Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: wide reading area progressives?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by joshy
    How about the Essilor Continuum? Its a lens that gives you intermediate on the top and reading on the bottom, great for computer use, and the reading area at the bottom is good if you need to look at small print on a paper that you are typing from. hope this helps,sheryl.
    I don't want to get occupational lenses because I can only afford one pair. But thanks for the suggestion.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper why don't you try progressive lenses for computer/ office work

Quote Originally Posted by dary
    I have just had a look on this thread- but why don't you try progressive lenses for computer/ office work? They are for middle and near distance? And they have wide near area.
    There is NO progressive that has a wide near area. You will see the computer screen clearly , but looking down, going through the progressive channel onto the reading field you have a very restricted visual field.

Who would not want a clear reading area on a desk that is 2 feet wide ??? No progressive lens can provide that. :finger:

Banned
    Chris, I know this.

Banned
    To expand... Even in the few days I've had the progressive lenses, I've started to adapt. The brain is an amazing thing. I was even able to wear the glasses working at the computer yesterday. I intuitively move my head to look through the right part of the lenses. I know that progressives will never give the viewing area of exective bifocals, but your brain does adapt to minimize the limitations.

The main problem I have with these lenses is the large amount of distortion and blur on the periphery, which apparently I'm very sensitive to. In the 2006 comparative study, the Varilux Comfort (what I'm wearing) has close to the highest distortion of any lens. The first two days I wore these, I literally felt motion sickness. I don't feel the motion sickness anymore, but I'm continuing to get daily migraines from it - not a good thing.

The lens I want to change to (SOLA One) has a wider near area and a wider intermediate area than the lens I'm currently wearing, and much less distortion on the periphery. I think I'm capable of adapting to a progressive lens, and that this lens will be among the easiest for me to adapt to since it minimizes the problems that I have with progressives. If I'm wrong and I can't adapt, then I'll go back to bifocals (or maybe trifocals).

Occupation

Blue Jumper

Quote Originally Posted by Sheryl

The first two days I wore these, I literally felt motion sickness. I don't feel the motion sickness anymore, but I'm continuing to get daily migraines from it - not a good thing.

..........................If I'm wrong and I can't adapt, then I'll go back to bifocals (or maybe trifocals).
    Going from bifocals to progressives was never recommended, as these people expirience exactly what you been describing. Most probably it will not be any better with a different brand. The lateral distortion is there with all of them.

Banned
    Chris,

Many people who have progressives used to wear bifocals. In fact, probably a good 50%, I'd wager.

I've seen your other posts. You're Mr. Negative. I think the progressives can work for me because of how quickly I'm adapting to the lenses I already have. Either way, I'll report back. :)

- Sheryl

Occupation

Big Smile You're Mr. Negative.................................

I've seen your other posts. You're Mr. Negative.
    I got myself a new qualification or tiltle.....................see above. :D

But you are dead wrong. There are 47% of multifocal wearers that use progressive lenses in the USA. There is still a majority, 53%, NOT wearing progressives.

Progressive lenses are ideal solutions for the right people and can be a disaster for the wrong people.

It takes the know how, the expirience and a NO greed attitude as a professional, learned, expirienced and qualified optician to judge who is and who is not a good candidate for this type of lenses.

In the earlier days of progressive lense the original manufacturer gave courses to opticians to teach them which patients were good candidates for these lenses and which ones were not. These days its just sell sell sell.

Bad address email on file
    Quote Originally Posted by Happylady
    I also have a pair of the Varilux Physio lenses. They have an excellent distance and a very good intermediate area. The near is good but I think the Sola One is a little wider. Mine are set at 17 and while that is the minimum I would like a little more at the bottom.
    My Rx is R-2.50 and L -0.75 Add +2.00
    I got my Vx physio last monday,and i felt when i was focus on the distance that is no proble quite perfect once i try to walk around and move my eyeball to intermediate portion i felt thatmy left eye blur than my right eye.Did the Vx.physio suit for both different power patient just like Rodenstock in Multigressive 2?Before Vx.Physio i was Used SOLA One It such a good lens,but physio i was dissapointed.Can you give some comment ?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser
    It takes the know how, the expirience and a NO greed attitude as a professional, learned, expirienced and qualified optician to judge who is and who is not a good candidate for this type of lenses.

In the earlier days of progressive lense the original manufacturer gave courses to opticians to teach them which patients were good candidates for these lenses and which ones were not. These days its just sell sell sell.
    Greetings, Chris. I know that your viewpoint is that most people (basically anyone with any adaptation problems at first - which is virtually everyone) should not be given progressive lenses, and apparently you put me in that group.

I've already adapted to a great extent to the lenses I currently have - I forget I even have them on. I'm still getting daily migraines, but that's not necessarily the lenses. I tend to get migraines in batches. If it is the distortion in the lens periphery causing the migraines, then the SOLA One should help. As I said, I will report back on how I do with the new lenses when I get them.

And in case I wasn't clear... I'm not an optician. I'm just an informed layperson with bad eyesight. :)

Banned
    And to clarify one other point... My optician didn't give me progressive lenses because she's greedy. I asked for them. If she'd said no, she'll only give me bifocals because that's what I had previously, I'd have found another optician.

Banned
    One other example that goes against the Rule of Chris... My mother, who wore bifocals for years and years and has an add of +3.00, now wears progressives and loves them. She adapted quickly and with no problems. Could it be that you're not always right??

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Wave labbrat

Hi...read through your concerns/problems.
    We operate an independent wholesale optical lab in New England. The Varilux Comfort is a popular lens in the market, but it did debut in 1994....and there are many new advanced options out there to pick from.
    Adapting from bifocals is indeed difficult for some..they are clearly linear in design. There obviously isn't anything to adapt to
    Contour plots are somewhat helpful but are generally depicted as a Plano (no rx) with a +2.00 add. Manufacturers will show their product in the one power that will make the lens plot look best. That's just business.
    Astigmatism radically degrades any lens design's countour plot. The ONLY way to truly compensate for this is "free form" technology. Examples include the Physio 360, Sola One HD (note bold type...not all sola one's and physios are free form ), Seiko Super Proceed Internal, Zeiss Gradal Individual, Rodenstock Multigressiv 2 to name a few.

By the way, we have been selling the Seiko Super Proceed Internal since 1999! We have yet to see a non-adapt.

The Hoya lenses mentioned are indeed excellent. As an independent Hoya distributor, we have a great deal of experience with their designs, and we believe that the ECP is perhaps the best conventionally surfaced design on the market. FYI...Hoya has just released a free form design called the HoyaLux ID which could make their other designs obsolete if price was no object!! lol

Banned
    Hi labbrat,

Thanks very much for the information - in particular that the Seiko lens is available in the US. I thought it wasn't! I'll look into that again, plus your other suggestions.

- Sheryl

Occupation

Big Smile Could it be that you're not always right??....................

Could it be that you're not always right??
    Of course I am not always right.........the rule of thum sometimes gets a twist.

Here are some quotes

The main problem I have with these lenses is the large amount of distortion and blur on the periphery, which apparently I'm very sensitive to. In the 2006 comparative study, the Varilux Comfort (what I'm wearing) has close to the highest distortion of any lens. The first two days I wore these, I literally felt motion sickness. I don't feel the motion sickness anymore, but I'm continuing to get daily migraines from it - not a good thing.

i felt when i was focus on the distance that is no proble quite perfect once i try to walk around and move my eyeball to intermediate portion i felt thatmy left eye blur than my right eye.
    The main problem I have with these lenses is the large amount of distortion and blur on the periphery, which apparently I'm very sensitive to. In the 2006 comparative study, the Varilux Comfort (what I'm wearing) has close to the highest distortion of any lens.
    I'm more-or-less okay with them as long as I don't look down and don't go near a computer. When I try to use a computer with them, I get dizzy, nauseous, and headachy - feels almost like I'm carsick.
    Well, to be honest... They give me a migraine when I'm working at the computer, plus they slow me down significantly because I can't see what I need to see half the time. I had too much work to do today to have a migraine and not be able to see,
    I like the C type (wide near area) with a short corridor (10mm, probably - I'm used to a very high bifocal). I called my optician, who is researching how to order them.

After all this suffering you still have a lot of guts to spend another $ 1000.00 for some more migraine and car dizziness. :D

Banned
    Of course I am not always right.........the rule of thum sometimes gets a twist.
    "thumb" ;)

After all this suffering you still have a lot of guts to spend another $ 1000.00 for some more migraine and car dizziness. :D
    I didn't spend "another" thousand dollars. My optician stands behind her work. I asked her before I ordered the glasses if she'd make me another pair if these didn't work for me, and she said absolutely - that is the store policy (which she then turned around and gave me in writing - it's in their brochure). She is making the new pair at no charge.

You're very argumentative.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Thumbs up

Good luck, SherylNeedless to say, I have access to many lens designs and like some more than others...for my taste. I must say, however, that my very favorite for computer use is a pair of task specific lenses. I use mine for the computer, of course, but they are also my favorite for reading, painting, sewing...anytime when my reading and intermediate ranges are most required. You may wish to reconsider a second pair after all. Speak with your optician...she/he will be the best informational resource based on your ongoing relationship

Banned
    To Chris again, re the messages of mine you quoted... You left out the ones from a few days later saying that I was already adapting to the lenses - was able to wear them while working at the computer, and often forgot I was wearing them. I still think I'd prefer a pair with a wider near area and less distortion (lenses do differ on these dimensions), but I have every reason to think I can adapt to progressives based on my experience of the past week.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper think I can adapt to progressives ................

..........but I have every reason to think I can adapt to progressives based on my experience of the past week.
    I hope you will and good luck.

Bad address email on file
    From what i have read here im sure that you will adapt quite well.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by labbrat
    Astigmatism radically degrades any lens design's countour plot. The ONLY way to truly compensate for this is "free form" technology. Examples include the Physio 360, Sola One HD (note bold type...not all sola one's and physios are free form ), Seiko Super Proceed Internal, Zeiss Gradal Individual, Rodenstock Multigressiv 2 to name a few.
    How does free form technology compensate for the astigmatism on the periphery?

By the way, we have been selling the Seiko Super Proceed Internal since 1999! We have yet to see a non-adapt.
    The lab my optician uses has never heard of the Seiko Super Proceed Internal, and when she called Seiko, they said they'd never heard of it either and thought it probably wasn't sold in the US. I don't understand what's going on. This lens is clearly advertised on their Web site, and you (a lab in New England - USA) say you've been selling it since 1999. I can understand a specific lab not knowing about the lens, but how can the US division of Seiko not know about it if it's sold in this country? Seiko faxed their product list to the optician, and this lens was not on there.

Where do you get the Seiko Super Proceed Internal in the US? Where can I direct my optician for information?

The Hoya lenses mentioned are indeed excellent. As an independent Hoya distributor, we have a great deal of experience with their designs, and we believe that the ECP is perhaps the best conventionally surfaced design on the market. FYI...Hoya has just released a free form design called the HoyaLux ID which could make their other designs obsolete if price was no object!! lol
    Based on what I've read, the Hoya ECP has a large intermediate area and a smaller near area, while the Hoya GP Wide has the reverse - smaller intermediate area and larger near area. I'm not familiar with the HoyaLux ID so I don't know what the near area is like. This is a very important consideration for me, so I wouldn't buy it without knowing this. I think the SOLA lens has lower astigmatism than the Hoya and this is important for me, so on this basis alone I prefer the SOLA One.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Seiko not knowing is a little like when I called the Harley Davison frame line and asked: " How many of these do I have to buy to get a hogg?" Reply: "What's a hogg sir?"

And from the wimpy preppy styles they have produced, they obviously still don't know. Designer has never heard of Sturgis, or Daytona.

Line could have been saved and possibly become premier if they had sent one designer to either Sturgis or Daytona only once.

Chip

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson
    Seiko not knowing is a little like when I called the Harley Davison frame line and asked: " How many of these do I have to buy to get a hogg?" Reply: "What's a hogg sir?"

And from the wimpy preppy styles they have produced, they obviously still don't know. Designer has never heard of Sturgis, or Daytona.

Line could have been saved and possibly become premier if they had sent one designer to either Sturgis or Daytona only once.

Chip
    HD has smarten up. But to be fair, most optical frame designers have no clue what their market is

Occupation

Big Smile Have ever seen any designer name toilette paper ...............

Quote Originally Posted by For-Life
    ................................., most optical frame designers have no clue what their market is
    as a matter of fact...............those frame designers which name is given to a line of frames..............have never designed a frame, have no idea of what it is all about and are also not interested at all and have never apporved a design itself.

They are corporations that sell the right to the use of their name for a license fee.

Have ever seen any designer name toilette paper yet ?????????????????????? could be also a successfull venture. :hammer:

Banned
    I ordered new lenses today. The Seiko Super Proceed Internal is not available with Transitions (which I wanted), so I got Sola One HD (free form technology). These would have been about $200 more than the Varilux Comfort lenses I had, but I also got different frames that I liked better and - as luck would have it - were on sale, so there was almost no difference in price.

It will be a two-week wait for the lenses - their lab sends to another lab or something like that. I asked my optician to use labbrat's lab, but they would not because they have an agreement with another lab that supplies the type of lens I wanted. Oh well. This optician is pretty good and they stand behind their work (which is very good), but I wish they were more flexible about labs, and that they didn't dispense Varilux Comfort lenses to all customers asking for progressives without asking any questions about how they use their eyes.

Banned

got my new lenses today, and they are great!

I've been wearing my new Solo One HD lenses for about 4 hours. These progressive lenses are so much better than the Varilux Comfort there is no comparison. I don't get motion sickness when I move my head, I can work easily at the computer, and I've already adapted - don't even know I have them on. I said I'd come back and report, so here I am. I'm a happy camper! :)

Thread Information