Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: wide reading area progressives?

Banned
    I realize the progressive will take some adjustment - more than I realized. No one told me before I bought the glasses that there was blurriness on the intermediate and near periphery. The only complaint I'd heard was difficulty in figuring out what part of the lens to look through, and I thought I could get used to that.

Still, I think that different lens designs are better for different needs, so I'd like the one that suits me best.

My mother loves her progressives. But of course, she's very myopic and usually doesn't wear any glasses (vanity), so she's used to blurriness. :)

Banned
    My mother insists she sees no blurriness or narrowness of focal area, and her near focus add is +3.00. Go figure.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheryl
    My mother insists she sees no blurriness or narrowness of focal area, and her near focus add is +3.00. Go figure.
    She has gotten used to them. Please, give it some time. I don't see the blurriness unless I think about it. My add is a +2.00.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Happylady
    Hey, I found the link to the newer study! Go to the link and at the top of the page is the word publications. Go there and then go to the progressive addition measurement and rating study dated 2006.
    Got it! THANKS!! :)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Your best bet may be a Trifocal!!!!
    A E/D trifocal from Sola would be a great start. Great distance, very wide intermediate, and plenty of reading! Or, how about an executive trifocal...plenty of reading there. I believe that you could still get an Ultex A, or round type trifocal.. less of a flat line. More curved, rounded,less visible. I believe the original "invisible" bifocal was a Kryptok, or round seg bifocal. Good luck

Fezz
    :cheers:
    Last edited by Fezz; 06-22-2006 at 07:52 AM. Reason: spelling, additional info

Banned
    When I see people with trifocals, I think "Geesh - s/he must be in bad shape." It's the ultimate symbol of age to me. I'm not that vain in general, but I have very bad associations with trifocals. I'd rather find the best progressive for me, and then take time to adapt to it.

I've been reading the studies that Happy Lady pointed me to. Unfortunately, Hoya lenses aren't included in the more recent study because they didn't send enough samples.

I'll keep looking into various lenses, reading info on this forum and other sites. I'm going back to the optician when my tablet PC is ready (the two stores are very close). That will be in a day or two.

Thanks again for all the input.

Banned
    By the way, I've been trying to figure out which part of my lens I'm looking through to see the computer - intermediate or near - by slowing moving my head up and down. I seem to be using my near vision rather than intermediate - probably because it's a notebook. I think that when I had a desktop I looked at the screen from farther away, but now both my computers are notebooks, and the text is about the same size as that in a book. So I guess I need a progressive with a large near area versus intermediate, though usually a large intermediate area is recommended for computer use.

I had another question... How bad is the distance area for a lens like the SOLO One? It's at the low end of the distance rating, but it's not an occupational lens so how bad could the distance area be? Could I still drive safely with this lens?

Banned

usual distances for intermediate and near?

I measured the distance from my lens to the monitor when I can see clearly through the intermediate area, and it's about 27 inches. Ordinarily my eyeglasses are about 17 inches from the monitor when I'm working. This is the same distance at which I tend to hold printed reading matter.

Are these distances usual for intermediate and near?

Banned
    Here's a really good link on optimal viewing distances for different size monitors at different resolutions:

http://personalcomputing.portrait.co...whitepaper.pdf

The maximum viewing distance for a 15" monitor with 1024x768 resolution and small fonts is about 49cm or 19 inches. The notebook I'm using now has a 14" screen and a resolution of 1400x1050 with small fonts, so my preferred viewing distance of 17" is about right. My other notebook is 1024x768 with a 12" screen.

So the area I need to maximize for computer use (given the types of computers I use) is near, not intermediate.

I mention this in case you have any notebook using customers. Computer use doesn't always mean "intermediate".

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    what about where your computer is sitting? Is it at eye level or higher? Then you will have to raise your chin. See if you can lower the screen. You can also look into computer glasses.

P.s. I am myopic. I wear a small frame with my distance rx, to watch tv, I wear them like half eyes. I look at my screen with my naked eye...look up through my glasses to see tv

Banned
    My notebook is below eye level.

I can see clearly near with no glasses, but it strains my eyes - has since I was 20, when I first got bifocals to reduce eye strain. (I'm now 49 - on the eve of my 50th birthday.) I read too much without looking up - can't remember to do it - and my eyes tend to "lock" near, giving me a headache. I'm very migraine-prone - any eye strain gives me a headache. I was given vision training for a while when I was much younger, but it made me nauseous and I didn't do the exercises consistently. In the end they gave me bifocals and that fixed the headache problem.

So half-glasses won't work for me.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Here's a little bit of advice.... First, make sure your computer is the right height (I know it's been mentioned already, but very important) it is ergonomically correct when you are eye level with the top of the monitor, your head is VERY slightly tilted up to hit the intermediate zone. Also, if after a reasonable adjustment period you are still having problems, go in for a frame alignment, sometimes adding a little bit of face form and pantoscopic tilt makes a huge differance...as far as the hoya lenses, I have had wonderful results with the hoya gp wide, the distance is huge, so it's good for driving, but my patients love it for all-the-time, even the ones with high adds.

Banned
    Hi Bobbi,

As I mentioned, my computer is a NOTEBOOK, not a desktop with a separate monitor, so your advice on ergonomic adjustment doesn't apply. The top of my notebook is well below eye level, and I look at my notebook screen through my near vision zone, not intermediate zone (for the reasons described in earlier posts).

Hoya Wide looks pretty good - so does SOLO One. But I just read about Varilux Physio and WAVE technology (too new to be in either of the studies). Is this as good as the Essilor Web site says it is? Does anyone have experience with this lens?

Banned
    Having spent all day reading about progressive lenses, I'm now enchanted with the Seiko Succeed Internal, which I believe is what I will go with. I like the C type (wide near area) with a short corridor (10mm, probably - I'm used to a very high bifocal). I called my optician, who is researching how to order them.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think I saw several Hoya lenses in the older study.

I really like the Sola One and use it often. My prescription is about a -2.50 in both eyes and I have a pair and see very well with them. There is some blur in the peripheral of the lens in the top when I look well to the side but it is much less then several other lenses I have tried. I really don't notice it.

It has a decent near and intermediate area but I think that there will be an adjustment with any progressive you try. Are you wearing your new glasses and trying to adjust to them?

I also have a pair of the Varilux Physio lenses. They have an excellent distance and a very good intermediate area. The near is good but I think the Sola One is a little wider. Mine are set at 17 and while that is the minimum I would like a little more at the bottom.

Banned
    Yes, I saw the Hoya ratings in the older study. Both the Hoya Wide and the Hoya ECP look very good.

The SOLA One and the Varilux Physio 360 are the two others I've been seriously considering, but I was so impressed with what I read on the Seiko site about the Success Internal (called the Seiko Super Proceed Internal outside the US) that I wanted to try it. Have you tried this one? There have been only a few posts about it on this site (can't remember by whom), but everything I've read about it on this forum and others has been very positive. I think it's only been available in the US since April.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Happylady
    I think I saw several Hoya lenses in the older study.
    you wearing your new glasses and trying to adjust to them?
    Well, to be honest... They give me a migraine when I'm working at the computer, plus they slow me down significantly because I can't see what I need to see half the time. I had too much work to do today to have a migraine and not be able to see, but I wore them all day yesterday, and now that I'm done with the serious work I had to do, I'll put them on again.

Banned
    Glasses have been on again for a while. I'm more-or-less okay with them as long as I don't look down and don't go near a computer. When I try to use a computer with them, I get dizzy, nauseous, and headachy - feels almost like I'm carsick.

I really want to try a different type of progressive lens with a wider near area.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Glasses have been on again for a while. I'm more-or-less okay with them as long as I don't look down and don't go near a computer. When I try to use a computer with them, I get dizzy, nauseous, and headachy - feels almost like I'm carsick.

I really want to try a different type of progressive lens with a wider near area.
    I have just had a look on this thread- but why don't you try progressive lenses for computer/ office work? They are for middle and near distance? And they have wide near area.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dary
    I have just had a look on this thread- but why don't you try progressive lenses for computer/ office work? They are for middle and near distance? And they have wide near area.
    I don't have the money for two pairs of glasses. This one cost me $1000.

I just got a call from the optician. She called Seiko, and the Seiko Succeed Internal is not yet available in the US. They had no information on when it would be. I'm very disappointed. I read on this site it would be available in the US in April.

So I'm going to go with either SOLO One or the Varilux Physio 360. The optician recommends the Physio 360. HappyLady on this forum recommends the SOLO One. I'll read a little bit more about each of them and decide.

No Seiko Succeed Internal. So sad.

Banned
    I'm going to go with SOLA One. Their technical white paper makes sense. The Varilux Physio 360 white paper sounds like marketing BS. The SOLA One design -based on research data, Happy Lady's experience, and their whitepaper - is just what I'm looking for.

Banned

Thanks!!

P.S. (How could I forget this?) THANK YOU for all the help everyone has given me, especially HappyLady. Thanks for the information, the links, and for sharing your experience with difference lenses.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm going to go with SOLA One. Their technical white paper makes sense. The Varilux Physio 360 white paper sounds like marketing BS. The SOLA One design -based on research data, Happy Lady's experience, and their whitepaper - is just what I'm looking for.
    I hope you like the Sola One. It is a really nice lens(but so is the Physio). I just hope you aren't expecting too much. I think it is a step up from the Comfort, but it isn't THAT much different or better.

My brother wears the Comfort, he didn't get them from me and is completely happy with them. The place he got them switched him to the Panamic and he hated it, had to go back to the Comfort.

My sister in law also wears it. I recently ordered her another pair of glasses and we talked about switching lenses. We decided not to as she is also very happy with her Comforts.

Let us know how it goes with the new lenses. It will be interesting to see if it makes a difference.

Banned
    I will certainly let you know how it goes! Thanks again for all the info.

Occupation
    Optical Retail

Continuum

How about the Essilor Continuum? Its a lens that gives you intermediate on the top and reading on the bottom, great for computer use, and the reading area at the bottom is good if you need to look at small print on a paper that you are typing from. hope this helps,sheryl.

Thread Information