Thread: Should I worry about the Choices

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

Should I worry about the Choices

I recently saw my OD for a new prescription and he finally insisted on Bifocals/progressives. My prescription is:

+1.50 -.75 x107
    +1.00 -1.50 x081
    add +1.00
    os Prism only

I have not really been impressed with the new Optician. The only choices offered were Physio and Definity. I had done some research here so I was somewhat informed. In the end, I felt that I knew more than she did about the choices.

After quite a bit of research here, I am struggling with the variables associated with each of the lense types discussed here. I don't mind spending a few bucks for the best product, but I don't know how to go about ensuring that I make the right choice (near vs. intermediate vs. peripheral distortion, etc.). I am not excited about the compromises that I will have to be making coming from an SV lense. Therefore, I want to minimize the downsides as much as possible.

Should I be worrying with the relatively light prescription that I have? Will I be able to notice a difference among the various lens options? At my prescription, should I be spending the extra $ for these top of the line lenses?

Thanks for any guidance that you can provide.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper

Quote Originally Posted by lr172
    I recently saw my OD for a new prescription and he finally insisted on Bifocals/progressives. My prescription is:

+1.50 -.75 x107
    +1.00 -1.50 x081
    add +1.00
    os Prism only
    With that simple of a Rx you are a perfect candidate for progressive lense. At a 1.00 D addition just any progressive will do and you wont have to go for the most expensive one.

However in a few years when the reading addition increases you will have to be more careful when the reading part gets smaller every time and the lateral distortion of the lens gets larger.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The Physio and Definity are excellent lenses. They are two of the primary offerings by the Essilor family.

If you are concerned about the optician recommending only "the top of the line" and price, be aware that they could be offering the Physio 360 or the Ipseo instead which are customized free form lenses and significantly more.

It maybe in there pricing system that there isn't a difference in price for each lens style, but maybe by tiers..

For example in our office we have the Gradal Top, Genesis, Piccolo, Ovation, at one price, the primary varilux and creation at another, and then the customizable free forms lenses at a 3rd...

Both are excellent lenses, but if you are unsure, maybe you should shop around and meet with another optician or two to get a feel of who you do trust.

Cassandra
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

New Progressives

I believe Chris was right on with the suggestion about getting something inexpensive to start with. Progressive lens distortions are a fact of life but always less apparent and easier to become aquainted with when you are a first time wearer and have a lower add power. You might also consider at this time taking one of your old frames in and having a pair of flat-top 28 bifocals made up to compare to the progressives at a minimal cost. Nothing will help you better understand the pro's and con's of progressives than being made aware of the inevitable alternative to them, good luck!

Thread Information