Thread: Lens recommendations for -19.25

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Lens recommendations for -19.25

Any lens recommendations for a -19.25 sphere OU? It's been a long time since I've fit something that high - they didn't have super high index back then.

Her last lenses were purchased outside of the US and don't appear to be aspheric. Looks like she was wearing .50 BC sperical front cut to a 1.2 CT and 10.8 ET.

I've helped her choose a slightly smaller frame than the Shillouette SPX type that she was wearing but now I have to think lenses.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    If you were to make a myodisc out of a 1.67 index blank with 0.50 base and a 30mm bowl diameter (for lack of better term), and surface to 1mm center thickness. The actual thickness would be about 4 1/2 mm, I would definately recommend an AR coat and if you were to make them in a plastic frame They would look great for that Rx.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Depending on your frame size and decentration, you could consider a 1.70 tokai SV. GREAT ACUITY. also a bi-concave in a 1.67 would be a good option.:p

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Contacts!

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson
    Contacts!
    Definately the first choice, but it would be good to have a pair of glasses as a back up.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by Jo
    Any lens recommendations for a -19.25 sphere OU? It's been a long time since I've fit something that high - they didn't have super high index back then.

Her last lenses were purchased outside of the US and don't appear to be aspheric. Looks like she was wearing .50 BC sperical front cut to a 1.2 CT and 10.8 ET.

I've helped her choose a slightly smaller frame than the Shillouette SPX type that she was wearing but now I have to think lenses.
    Frame as small as possible. Lasik.

Rising Star OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I just don't understand why people feel lasik for high myopes is ever a good idea. Doesn't a -19 myope have enough to worry about??

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by orangezero
    I just don't understand why people feel lasik for high myopes is ever a good idea. Doesn't a -19 myope have enough to worry about??
    Hell, I don't know. I aint no doc. I just know if was a -19, I'd be looking for some type of sergery. Maybe remove the crystaline lens? I'd see an Ophthalmoligist. Maybe two or three.
    You know so much. What'd YOU do?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Bi-concave in 1.66/1.67. AR coating would be a must. I would also suggest breaking out the old Distometer to get a real accurate vertex distance and compare to the phoropter distance.
    Maybe a blended type myodisc which has been mentioned. It would be thinner. I have used them for -20 and up. I belive there was a post not too long ago about a -53.00? I think a lab in England produced them. Do a search.

Fezz
    :cheers:
    Last edited by Fezz; 06-27-2006 at 10:04 PM. Reason: additional thoughts

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz
    I belive there was a post not too long ago about a -53.00? I think a lab in England produced them.
    The diameter of that lens couldn't be more than 26mm or so and even in a myodisc would be thick. Wow

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Harry,

Yeah, I was impressed that they could even do it. They even posted pictures on here. Wish I could find it. I would like to review the specifics again.

Found it. It was a -35.00(my bad) The thread dated 10-14-2005 "Hi-Minus" by a member called Optispares.

Fezz
    Last edited by Fezz; 06-27-2006 at 10:46 PM. Reason: add info

Rising Star OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    sure, have them see an ophthalmologist. Most of them at least had a two week night course on optics and refracting while they were training to become doctors.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    What about the 1.74 high index lens?

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    What works really well is contacts and a pair of eyeglasses to correct the balance. If contacts are not an option, a bi concave lens looks pretty good if you use a 6 base lens with a small bowl, say -15 on the front. I've done quite a few of those. A flat base bi concave is pretty ugly in a frame whereas the 6 base fits nicely.

Bill Belanger

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Stone
    Hell, I don't know. I aint no doc. I just know if was a -19, I'd be looking for some type of sergery. Maybe remove the crystaline lens? I'd see an Ophthalmoligist. Maybe two or three.
    You know so much. What'd YOU do?
    If the patient is desperate you could consider a LASIK procedure to remove some of the minus but I highly doubt anyone has enough corneal thickness to deal with a -19. You'd also have to use intralase to make the flap as putting a suction ring on a -19 in very risky.

I also doubt you'd find too many ophthalmologists who would want to operate on this patient unless there is no other alternative. Any surgical solution increases the risk of retinal damage, and when taking out a clear lens they often need to use a bit more energy. Again, not a good idea.

It really sucks being so far "above average."

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Rodenstock Lentilux.
    Optical technicians in Britain.

http://www.optiglaze.co.uk/forum/

OptiBoard Professional sharon m./ aboc's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Quote Originally Posted by Fezz
    Bi-concave in 1.66/1.67. AR coating would be a must. I would also suggest breaking out the old Distometer to get a real accurate vertex distance and compare to the phoropter distance.
    Maybe a blended type myodisc which has been mentioned. It would be thinner. I have used them for -20 and up. I belive there was a post not too long ago about a -53.00? I think a lab in England produced them. Do a search.

Fezz
    HOW SMALL WOULD AND EYE LOOK BEHIND A -53.00 LENS? PROBABLY THIS SIZE OF A PIN HEAD.
    sharon

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sharron:

How long/large would an eye have to be to need a -53.00? Of course the patient probably had keratoconnus and the practioner was not a master of rigid lenses.
    Chip

OptiBoard Professional sharon m./ aboc's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

High minus

Chip,
    I asked how small it would LOOK, you know minimized to the tune of -53.00 diopters. Even a -10.00 in a high-index makes a persons eye look extra beady.
    sharon

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Update

We went with the 1.67 AR. Hmmm. It was better than what she was wearing and yet was a bit disappointing. Actually, the whole process was a bit disappointing. Our lab couldn't make the job in-house; they had to send it out to another lab. When I first started, high pluses and minuses weren't this big a problem to make. I looked at it and knew that 10 years ago even I could have come up with a thinner product in a lower index.

I suppose part of the problem may have been the 2.2mm CT. I'm not sure if that was the best the lab could do or if that is just a policy to control shrink due to breakage.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What the heck does everyone have against 1.8 or 1.9 index lenses? I have used the Nikon pointal 1.8 in very high minus with good sucess. Why does 1.67 keep coming up even in severe myopic cases? Not the abbe? My suggestion for this rx: 1.8 ground to 1mm, a little "face form" on the frame to put some curve in front of the patients nose, and a heavy feather to buff down the edge.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If you have a hruby attatchment for your slit lamp you can see for yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by sharon m./ aboc View Post
    Chip,
    I asked how small it would LOOK, you know minimized to the tune of -53.00 diopters. Even a -10.00 in a high-index makes a persons eye look extra beady.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Refractive lens exchange?

Thread Information