Thread: 1st time PAL buyer questions

OptiBoard Novice

1st time PAL buyer questions

I have a new prescription and now need bifocals and am shopping in the strange new world (for me anyway) of progressive lens.

My rx is

OD –4.75 -0.25 x 150 Add +1.75
    OS -5.75 –0.25 x 117 Add +1.75

The problems I had with my vision that prompted a check-up were trouble with distance (ie trouble following the flight of a golf ball) and with close up tasks (ie clipping my nails or reading). I work at a computer all day.

In the past with a single vision Rx I never ever thought about the brand or features of the lens itself, I just got what I was given with the frames I picked and my vision problems were corrected. I’ve never thought of glasses or vision correction as creating compromises that I had to balance off (except for a compromise in the style or look that you want).

I started by shopping for frames but am now realizing that with a PAL needed, that the lens are the more important decision and that there will defiantly be compromises in how I see with the PAL’s.

Most of the places I have been shopping are selling the Nikon and / or the Essilor lenses.
    And most are offering me the Nikon Premier or GO - or the Essilor Comfort lens in a 1.6 index and saying that these are fine for a first time progressive user with my Rx.

Optical stores that sell both brands have told me that the Essilor has a larger intermediate distance area than the Nikon and that’s the important area for use with a computer, so Essillor is my better choice.

A few of things I’ve noticed and questions I’ve got:

1) Other than the information on Nikon’s own web site – I’ve found very little information on Nikon lens’s. Even on this board, they are not discussed very much.

The Nikon dispenser’s I’ve talked to high-light the lens coatings as being the “best in the world” – but no one has made claims about the quality of the lens optics.

How are Nikon regarded in their lens quality?

Are Nikon lens’s widely used in optometry? (or are they primarily an industrial & photographic applications lens maker that’s just dabbling in optometry)?

2) I’ve seen the thread with the link to the OSU studies and there are lots of lens manufacturers listed there that I’ve never heard of and have never been offered? I notice that the Essilor Varilux Comfort lens is not very highly rated in the Distance/Intermediate combined zone ratings (chart 5 of the 2006 OSU study) and Nikon’s are not in the study at all. This chart 5 is noted in the study as the one to consult if you work at a computer a lot. From looking at Nikon’s & Essilor’s web sites, the Premier & Comfort seem to be the bottom end of their product range and the Essilor Comfort lens has been commented on this board as being an older design.

Am I being offered the bottom of the barrel bargain brand lens lines?

3) I’ve been steered to larger frames than I have worn in the past and although I’m not thrilled with this - I understand why that will be an advantage to adapting to progressives for a first time user like me. The frames I like the best so far are from a company called GYM. I have been web researching the frames I like too, abut I have not been able to find anything at all on GYM frames. I’m told it is a Japanese brand – but I’m confused as to why I can find nothing (I mean zip ziltch zero) on this brand on the web?

Can anyone tell me about this brand?

Do they make a good product?

Do they have a website?

4) I’m a golfer and I’m beginning to understand that progressives and golf do not mix well. I’m considering getting a second pair of single vision sun glasses with my distance Rx only for golf and perhaps driving. But this means I will not be able to see the score card clearly.

Do you have any comments or other suggestions for golfers?

5) My take so far is that Essilor seems to the be the General Motors of the progressive lens industry – trying to cover the largest segment of the mass market with good middle of the road products but not necessarily great products. I’m a little concerned that with the Comfort lens I would be buying something that’s a little long in the tooth.

I’m primarily a value buyer , I look for the best value – not the cheapest product (for instance I drive a Camry) can someone suggest some best value brands of Progressive lens I should consider?

Sorry for the long post & T.I.A for any suggestions the board can offer.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You need to do a search on the same subject and you'll see that this questin has been answered what seems like a million times. Same goes with the differences in progressive lenses. The bottom line is, find a reputable Optician in town and they will be able to help you better than anyone on here.

You also might want to read the poster guildlines before a moderator on here tells you to.

Occupation
    Optical Retail

nikon lens

Nikon uses an Essilor design, called the Ovation, for their No-Lines. Its a great lens, but the intermediate area is not as good as the Essilor Natural. Still, myself being an optician, i would fit someone in the ovation first, and use natural for like a second or spare pair.
    hope that helps

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper Do they have a website?

Quote Originally Posted by 1st timer
    Do they have a website?

Do you have any comments or other suggestions for golfers?
    You can find all these related website links on my page at http://optochemicals.com/web_ratings.htm

also check the following site on progressives:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progressive_lenses

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I have opinions for your choices, but without me being there in person I am rather useless.

I will say one thing though. Try the PAL, even for golf. Then later if you feel it is hurting your golf game go back to the place where you got your glasses from and get a second pair.

I agree with joshy.
    Initial attempt is to try helping patient with Ovation and may be use Naturals for another pair or later use.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by 66Lenses
    I agree with joshy.
    Initial attempt is to try helping patient with Ovation and may be use Naturals for another pair or later use.
    66, so do you actually work in the industry in an office seeing pts daily or do you just sell cls online?

CIndy

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    I'm sorry, but in my opinion both the Essilor Natural and Ovation are outdated and soon to be obsolete PAL designs, especially the Natural. It is so easy to tell what ECPs work where when recommending PAL designs. I personally have worked in both retail (corporate) optometry/optical and private practice. 9 times out of 10 a retail chain will recommend an Essilor lens and the independent practice will recommend 10 or 12 different products, most of which are not available to retail outlets. My pick when working in a retail environment was the Ovation and Natural too, but that was almost 5 years ago. Fortunately technology has come such a long way in the past few years. If I were to buy a computer today and the salesperson were to recommend a technology from 5 years ago, I would feel let down and question their knowledge of the product they sell.

2cents

Thread Information