Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Designer Glasses Made in China ?

OptiBoard Novice

Designer Glasses Made in China ?

Recently I went to Robson Optical and purchased a pair of D&G Sunglasses. Later at home I realized that the case and frames were both Made In China.

I am aware that D&G is the lower end of Dolce and Gabbana, but does that mean that D&G glasses get manufactured in China while Dolce and Gabbana in Italy?
    To get really into it, does Dolce and Gabbana really oversee the product at all, or did I just get ripped off?

Total cost was $160 including taxes, which leaves about $140 in Robson Opticals pocket, if these glasses are fake.

The sales associate at the store assured me that these glasses were real, and went on to talk about Luxottica ( frame makers ), but I didnt receive any Certificate of Authenticity with this product, and I am still skeptical. :|

Can anybody please shine some light on this subject for me?
    :)

Thx

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    There is a great deal of counterfeiting and rippoffs in the optical industry. You may very well have the correct merchandise, however, since many manufacturers "farm out" much of their work. Just because it says made in china does'nt mean they aren't the real mcoy. As you know, Robson street is the most exclusive shopping in Vancouver, and merchants that would sell fakes would be unlikely to last long. In closing, I have served for years on the inquiry committee for the regulatory board for optical stores in B.C, and do not recall a single complaint against Robson Optical. If you still have any doubts, return to the store and have them clarify the origins of the merchandise. If you still feel you have been treated dishonestly, contact the College of Opticians of B.C.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper They have the brands put on there or get the frames un-assembled,

Quote Originally Posted by sh4k3
    ....................................and went on to talk about Luxottica ( frame makers ), but I didnt receive any Certificate of Authenticity with this product, and I am still skeptical. :|

Can anybody please shine some light on this subject for me?
    Most of the optical frames, name brands or others are made in the far east. This also applies for lenses.

Frame and lens manufacturers have either their own factories there or order frame models from independent manufacturers. They have the brands put on there or get the frames un-assembled, assemble them in their home factory and then its made in Italy, Germany and France.

Any certificate of authenticity could only state that it is the brand you wanted supplied or made by a certain manufacturer and means nothing these days.

:D

Bad address email on file Mikef's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Not your fathers China anymore!

D&G is made in both Italy and China. Your product is most likley real. D&G is involed with all aspects.

Luxottica owns 100% of its factory in China (Which is rare). 10 Years ago most of the product coming out of China was not great. Today it has changed. They now produce great quality product as well as junk. MOST dealers can tell the difference.

Bad address email on file Mikef's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser
    . They have the brands put on there or get the frames un-assembled, assemble them in their home factory and then its made in Italy, Germany and France.

:D
    Maybe in Canada!

But in the US a product must go through a major transformation in the contry that it is stamped. You can't simply just assemble it there!

P.S. General statements like this, that are not true only hurt the industy as a whole.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Hi All

If the product is a fake wouldnt they more likely put made in Italy on it?

;)
    Alan

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Most frames are made in China right now, and when you think about it, it really makes sense.

Frames are made with technology nowadays, and not by the worker. Why go to Italy and spend so much more for a job when you can get it in China for cheaper. Also, consider this, products are not made in Canada or the US anymore (very very very few are), and were mostly made in Japan, Italy, and France, so the money never really stayed in our economies anyways.

As for certificate of authenticity, very few frames come with those. I am almost completely certain that you received the right product.

OptiBoard Novice
    thank you all for your replies

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Nelson
    I have served for years on the inquiry committee for the regulatory board for optical stores in B.C, and do not recall a single complaint against Robson Optical.

they're "the new guys on the block", maybe Im the first complaint.

I will contact the College of Opticians of BC tomorrow, but Id rather contact Luxottica. Ive tried them by e-mail, but so far no response. It just strikes me that I would not receive a Certificate of Authenticity with this product, like I have before on other occasions ( at different stores of course ). Judging by Luxottica's website, they seem like they're quite proud of their product, and would be eager to show their name with any frames they make.

Tomorrow Im going to visit a few other stores that sell similar products, and see what they have to say. My only fear is that they be bias.

Quote Originally Posted by apaul
    If the product is a fake wouldnt they more likely put made in Italy on it?

I also thought about this and am curious to know why that didnt happen. Im guessing because if Robson Optical were caught with fake sunglasses they would be at serious risk for several lawsuits.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Blue Jumper Judging by Luxottica's website,.....................

Judging by Luxottica's website, they seem like they're quite proud of their product, and would be eager to show their name with any frames they make.
    Luxottica has always made some first class products in the way of style and quality.

However their [plicy of taking over the retail market by buyong up retail chains and stores they are no too much liked by the independent retailers anymore.

Occupation

Interesting article in Vision Monday

On the China manufacturing issue. The article says that many manufacturers are moving their production out of China because of increasing labor prices, long delivery times, and increased back-orders.

I would also bet that the factory workers in Europe are beginning to see the light with their jobs being shipped to China.

I have been told that Luxottica has increased its numbers of manufacturing personnel considerably to accomodate the massive worldwide increase in demand.

This is not only from the increase in the number of company owned retail locations world wide, but a record setting increase in wholesale business this year especially in the designer market segment.

D & G is a great product line and other manufacturers also have their designer products made in China. Safilo makes a number of styles in China including some frames in the Gucci and Dior lines. Marchon has some CK and Calvin that are also made in China. There is absolutely nothing wrong with any of these products.

A very interesting and perceptive point regardiing the labeling of country of origin. If Chris is correct then why wouldn't everyone just put "Made in Italy" on all of their product instead of "Made in China" and risking consumer questioning if the product is authentic? I think there is a lot more tracking than has been indicated on the country of origin.

Another point would be if it were as easy as stated to modify the country of origin then how would the US and others track the trade deficit on imported products?

Rep

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    thank you all for your replies

they're "the new guys on the block", maybe Im the first complaint.

I will contact the College of Opticians of BC tomorrow, but Id rather contact Luxottica. Ive tried them by e-mail, but so far no response. It just strikes me that I would not receive a Certificate of Authenticity with this product, like I have before on other occasions ( at different stores of course ). Judging by Luxottica's website, they seem like they're quite proud of their product, and would be eager to show their name with any frames they make.

Tomorrow Im going to visit a few other stores that sell similar products, and see what they have to say. My only fear is that they be bias.

[/font]

I also thought about this and am curious to know why that didnt happen. Im guessing because if Robson Optical were caught with fake sunglasses they would be at serious risk for several lawsuits.
    MOST designer frames do not come with certificates of authenticity!

Also, make sure you know before calling the College of Opticians. That is the equivalent of calling the police or the better business bureau on them.

Not exactly fair, based on a hunch.

OptiBoard Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life
    MOST designer frames do not come with certificates of authenticity!

Also, make sure you know before calling the College of Opticians. That is the equivalent of calling the police or the better business bureau on them.

Not exactly fair, based on a hunch.

i've decided not to bother with it. i did look up the frames, D&G 3001,on several websites, and they do list for roughly around the same price.

i just didnt want to get ripped off. i did plenty of research, including signing up on this board and asking questions.

ive got a lot more knowledge on the issue than previously, and am actually quite happy with the glasses themselves. It was just my curiousity that made me go full force, seeking all the knowledge that I could, because I was really under the impression that these were fake, when I saw that Made in China label, but not so much anymore.

Occupation
    D&G is manufactured in China, along with Miu Miu - Prada's lower end line among Luxottica's stuff. Dolce and Prada are made in Italy.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Just for the record, I asked the consumer to return to the optical store and give them the opportunity to insure the merchandise is what it should be, and only to call the college if there was still no resolution. Filing a complain is a serious matter, and any eyecare professional should be given the opportunity to explain or rectify a problem BEFORE a complaint is filed. Many complaints recieved are often simple misunderstandings, that could easily be avoided. I post this simply because I do not want to be mistakenly seen to be encouraging or soliciting complaints on this site.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by optigrrl
    D&G is manufactured in China, along with Miu Miu - Prada's lower end line among Luxottica's stuff. Dolce and Prada are made in Italy.
    No offense to the customers, but it really amazed me that they still go nuts when they find things that is made in China... I mean come on! Are you guys came from a timewarp or something? Is Globalization!! Almost everything that you can afford is made in China (or places that can cut their cost). My Intel CPU is made in some place that I can't even pronounce, my $200 Nike runner is made in Vietnam, just to name a few. To me, is not where it's made that counts, is the QC that matters. If any consumer that is reading this post, a fake sunglasses does look really FAKE! A guys came in yesterday and show me a pair of Oakley knock offs and ask me are they real? I can tell them they are fake from miles away! I just can't understand what people are thinking... :hammer:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by xoptec
    To me, is not where it's made that counts, is the QC that matters.
    Thats why I drive a KIA
    Paul:cheers:

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by xoptec
    I can tell them they are fake from miles away! I just can't understand what people are thinking... :hammer:

Not all of them...

I was a millitary customs inspector in Korea, and even back then, it was very difficult to tell them apart. The Cabbage Patch dools knock-offs couldn't be detected unless we looked at where the seams were placed. The POLO shirts had 3 legs on (horse) logo instead of 4, but you needed a magnifier to tell. There are high end knock-offs, and the ones we see in our store. The high-end cost more, and the cheap folks usually stay down with the bottom feeder prices. Many, many, knock-offs find there way into retailers shelves, and are not detected unless they have to be sent to the manufacturer for service.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rachelkim View Post
    Anyone know do i get a good cheap copy? I found a pair of ray ban aviator sunglasses at www.**********************.com and someone could tell me that could be trust-able? how to spot the logo
    Optometrist? Really? I don't think so...
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    ...It just strikes me that I would not receive a Certificate of Authenticity with this product, like I have before on other occasions...

[/QUOTE]

If I could counterfeit the glasses, I could certainly counterfeit the little "Authenticity Card".

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rachelkim View Post
    Anyone know do i get a good cheap copy? I found a pair of ray ban aviator sunglasses at www.**********************.com and someone could tell me that could be trust-able? how to spot the logo
    Consumers are not allowed to post here....they are only allowed to post in Just conversation.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    china does not have counterfeit laws and does not agree with international patents. Most cases that go to Chinese court system pertaining Chinese manufactures making counterfeit products usually rules with the manufacturer. http://www.cnbc.com/id/38125681#. talks about New Balance Footwear but tells a story that will transfer across multiple products.

Here is a link of what they do with the auto industry
    http://jalopnik.com/5943850/the-ten-...-car-knockoffs
    ITs a monster that is out of control.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I used to carry both D&G and Dolce and Gabanna. The D&G didn't come with authenticity cards. Quality still seemed good in the D&G line.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Bronze Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have a D&G in my office, that the client bought in Europe. No desigination as to made in Chine or made anywhere for that matter. Do frame manufacturers have to mark the country of origin on their frames.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would hate for this customer to hurt the reputation of this optical on a hunch. This customer was happy with the product, still was willing to move mountains just to see if maybe the optical store might have done something wrong. Most things are made in China. That is how the world works now days. Customers like this is what keeps me up at night. A so called happy customer that is willing to burn me to the ground on a hunch. Nice. Hope you found your answer.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Also, keep in mind that this was 8 years ago!!
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Thread Information