Thread: Something for professional(airline) pilots

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

Question Something for professional(airline) pilots

My first post-so be gentle!

I recently purchased my first pair of Transitions. They also have AR, and Progressive, a combination I had on previous specs.
    As I've recently retired as an Airline Pilot, I could be "adventurous" & try out the photochromatic style lense. These lenses are not satisfactory(or legal in some instances, in aviation), so I'm very interested in their performance overall. As has been mentioned in some other "posts", Transitions are not the answer in all circumstances, especially where a greater shading is required. I also note that, polarized lenses have been suggested as an alternative. They are a big no, no, in aviation because of their distortion factor, especially where the plexy glass sceens are polarized. It could also be a factor in vehicle driving.
    I previously used G15 clip ons, so as to avoid the necessity to carry prescription sunnies.
    It would be good if the transitions darkened to that level, not something I've yet experienced.
    Indeed, if some optical scientist could come up with a solution to the problems I have had over recent years, there could be an opening/market.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Polarized lenses are great in all environments except the flight deck. Progressives are OK in all environments except the flight deck. Photochromics are great in all environments except the flight deck.

Just ordered a brand spanking new Mooney Acclaim (going nut waiting – 3 more weeks) and there ain’t no way polarized, progressive or photochromics will work. Will wear my great big arsed trifocals with glass G-15 flip ups.

Enjoy the retirement. How sweet it is.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Who's a lucky boy!!! Enjoy, & safe flying.

Progressives work(& are legal) very well on the flight deck. I've used them for the last five years. However, you are right with the other lenses etc. Some day maybe, some genius will come up with a solution.

I might have retired, but I'm now enjoying "real flying", with the warbird & the Tiger Moth.

Cheers

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

G-15

I got a kick out these aviation eyewear/wishes and wants posts because no matter how technology advances, the G-15 is the benchmark.

The absorbance and color spectra done in 1930's for the emerging US Army Air Force pilots glasses/goggles still cant be beat. :)
    Jim
    Jim Schafer
    Retired From PPG Industries/
    Transitions Optical, Inc.

When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say even less.
    Paul Brown

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Progressive lenses with a 3.25 Add, the Garmin G1000 and my neck can not come to grips with one another. I just can’t imagine a single pilot approach to minimums swinging my head up and down 15 degrees and from straight ahead to 30 degrees to the right. My FT-35 trifocal provides complete sharp vision of the ENTIRE panel without any head movement.

I am down to four pairs of uncut B&L G-15 glass planos in my goody grab bag, and, no . . . they are not for sale.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Baker, I shoot approaches to minimums all the time with progressives. I'm in the air ambulance business, I don't get to go when I want. Airspeed, altitude, attitude. Why do you need to look "all around the panel" on final? Give me a break.

Bill Belanger

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Further to my original post.

I've had a pair of G15 clips made for the Mikli(Starck Eyes) frames, which will overcome the problem for driving, and flying, for the time being. Fit as snug as bug in a rug!

Cheers

Thread Information