Thread: High Index or Polycarbonate?

OptiBoard Novice

High Index or Polycarbonate?

Hi all,

I went to my local PearleVison store and ordered a brand new pair of eyeglasses with High Index(1.60) lenses. They sent my order to a lab to have them made and assembled. Is there a way I can check rather than take their word for it to make sure the lenses I bought are really High Index and not Polycarbonates? I paid an extra $100 for the High Index lenses and want to be assured I got what I paid for.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You can take them to your eye doctor's office. They should be able to tell you. Poly makes a very destinctive sound like a poker chip when dropped so it is very easy to identify.

OptiBoard Novice

High Index or Polycarbonate? Reply to Thread

Hi, what destinctive sound does a High Index lense make? Are there any other ways I can distinguish the difference beside sound alone?

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I can often spot poly by just looking at it, but that is not something you can learn over the internet. If I am not sure I remove the lens from the frame (unless it is a drill mount)and drop it on a table from a height of a couple of inches. Poly sounds like a poker chip.

High index sounds different then regular plastic but does not sound like a poker chip.

Why do you not trust the shop?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Pearle Vision would never do that to one of there customers. :D

Fezz
    :cheers:

OptiBoard Novice
    Why do you not trust the shop?[/QUOTE]

I noticed a chip on one of the High Index lense near the mounting drill holes of my rimless frame when I picked them from my PearleVision store. They told me they can send my eyeglasses back to the lab to have them re-done. I called Pearle today and asked if I could change my lenses to polycarbonate so there's less chance of chipping during manufacturing and he told they will be using polycarbonate lenses this time according to their records.

I told him I paid $100 extra for High Index which was not covered by my insurance plan. But the Polycarbonates were covered and required a $35 copayment. I asked him for a price adjustment because the lenses will not be High Index this time and I do not want to pay extra for no reason. He was kind of confused and did not know what to say and asked his manager for assistance. His manager told me his employee was confused and provided me with the wrong information. The manager said the eyeglasses that are being re-done at the lab will be using High Index Lenses and not polycarbonates. So I am now wondering if they are telling me the truth because it seems strange to me why the employee first told me polycarbonates will be used this time and his manager then told me High Index will be used after I asked for a price adjustment.

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Take a Q-tip, dip it in acetone and run it along the edge if the lens. If it starts to crack or split it's Poly and take it back.

Personally, I have had more issues in the past with polycarbonate chipping or cracking in drilled frame than anything else (except cr-39 or glass) so I will only dispense 1.6 from Hoya/Nikon/Essilor (Zeiss 1.6 seems to have a different tensile strength) or Phoenix (trivex) in lower powers.
    "It's not impossible. I used to bull's-eye womp rats in my T-16 back home."

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedi
    Take a Q-tip, dip it in acetone and run it along the edge if the lens. If it starts to crack or split it's Poly and take it back.

Personally, I have had more issues in the past with polycarbonate chipping or cracking in drilled frame than anything else (except cr-39 or glass) so I will only dispense 1.6 from Hoya/Nikon/Essilor (Zeiss 1.6 seems to have a different tensile strength) or Phoenix (trivex) in lower powers.
    OMS Edgit

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You can ask to see the invoice from the lab with the prices covered up.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Happylady
    You can take them to your eye doctor's office. They should be able to tell you.
    I agree with Happylady. Please let us know if you have any further problems. Pearle Vision does have a 60-day complete satisfaction guarantee, and cannot legally charge you for a product you did not receive. ;)

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Happylady
    You can ask to see the invoice from the lab with the prices covered up.
    Does the consumer actually have a right to see the actual lab invoice if asked, Happylady? The Pearle Vision store I recently visited didn't specify on my receipt as to what I'm getting ... only a SKU # for the frames and lenses with a very brief description (inclusive of all features, which were not specified). :(
    Last edited by Malibu Barbie; 06-28-2006 at 04:12 AM.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    There may not be an invoice...

If the store is corporate owned, two different things may be happening. One, the order was sent to a cetral lab. When the order comes back, it will have a "work ticket" with it, listing material, frame, options, etc. Not all stores keep this ticket after confirming that the order is correct. Since the costs, etc are all kept in the same company, many stores simply shred the ticket.

The other situation is that instead of sending them to a central lab, they are actually sent to a store in the local area that has the specialized equipment and ability to do this type of job. The only thing that typically transfers between the stores is the original work ticket and the sku's from the order. It may or may not list the material or specifics on the sku. It could just be the barcode and numbers.

Cassandra
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Thank you, Cassandra! Do you know whether a copy of the actual prescription is given to the lab, or are they merely given info. provided by the retailer? Even if you guess at the answer, it would satisfy me. :)

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Why would anyone pay an extra $100 for hi index in the first place? Poly is 1.59 index and in my opinion, already a hi index material and more shatter resistant. There must be some perceived value here?

Bill Belanger

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Optixbill: Because Poly is opticaly junk!

Purpose of a lens: To focus light uniformly. Poly does not do this.

While a lot of people can "tolerate" the distortions of poly. Should they have to "tolerate?" Or should they have the best focus possible? True, Poly is impact resistant, lightweight and reasonably thin. It does not focus light well and is not scratch resistant. Any plastic lens may start out with good optics but after it has been worn and cleaned for a while millions of microfine scratches (yeah, you can see them while looking at a light in the dark) are there, and they sure don't help with vision.

Chip

Thread Information