Thread: How to start a frame line

Bad address email on file

How to start a frame line

I would like to start my own line of frames. Can you give me any advice? How do I get started?

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    1. Decide what type of frame line you want - Fashionable, affordable, practical, big, small, and so forth.

2. Do research on what is currently out there in that line. Is it a welcoming area or will you be one in a million.

3. After step 2, redo step 1 if needed.

4. Research what you need to do to set it up. Parts, labour, costs ect.

5. Figure out how you want to distribute the product. Independent only, Consigment, hire reps, ect.

This should get you started.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by London
    I would like to start my own line of frames. Can you give me any advice? How do I get started?
    Are you optical retailer or supplier

1. Decide what type of frame line you want - {Fashionable}
    2. Do research on what is currently out there in that line. {A lot, one in a million}
    4. Research what you need to do to set it up. Parts, labour, costs ect. {Yes, that is what I am doing on Optiboard right now.}
    5. Figure out how you want to distribute the product. {by myself, eventually hire reps}

Quote Originally Posted by 890890
    Are you optical retailer or supplier
    I will be a supplier.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I cannot offer real specifics since markets differ depending on where you are. Basically to be successful, you need to have a USP or unique selling proposition first in order to establish a new line. This can be anything in the value or supply chain since you are a supplier. This would be a good chance to announce why and how you are different compared the the other players in the industry.

I feel this is a very viscious industry, and designs are frequently imitated at ridiculously low prices eroding any competitive advantage you have. The tag heuer styles and silhouette frames are great design that have fallen victim to copy cats. My opinion is that quality and/or marketing counts. Some famous brands are able to sell alot inspite of their low quality due to marketing.

I think the crucial thing boils down to how well you can work with your retailers and what incentives you can offer them to carry your line and whether they are able to sell them fast enough or if it is a niche market, whether the premiums are attractive.
    Just my 2 cents on this.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper I will be a supplier.

I will be a supplier.
    Need more clarification...............are you a manufacturer..............or a importer and distributor.............or want to become one.

What are or will be your target customers?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hopefully some of our fellow optiboarders who make there own frames and clip-on sunglasses could chime in and give you an idea about the equipment and supplies needed. One hurdle will be the amount of copying that takes place among frame companies. I would suggest designing and building very high end, one of a kind type frames. If you decide to go more bread and butter designs, I feel that you will fail. The Chinese frame companies will be able to copy and produce any frame for much less than you will ever be able to produce them, unless, you build relationships with some of them to actually make your lines.

Fezz
    :cheers:

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    2. Do research on what is currently out there in that line. {A lot, one in a million}
    I do not think you are done that part yet. I have rep after rep after rep come to my practice. Many with extremely fashionable frames at a good price. Why would I buy these frames from you?

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    4. Research what you need to do to set it up. Parts, labour, costs ect. {Yes, that is what I am doing on Optiboard right now.}
    5. Figure out how you want to distribute the product. {by myself, eventually hire reps}
    If you can firgure out who you're competing with(your competitor), NOT who you're going to sell with(your customer), and how you can win the game, then you can go ahead. Remember what you're thinking of right now was already DONE by your rivals far earlier.

On the Sunset Tour! Framebender's Avatar
    Occupation

It might be worth your time. . .

to talk to Jerry Huang. He's the man for one off high end frames. I know he's listed in the members list. I've seen some of his pieces and they are worth the money!
    Days where my gratitude exceed my expectations are very good days!

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Also check Billy Brock http://www.billybrock.com/ , some of his frames are custom.

Occupation

Thumbs up Whichever way you go........................

Whichever way you go............high end............middle end..........or end end............you will find find out that it is extremely tough to get into the market and it will be a few years of belt tightening until you will produce enough to make a good living. Unless you have a few millions to back you up.

I been there all they way.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser
    Need more clarification...............are you a manufacturer..............or a importer and distributor.............or want to become one.

What are or will be your target customers?
    I intend to start a frame company. I will contract out the manufacturing initially. I have the marketing and sales strategies in place. What I am still looking into is the design, manufacturing and distribution.

Occupation
    Brain Storm, Brain F--t (whichever).

I was looking through my old glasses this PM when I came across an OLD Cambridge by Universal in SOLID 14k gold. Why not start a line of high, high end frames in solid 14k and 18k gold with maybe a few diamonds, rubies, emeralds, etc.on some??

It's only an idea.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui

I was looking through my old glasses this PM when I came across an OLD Cambridge by Universal in SOLID 14k gold. Why not start a line of high, high end frames in solid 14k and 18k gold with maybe a few diamonds, rubies, emeralds, etc.on some??

It's only an idea.

Ahhh, the good old Cambridge!!!! Have you come across is brother Corsair? ;) True classics. It is a shame that the new versions are a shoddy imitation to what they once were. But, when was the last time you sold one?

Fezz
    :cheers:

Occupation

Blue Jumper I intend to start a frame company....................

I intend to start a frame company. I will contract out the manufacturing initially. I have the marketing and sales strategies in place. What I am still looking into is the design, manufacturing and distribution.
    In the way of design look at my website I mentioned above and make a research of what the other major companies have on their program.

I have seen that lately most of these companie are advertising their latest sunglasse which are usually a fore runner of fashion to come. I have seen that all of the newest models have gone again into big size styles. So you have to watch out and and seriously consider that a change form the small sizes is due soon.

For manufacturing get into contact with "Doc in China" who is inthat field and knows many manifavturers over there. You can find his e-mail address on the optiboard member list.

Nice idea

Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui

It's only an idea.
    It's a nice idea, but the only problem is... how many people will buy a solid gold frame with diamonds? Not too many. Not enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser
    In the way of design look at my website I mentioned above and make a research of what the other major companies have on their program.

I have seen that lately most of these companie are advertising their latest sunglasse which are usually a fore runner of fashion to come. I have seen that all of the newest models have gone again into big size styles. So you have to watch out and and seriously consider that a change form the small sizes is due soon.

For manufacturing get into contact with "Doc in China" who is inthat field and knows many manifavturers over there. You can find his e-mail address on the optiboard member list.
    thanks. i have been in contact with doc in china

Occupation
    It's a nice idea, but the only problem is... how many people will buy a solid gold frame with diamonds? Not too many. Not enough.
    Don't have to sell a lot of them.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Hi I would like to do the same. How did it turn out for you? Any advice is much appreciated! Thank you!

Thread Information