View Poll Results: How many times do you sell the Easy to Clean when you sell AR

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Always

16 57.14%
  • Most of the time

4 14.29%
  • Half and Half

3 10.71%
  • Sometimes

2 7.14%
  • Never

3 10.71%

Thread: Easy to clean AR

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Easy to clean AR

How many times when you sell a pair of AR lenses do you use one of the new easy to clean versions versus a version without the oiliphobic slick coat?

This can apply to lenses like Alize, Vivix Stainless, Carat Advantage, or even if you apply the slick coat yourself.

For us we use Alize on every single pair of AR whether it is single vision or multifocal. Maybe sometimes Trio E/C, but always do a slick coat. I am surprised that my competitors really do not. So I wanted to see what you guys do.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I always offer it and recommend it, but I offer standard AR(zeiss set)also. Some patients just don't want to spend the extra money.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Happylady
    I always offer it and recommend it, but I offer standard AR(zeiss set)also. Some patients just don't want to spend the extra money.
    See I do not offer the choice. That is part of our position in the city though. I argue that it is a much better product with it on, and that consumers will be that much more happier with it than without it. I argue that while a consumer may not get it to save a few extra bucks, in the longer term will not be as satisfied.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life
    See I do not offer the choice. That is part of our position in the city though. I argue that it is a much better product with it on, and that consumers will be that much more happier with it than without it. I argue that while a consumer may not get it to save a few extra bucks, in the longer term will not be as satisfied.
    I don't always give them a choice, but often do. I sell probably 80% or more premium AR.

I highly recommend the more expensive AR, but we have lots of lower middle class patients that have to watch their money. I think the Zeiss SET that we use as a standard AR is good. It never cracks or crazes and is fairly scratch resistant. I tell people it is worth the extra money for the better AR, but it is up to them.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper I highly recommend the more expensive.....................

Quote Originally Posted by Happylady
    I highly recommend the more expensive AR, but we have lots of lower middle class patients that have to watch their money.
    Happylady................So why then dont you apply the easier to clean sytem yourself in your office and dont charge the patient a cent for it, consider it a service, or make an extra small charge for it.

By doing 175 pairs of lenses per a one liter bottle, the cost of applying this coating becomes ridicously minimal.

There are some Optiboard members these days that purchase their AR coated lenses without the slick coat and apply it in their offices with good success.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser
    Happylady................So why then dont you apply the easier to clean sytem yourself in your office and dont charge the patient a cent for it, consider it a service, or make an extra small charge for it.

By doing 175 pairs of lenses per a one liter bottle, the cost of applying this coating becomes ridicously minimal.

There are some Optiboard members these days that purchase their AR coated lenses without the slick coat and apply it in their offices with good success.
    I never realized there is such product as applying you own "easy clean", can you please provide more details on it? It sounds very interesting.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper can you please provide more details on it?...........................

Quote Originally Posted by xoptec
    I never realized there is such product as applying your own "easy clean", can you please provide more details on it? It sounds very interesting.
    xoptec, below is a short write up on the subject from the start to today's use.

History.................

In the early 80s a friend and customer in Vancouver suggested that we should come up with a product that would protect AR coated lenses from salt deposits which created stains on lenses worn in that coastal city.

In 1987 we introduced the first version of the product we called "water resistant". Nobody we contacted in the AR business had any interest for this product.

Some weeks later one morning under the shower I had the idea to rename the product "Hydrophobic solution". With the new name on the product just about every AR coating company started to use it, including our major players Essilor and Sola for many yearsapply theapp.

Our Hydrophobic solution provided a good permanent protection for AR coated lenses for the last 19 years. In 1991 we introduced a version containing anti-static and ant-fog properties, and are still the only company to have and sell such a version.

New use for today's times.....................

Most AR coaters in the USA have been using the hydrophobic pill for the last few years to apply the hydrophobic coating because this is a one step operation that can be done during the vacuum process. However this treatment will leave the lens surface in a rough state which lets dirt accumulate the resulting lens surface is not that easy to clean as our 19 year old process was doing.

Essilor invented a short while ago their so called Alize slick coat that goes over the top of the AR coating by evaporizing polysiloxane on the lens.

The end result is now what we have been making and selling for 19 years. The other major players came up with similar top coats and some of them are still using our original process.

Use by retail opticians and independent labs.....................

Like in the 80s the retail opticians took over the UV dying of lenses, the optician can now apply the slick top coat onto any AR coated lens in his own office in a very easy one step operation. Details are on the website.

By doing so, the cost for the slick coating is reduced by 90%. Lenses are easy to cut as you treat them after they have gone through the bevel edger, therefore you have no more spoiled lenses during the bevelling process.

The end result is the same as you get from the major players in the AR coating field, slick, easy to clean, with the additional benefits that they can not provide, namely, no dust attraction, as static charges dissipate in seconds, as well as fogging up will dissipate in 8 to 10 seconds compared to 60 seconds on lenses without that feature.

Website at http://optochemicals.com

direct access to slick coat page at: http://optochemicals.com/crystalclear.htm
    Last edited by Chris Ryser; 06-23-2006 at 05:32 AM.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser
    xoptec, below is a short write up on the subject from the start to today's use.

Website at http://optochemicals.com

direct access to slick coat page at: http://optochemicals.com/crystalclear.htm
    Wow! There is always somthing new for me to learn in this biz!! I'll order my 1/2L sample tomorrow and give it a test. Thanks!

Thread Information