Thread: Responding to Apprenticeship Messages

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

Responding to Apprenticeship Messages

I certainly don't get it........I attended a technical school for dispensing, only finished my 1st year, and got married. The school doesn't even offer the second year anymore, they combined it all to a 1yr. I move to a different state and come to find out I don't even need schooling, or a license. I wish I had known that when I first moved here, at least I would have still remembered what I learned. I found out about 5yrs ago I needed glasses, well while talking to the optician here I found out she never went to school, she had on the job training and no license....... So, I starting pounding the pavement at optical shops about acquiring an apprenticeship, and they either had plenty already or they had a waiting list. I have tried numerous things, but alot of places are not taking apprentices anymore mainly because they cannot afford to hire them, and the Opticians themselves are working long hard hours. Why are some states board certified and some not? And how do u know which one isn't? I was told in school that just about everywhere u went u needed the license! Guess I wasted a whole year in school, books, and tuition then.
    Seeing the salary u guys are making, makes me crazy, I would die to make that an hour/but I know u deserve it, for all that time and experience in the business......So, now what? I don't know anyone in the business here, and can't seem to get my bigfoot in the door. I have all but given up on my dream. I now work in retail(in a home improvement store) and am thinking.....hhhmm not sure if I can keep working hours like this. So, now I am thinking I could maybe work in a lab somewhere! Well,I don't need schooling for that either, so does anyone know if that is a great job to have? and what it is like? I have contacted some labs around here and they also are not hiring. Now what? Anyone out there have any suggestions? I have contacted the Opticianry board here, and also the schools. I guess my timing must be way off, or maybe now I am just too old:(
    Anyone have any suggestions for me? I have all but given up on something I have been interested in for the last 20yrs and never got to try.

Thank You for letting me vent a little......:hammer: :hammer:

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Distance education...www.nfos.org

if nc is your location and North Carolina is where you're living, you do need a license.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    You are not alone in your thoughts. I worked for a large retail chain that offered me an optical position. At first I was treated like crap by the Opticians on staff because they went to college for their degree and here is a retail chain offering an apprenticeship program. They did not want to share their knowledge....so I found the knowledge and it was not easy. I understand school trained optician's positions DEGREES that they earned.

They have a terrific pay scale. They also have to fight for their pay scale in today's market. Most places can not operate unless they have a license on staff. I know that #1 retail optical caps wages for opticians. Either stay the same pay scale or go into management. Management is more hours for less pay. Once you are in management, payroll is the driving force....Two of the largest optical chains are in competition right now. Who suffers. Everyone in the optical field will suffer. One of the largest retail operators is getting ready to merge the pharmacy department with optical. Is this Apple and Oranges? Join these two areas and staff less. Staff less and make overpaid (as far as the industry is concerned) opticians work more.

Master OptiBoarder Cindy Hamlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I thought this thread would be better served in the Professional and Educational forum instead of the Job Board.
    ~Cindy

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." -Catherine Aird-

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Is there a LensCrafters in your area? They have a great apprentice program, from what i hear. I almost got on there, but they only wanted me for sales, so i declined. They have a full lab...( i peeked in) with new equipment. They even pay for all the study material, tests, and final exam (if you pass). They have good benefits too.
    I wish i could have, but it was too much of a pay cut being a sales assc. and not in the lab!
    Keep trying, this is a great place to get help from great Opticians, (helped me) it's nice to have someone to talk to besides where you work. Where i work, my boss lies to me about everything, i can never get a straight answer from him. It drives me crazy!

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Blue Jumper

Just found this.... though it may be helpfull!!:idea:

Pearliz69 vbmenu_register("postmenu_144157", true);
    OptiBoard Apprentice

Seeking Opticians
    Looking for a change?

Great hours, No weekends

Fast Paced, Lisc not required

Nice, Fun Place to work... Good Pay and Benefits
    Locations are In Veterans Hospitals and Medical Centers.

We are seeking Optician/Managers in Salisbury, NC and possible other NC. locations. If this sounds like something you would like.. Contact me @ 904-859-7522 Or Fax Resume to 904-398-8859

Mike Tipton
    Safe-Lite Optical

Thread Information