Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Designer Glasses Made in China ?

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rep View Post
    On the China manufacturing issue. The article says that many manufacturers are moving their production out of China because of increasing labor prices, long delivery times, and increased back-orders.

I would also bet that the factory workers in Europe are beginning to see the light with their jobs being shipped to China.

I have been told that Luxottica has increased its numbers of manufacturing personnel considerably to accomodate the massive worldwide increase in demand.

This is not only from the increase in the number of company owned retail locations world wide, but a record setting increase in wholesale business this year especially in the designer market segment.

D & G is a great product line and other manufacturers also have their designer products made in China. Safilo makes a number of styles in China including some frames in the Gucci and Dior lines. Marchon has some CK and Calvin that are also made in China. There is absolutely nothing wrong with any of these products.

A very interesting and perceptive point regardiing the labeling of country of origin. If Chris is correct then why wouldn't everyone just put "Made in Italy" on all of their product instead of "Made in China" and risking consumer questioning if the product is authentic? I think there is a lot more tracking than has been indicated on the country of origin.

Another point would be if it were as easy as stated to modify the country of origin then how would the US and others track the trade deficit on imported products?

Rep
    The country in which it is assembled is the 'country of origin'. Parts for frames have been made in China for generations. The Chinese make beautiful products; we just won't PAY them. It is us that did 'walmart' to us. We wan't 'cheap' and we got it...

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    When buying any designer sunglasses on any part of the world, make sure to take not of the following authentic marks:

D&G guarantee booklet
    D&G guarantee card - with pace for details about the retailer and sunglasses.
    Right Temple Arm - Made in Italy and CE representing European Conformity.
    Left Arm - model number, lens & frame measurements
    Dolce&Gabbana sharp finish with no signs of glue or gaps on the temple tip
    Serial Number etched into the right lens (except for old model).

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Almost all the branded companies products manufactured in China including optical industries as well.

buy eyeglasses online

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    holy decade old thread batman!

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper ..............and now in 2016 it was 10 years ago. .............................

Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post

Also, keep in mind that this was 8 years ago!!

..............and now in 2016 it was 10 years ago.

Lenses are made in Thailand.

These days just about all frames with a few exceptions are made in China.

Most of your corporate surfacing Rx labs have been also been moved to China with a speedy return service to this continent for orders, delivered in 3 to 4 days.

OptiBoard has also gained some historic value, as it is really interesting to see posts and opinions from 10 years back.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I thought is was known that ALL parts are made in china......limited(barely legal) assembly in Italy makes it 'ok'
    to stamp made in italy(sliding on temple tips, or screwing on temples)
    nothing to do with quality
    am i incorrect?
    the lux factory footage(60 min) showing detailed production was from long ago...if you took notice of the styles they were producing
    perhaps cartier is made in france100%?

Occupation

Blue Jumper perhaps cartier is made in france100%? ...............

Quote Originally Posted by COMEINPEACE View Post

perhaps cartier is made in france100%?

Here is a link to some interesting history of spectacle making in France. Interesting to how things have changed from a big boom to hope that it ever will come back.

see all of it in English: ==========>
    http://www.gifo.org/eng/optique_oculaire/historique.php

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Pull all the Chinese frames off your display and you will not have bat a few left.

Occupation

Blue Jumper

Quote Originally Posted by Mikef View Post

But in the US a product must go through a major transformation in the contry that it is stamped. You can't simply just assemble it there!

P.S. General statements like this, that are not true only hurt the industy as a whole.

Having lived as exclusive distributor of a major French and German brand name frame factories for close to 25 years, I believe that I am qualified enough to make valid statements.

It is easy to get unassembled frames into European countries declared as parts without any markings.

Parts of a frame = 1 Front - plus 1 right temple - plus 1 left temple.

Assemble them and stamp them "Made in Italy" for export to Canada and "Frame Italy" for the USA.
    Last edited by Chris Ryser; 06-26-2016 at 11:44 PM.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Let this thread die...

Isn't it obvious what post #28 is doing?

Hope it doesn't start a trend...

Occupation

Redhot Jumper We have to face the facts which will not go away soon anymore........................

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post

It is not starting a trend, it is just an actual fact and already very common on the internet.

We have to face the facts which will not go away soon anymore.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post

Yep, complete w/link.

Chris, you're missing the point. He's not talking about an industry trend, he's talking about an Optiboard trend of spamming....
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation

Redhot Jumper Chris, you're missing the point.........................

Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    Yep, complete w/link.

Chris, you're missing the point. He's not talking about an industry trend, he's talking about an Optiboard trend of spamming....

Johns I don't think to have missed the point. To close a thread when a problem like this occurs is sticking the head in the sand................then it might go away.

You can stop it on Optiboard, but you can not stop it from reaching the consumer.
    If the consumer could not find that type websites it would be fine.
    But on a forum you can discuss it, for and or against.

If you can not do that, is ignoring the facts. That's what has been the problem, it is ignoring them instead of dealing with it.

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Personally, I am very proud of our multiple European lines (mostly German.) We see a huge difference in those lines compared to our Lux Italy/China lines. Between the paint jobs, accent fixtures, hinge strength, and frame finish, I can tell what frames are made in quick mass production and which have real quality control. If a patient is deciding between two frames of vastly different quality, I will be the first to inform them of this.

We have the Lux brands because people ask for them. If I can get them in the store because I carry a name they know and then show them something worth their money, I feel better taking it. I know I appreciate the same service when I'm shopping.
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    Johns I don't think to have missed the point. To close a thread when a problem like this occurs is sticking the head in the sand................then it might go away.

You can stop it on Optiboard, but you can not stop it from reaching the consumer.
    If the consumer could not find that type websites it would be fine.
    But on a forum you can discuss it, for and or against.

If you can not do that, is ignoring the facts. That's what has been the problem, it is ignoring them instead of dealing with it.
    Ok Chris...whatever. Our point is that this particular guy is a one-time, drive by poster, promoting his site. Only you suggested closing the thread, not us. Nobody is denying the onliners; again, whatever. Your knee jerk "deal with it" attitude is not even addressing what we are talking about, but I guess this wouldn't be the first time. Party On!
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation

Blue Jumper

Originally Posted by rep
    On the China manufacturing issue. The article says that many manufacturers are moving their production out of China because of increasing labor prices, long delivery times, and increased back-orders.

I would also bet that the factory workers in Europe are beginning to see the light with their jobs being shipped to China.

I have been told that Luxottica has increased its numbers of manufacturing personnel considerably to accomodate the massive worldwide increase in demand.

........actually if you have not learned it yet, the latest trend is to move corporations to a new developing country, as China is getting to modern in lifestyle and technology. They are moving to India which is the latest fashion.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    ........actually if you have not learned it yet, the latest trend is to move corporations to a new developing country, as China is getting to modern in lifestyle and technology. They are moving to India which is the latest fashion.
    The world is globalizing at breakneck speed though Chris, eventually it will even out.

Occupation

Blue Jumper You are totally correct about the breakneck speed ...........................

Quote Originally Posted by Tallboy View Post

The world is globalizing at breakneck speed though Chris, eventually it will even out.

You are totally correct about the breakneck speed, but I doubt it will even out soon.

The personalized retail optical business will become a thing of the past, due to heavy competition from un-personal online opticals that are visibly flourishing, due to a low, non-personalized pricing system.

It can be easily seen on the internet which websites are successful and visited heavily, compared to others that are mediocre and or show a low traffic pattern, by installing the Alexa button on your browser for free.

While some of the largest manufacturers are inventing new features in a new packaging, that were around for a long time, so that they can not be done any more in the in store lab, and have to be sold a high prices, while they advertise to the masses on the web, their own on-line opticals which sell for a lot less.

Thread Information