Thread: Average salary in a non licensed state

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Average salary in a non licensed state

Just curious! What is the average salary for a abo certified optician in a non-licensed state with 5 yrs in the optical field? I recently just passed the abo and the boss is considering giving me a raise. I however don't think it will be much of a raise. I am not sure how my pay is compared to others with similiar experience.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Average Salary

The average in the US is around 38K.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    HI Warren ,
    I started in Ala. and a good optican was making $ 35.00 a day or all the glass they could eat.

I did enjoy you and Ian here in Texas . oh by the way what hockey team won?

Don Price ABO-NCLE
    ROATx

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

How 'bout them "Canes!

My brothers to the north still wonder what happened, when a bunch of good-old-boys from Raleigh won the Cup.

Seriously, we were fortunate to beat a great Oilers team, and proud to have the championship in NC. We enjoyed being with you and look forward to seeing you again soon.

By the way, the salary I quoted comes from two sources; my independent nation-wide study, as well as NAO's salary survey done regularly. In my study, it was interesting to see that licensed state salaries were not statistically higher than in non-licensed states. 38k is not bad for folks with little education and training, and businedd owners do considerably better.

Warren

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm in a non-licensed state (NH) and have been working as an optician for 5 years. I received no formal training, just on the job but was fortunate enough to be taught by someone with 10+ years experience and a good head on their shoulders. I am ABO and NCLC certified and last year I made close to 40K.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Here is a link that may help you.
    http://www.acinet.org/acinet/wages3....fips=36&jobfam=

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I work for a private OD with a dispensary.
    According to last years taxable income, I made 28K.
    This did not include all the promo/comp items (frames, lenses, CL's, family exams, office lunches 1xweek) I can scrounge up, nor the fact that I work about 37 hours per week.
    Sorry, no retirement or benefits.
    I work M-F, no eves, no weekends.
    Flex time, 2 weeks paid vacation, most major holidays off with pay.

WILL SOMEONE TELL MY HUSBAND THAT $$$ ISN'T EVERYTHING!

:cheers:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Nancy
    This did not include all the promo/comp items (frames, lenses, CL's, family exams, office lunches 1xweek) I can scrounge up, nor the fact that I work about 37 hours per week.

Can't hurt to ask for a little more.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Thanks everyone

I was just wandering I work for a private optometrist. This is a fairly new practice. We opened in Sept. I worked with the doctor at a commercial optical place before this. He kinda stole me. I have recently passed my abo and only got a quarter raise. I now make 10.00 and hour no commision and i am the only employee. That means I do everything. But this is ALabama and I probably really couldnt make much more any where else in the city.

salary

I work in downtown L.A., in a 3 ophthalmologist office. My opticians make about 80k per year including commission. They get perks from industry contacts, they also get benefits, retirement, paid seminars, paid trip to Vision West. they get a commission, the more they work the more they make. On holidays, including Mother's day, they fight for the chance to work the extra hours and make more commission. the highest paid optician I ever had made $98k. Lowest paid licensed optician I have makes $12.00 an hour. Top opticians work 12 hour shifts when the sales are good, some work 7 days a week. Everyone works Saturday.

CL Fitter/Optician/Mommy SarahMP584's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by 1414GRAND
    I work in downtown L.A., in a 3 ophthalmologist office. My opticians make about 80k per year including commission. They get perks from industry contacts, they also get benefits, retirement, paid seminars, paid trip to Vision West. they get a commission, the more they work the more they make. On holidays, including Mother's day, they fight for the chance to work the extra hours and make more commission. the highest paid optician I ever had made $98k. Lowest paid licensed optician I have makes $12.00 an hour. Top opticians work 12 hour shifts when the sales are good, some work 7 days a week. Everyone works Saturday.

:drop:OH MY GOODNESS, if the commute from Lancaster wouldnt KILL ME I would LOVE to come work for you. I am dual licensed, with 4 years experience, and I am barely making $12 an hour! I am trying to get them to bump me to at least $15 an hour....we will see what happens. It is good to hear you treat your opticians well. I sure miss working for a doctor and being able to fit contacts on a daily basis. I take as much continuing ed as possible, I dont want to get rusty!!!

Hi Sarah

Nice to hear from you. It's such a small world. I have a house in Quartz Hill. I raised my family up there and moved when my children went to college. Now, I visit my home on the weekends. My CFO lives in Lancaster near A.V. college. I'm considering opening a store in Lancaster in the next 12 months, so I will keep you in mind. thank you. cindy

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Nancy

I totally agree with that statement!!

CL Fitter/Optician/Mommy SarahMP584's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by 1414GRAND
    Nice to hear from you. It's such a small world. I have a house in Quartz Hill. I raised my family up there and moved when my children went to college. Now, I visit my home on the weekends. My CFO lives in Lancaster near A.V. college. I'm considering opening a store in Lancaster in the next 12 months, so I will keep you in mind. thank you. cindy
    Thanks Cindy, We are in the process of buying a house in quartz hill our selves! We could really use a fresh practice up here, I think. Anyway, if you want my resume, let me know. I appreciate it. :cheers:

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Dear 1414grand:

Ever consider Scottsdale, AZ?

I am a licensed optician with tons of management experience. I am a workaholic, I have computerized our dispensary single-handedly and increased sales volume over 50% in under 3 years. We don't take insurance in the optical, my MD is a cataract surgeon and we have another medical MD who comes in for 2 half-days a week (mostly for treatments).

Please consider me if you ever move here! :p

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have worked in Scottsdale, AZ previously before coming to Los Angeles. Currently working in Beverly Hills. Salary is above average for LA aprox. $85k with commission, this also includes holidays, no even. or weekends, ins., and retirement. I have 9 years experience in management. This is my fifth career change.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Do you work for a private Dr?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yes I do, but I am looking into starting my own business with a doctor.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Steph26
    I was just wandering I work for a private optometrist. This is a fairly new practice. We opened in Sept. I worked with the doctor at a commercial optical place before this. He kinda stole me. I have recently passed my abo and only got a quarter raise. I now make 10.00 and hour no commision and i am the only employee. That means I do everything. But this is ALabama and I probably really couldnt make much more any where else in the city.
    Steph, this is ridiculous. I am in the same situation as you but you are getting paid much much less than me and you need to get more. I too worked with the doctor at a retail optical until he bought his own practive. I too am the only employee(except we recently got someone a couple days a week to answer phones). I too do everything and I mean EVERYTHING. From scheduling to glasses, to making the glasses, to cleaning, dispensing, billing, etc. I probably don't get paid as much as I should or of course what I think I deserve for all the work, but the pay you're getting is insulting. Pretty soon, you're going to start resenting the doctor because you're working your butt off for peanuts.I know that money isn't everything and it's not, but come on now-let's get serious here. Your pay is extremley low and insulting to you for the work expected.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Stephanie,

We will be opening a new store (private Pratice) in Birmingham if you're interested.
    Drop me a line at chris7676@hotmail.com for more details.

Thread Information