
    I think those are all quite reasonable questions to ask.
    I verbally ask some of these questions and doctor's reply was positive during exam. It's just when I ask for it in writing, they refuse to answer.

It was receptionist who told me they won't sign it so I ask doctor to call me. So far, no call yet.

FYI - It's the Yaldo Eye Center in Detroit-metro area, MI.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    For some of those questions the answer may be the one you dislike but the doctor is unable to sign it. There are cases where lawsuits are filed and the results are never made public, whether the doctor was right or wrong.

I think the best thing to do is contact the regulatory body and ask them if there are any outstanding complaints about the doctor.

OptiBoard Apprentice

No lose situation for doctor...

Quote Originally Posted by Ory
    For some of those questions the answer may be the one you dislike but the doctor is unable to sign it. There are cases where lawsuits are filed and the results are never made public, whether the doctor was right or wrong.

I think the best thing to do is contact the regulatory body and ask them if there are any outstanding complaints about the doctor.
    I ask him verbally about any previous malpractice lawsuit and he emphatically said he got sued once and jury came back in half hour on his side.

From a possible lawsuit pt of view, if he answers that he had previously got his license suspended and I still went ahead w/ surgery and things do go really bad. Then any lawsuit I'd file would be weaken since I knew AHEAD of time of this fact and still went ahead. Of course, all this depends on him answer questionnaire TRUTHFULLY.

Knowing if he's license now or has no current complaints won't mean much if he's been suspended before or had complaints previously. Maybe he's new to the state (which I know for a fact, he's not), then his license is in "probation" period, which is understandable. But then again, call me to discuss it.

Thing I don't get is I already ask some of these questions before and he answer them positively, but when I ask them in writing, he has refuse to answer, so far.
    Last edited by gmitran; 06-30-2006 at 01:40 PM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It sounds as though you would be a PIA patient. There would be NO way I'd even make your glasses. If you dont trust the doctor then dont go to him. No doc in his/her right mind would sign such a statement. Let us know if you find a doc willing to sign your "paperwork". Good luck
    Paul:cheers:

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I seriously doubt there's any doctor that would actually sign something like your requesting. Think about it and put yourself in his shoes. I understand why you want to know but there are other ways to get your questions answered rather than the route your going.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    As an optometrist I wouldn't be sure if such a statement could be a problem with my insurance. He may be guarded as to whether you would be likely to sue if anything went wrong???
    I do however agree that a patient has a right to such information. The laser firm I use in this country actually publishes its problems and the resolution.

On the Sunset Tour! Framebender's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

What is it with engineers. . .??

I deal with alot of you since Martin Marietta & Ball Aerospace are close by, but I often wonder if you guys just have too much time on your hands or what?!? Nobody in their right mind is going to sign that. Come on, get a clue! Do you ask the guy at the resturant to sign a release saying he's had no health code violations, been convicted of a felony or otherwise done anything immoral??

Its not going to work, but thank you for playing!! Find someone you feel comfortable with and go for it, or don't get it done. With your little form you look like a lawsuit waiting to happen!
    Days where my gratitude exceed my expectations are very good days!

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by shellrob
    I seriously doubt there's any doctor that would actually sign something like your requesting. Think about it and put yourself in his shoes. I understand why you want to know but there are other ways to get your questions answered rather than the route your going.
    As a patient, I don't think I'm being paranoid if doctor won't sign it nor talk to me why he won't sign it. Answer I received so far is doctor is too busy!!!

Maybe you can explain to me "What being in his shoes mean?" (Not trying to be a smart-***) (Word removed by moderator)
    Last edited by Cindy Hamlin; 06-30-2006 at 08:18 PM. Reason: remove attend to get around blocker for word

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    See framebenders response. It's one thing to need or want to know the answers to the questions and I don't blame you for wanting to knwo, BUT, he answered your questions. Asking him to sign something is ridiculous and like I and framebender said, no one in their right mind will sign it. It's like asking for a lawsuit.

OptiBoard Apprentice

Compare apples to apples!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Framebender
    I deal with alot of you since Martin Marietta & Ball Aerospace are close by, but I often wonder if you guys just have too much time on your hands or what?!? Nobody in their right mind is going to sign that. Come on, get a clue! Do you ask the guy at the resturant to sign a release saying he's had no health code violations, been convicted of a felony or otherwise done anything immoral??

Its not going to work, but thank you for playing!! Find someone you feel comfortable with and go for it, or don't get it done. With your little form you look like a lawsuit waiting to happen!
    All the questions I'm asking are related to his SKILL as a surgeon who's about to perform surgery on my EYES. If you think that's comparable to a restaurant cook or a doctor private lifestyle, then you're just bit clue less.

I got the following questions from this link... http://www.usaeyes.org/lasik/faq/las...-questions.htm when I did research on Lasik.

BTW - How did you come to conclusion I worked for Martin Marietta? You seems to make lots of "jumping to conclusions." What, ALL engineers in Detroit work for one company???

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by shellrob
    See framebenders response. It's one thing to need or want to know the answers to the questions and I don't blame you for wanting to knwo, BUT, he answered your questions. Asking him to sign something is ridiculous and like I and framebender said, no one in their right mind will sign it. It's like asking for a lawsuit.
    My concern is did he answer it TRUTHFULLY. I don't want it to become a "he said, she said" situation, if I don't have it in writing.

These questions are black and white as to answers. There's not much gray area.

On the Sunset Tour! Framebender's Avatar
    Occupation

I didn't realize that. . .

you were here in Denver. I said Martin & Ball are close by and I am in Denver. Maybe you should read more carefully. You don't think you could die from ecoli? Yes, I admit to being clueless as to what makes engineers tick. Is it genetic, enviromental, I give up!!

The fact remains I doubt you're going to find anyone who is going to sign your form. I worked for TLC here in Denver for a couple of years and I don't know any of the surgeons that would have signed your little form. They're really good surgeons too!

If you can't hang I'm sorry!!
    Days where my gratitude exceed my expectations are very good days!

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Framebender
    you were here in Denver. I said Martin & Ball are close by and I am in Denver. Maybe you should read more carefully. You don't think you could die from ecoli? Yes, I admit to being clueless as to what makes engineers tick. Is it genetic, enviromental, I give up!!

The fact remains I doubt you're going to find anyone who is going to sign your form. I worked for TLC here in Denver for a couple of years and I don't know any of the surgeons that would have signed your little form. They're really good surgeons too!

If you can't hang I'm sorry!!
    I may not get a doctor to sign the form but your logic comparing my inquiry as to an eye surgeon qualification (or lack thereof) to a cook still doesn't wash.

The consequences of eating at a suspended-license restaurant is just "bit" different than having a suspended-license surgeon makes cut on your cornea. NO???

OptiBoard Apprentice

One more thing...

This practice is having a 50% off sale on competitor's quote. IMHO, all the more reasons to be cautious.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by gmitran
    I verbally ask some of these questions and doctor's reply was positive during exam. It's just when I ask for it in writing, they refuse to answer.

It was receptionist who told me they won't sign it so I ask doctor to call me. So far, no call yet.

FYI - It's the Yaldo Eye Center in Detroit-metro area, MI.
    They ARE reasonable questions. BUT this MD figures you must be looking for trouble. MOST patients, probly not any yet at this office, do not ask for such a thing. It implies distrust. Hell, I'd tell you to go somewhere else and never come back. I'd put a note on your chart!

Master OptiBoarder
    Back in NYC.....Shenzhen, China and Hong Kong
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Stone
    They ARE reasonable questions. BUT this MD figures you must be looking for trouble. MOST patients, probly not any yet at this office, do not ask for such a thing. It implies distrust. Hell, I'd tell you to go somewhere else and never come back. I'd put a note on your chart!
    I am in agreement with Jim and I would show you the front door. Others here have voiced similar opinion and felt that you were a problem waiting to happen.

What you want to know is not unreasonable but how you want to find out is, IMHO, on the disrespectful side. A simple call to professional licensing in his state can provide you some information you want. You can also do an online search on some pay sites that will provide you the information.

If your online search as well as contacting professional licensing fail to find anything negative in your doctors history then you should be satisfied and the doctor would never know of the research you did about him. It doesn't seem like a good plan to potentially antagonize the person who you are seeking care from.

Doc

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Good, Bad, Ugly

However it is taken, you came for answers and obviously aren't satisfied with what you've received, either from the doctor's practice or here. Every doctor has a right to accept a patient or not...looks like this one has decided not to accepted you. Accept the answer/answers.

Just my thoughts,
    Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Been talking to a doctor about having Lasik surgery done. Except he won't answer and sign form w/ following 5 questions:
    Dear gmitran,

Alternative questions which may yield better information:
    1. How many LASIK procedures have you done where the central corneal thickness and refraction are similar as mine?

2. What is your mechanism or process for handling post operative complications? Do you see the patients at regular intervals at your own facility or do you have an arrangements with any doctors locally where I live?

3. How is the keratome/ring sterilized between each patient?

4. Do you pretreat patients with any kind of topical medication to improve post operative comfort or outcomes?

5. IWhen your cases did experience post-operative infection or inflammation, what was the likely cause or reason found?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

idea

gmitran, why not just go in with your lawyer to start with, after all most of them are nearsighted and perhaps you could work out a two for one deal, plus the attorney would have two lawsuits.

OptiBoard Novice
    This practice is having a 50% off sale on competitor's quote. IMHO, all the more reasons to be cautious.
    gmitran, have you read your own statement? WHY, would you want to go to this doc? Hell, by your above stated logic, you should find the MOST expensive doc in town. you should be happy.

OptiBoard Apprentice

Came to wrong board for answers...

Given that I came to a board mostly filled w/ service providers (edit), I guess the answers will always be skewered.

I find it very interesting that most said my questions are reasonable yet very next sentence said it's insulting and rediculous to ask. If I'm about to do business w/ someone and I ask them what their past business are like but then is told they won't tell me the answer but I have to do research of it on my own. I'm out of of there and so will most people.

The way I look at it, if you have never been sued, suspended, etc, then this shouldn't be a problem. How can this possibly hurt you if you answer truthfully? There's no gray area on answers. If surgery goes well, then this is moot. If you screwed up surgery and all answers are positive, then this is moot. If you screwed up surgery and the impact of you having lost a malpractice suit (license suspended, etc) would be significantly less because I knew of it BEFORE the surgery, any law novice knows this.

I find it interesting that questions I had are verbatim from a non-profit organization run by doctors is yet taken as scam for a lawsuit.
    http://www.usaeyes.org/lasik/faq/la...h-questions.htm If I'm looking for a lawsuit, I don't want this questionaire. In law, the more gray, the better off you are. BTW - Paying doctor $2400 and hoping for him to screw up enough to have you go blind (or similar) is not exactly the best way to pull a scam.

NPDR... I have cover those types of questions in our exam. They're similar to those found in link above. Thx. As a follow-up, would most doctors show me the door if I ask for these anwers in writing?
    Last edited by gmitran; 07-01-2006 at 01:50 PM.

OptiBoard Apprentice

Most idiotic thing I've heard from a service provider

It doesn't seem like a good plan to potentially antagonize the person who you are seeking care from.

Doc[/QUOTE]

This tells me a whole lot about you. It's YOUR JOB TO MAKE ME FEEL COMFORTABLE WHEN I'M PAYING YOU TO PUT A LASER BEAM IN MY EYES. NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND.

Rising Star OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    it just smacks of a bad, picky patient. those are what they avoid. If you are so worried, why lasik?? I understand wanting to get the best surgeon..

Most on this board are probably not doctors.

Thread Information