Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dr. recommended Varilux Comfort/Receirved Essilor Ovation

OptiBoard Novice

Dr. recommended Varilux Comfort/Receirved Essilor Ovation

I received a perscription from my eye doctor for Varilux Comfort, High Index 1.67 I went to a different place to have my perscription filled. I did not know at the time that there are different brands of progressive lenses and how much of a difference they could make. This is my first pair. After having some trouble I began to do some research. The lenses I received are Essilor Ovation Poly Transition. They are very heavy and my eyes will start hurting after having them on for a couple of hours. Now I don't know if I should go back to my eye doctor or to the place that filled my perscription. Is there that much of a difference in the two brands? Any suggestions would be helpful.

jstmee

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper Any suggestions would be helpful. ......................

Quote Originally Posted by jstmee
    Any suggestions would be helpful.
    jstmee
    These lenses, all come with a non adapt warranty. Go back to your doctor and have him make something that you will like and tolerate.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I agree...Go back to your doctor. The transition feature is also available with the product your doctor recommended if you want that feature. Transition is a great feature...the only negative thing I can say about it is that is does not turn as dark in a car because of the UV blocking of your windshield. The 1.67 index is higher that the poly index of 1.59 which means your glasses should be thinner if surfaced in a similar manner. The coatings protecting your glasses from scratching are also more effective on the 1.67 than on the poly. In other words, poly will tend to scratch more than what your doctor recommended. Glasses such as these are expensive and protecting your investment with premium coatings is a good investment. The other feature that you may look into is the anti-glare or anti-reflection coating. Not only will it eliminate glare giving you better, more comfortable vision but it will double the useful life of the transition which tends to slow down after about 2 years of use normally. 4 years with AR coating. Good luck.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    First, this is your first progressive lens and any first time progressive wearer is going to get a headache while adapting to the lenses. It doesn't matter what type of progressive it is. Have you worn glasses before at all? The heaviness may or may not be the lenses, could be the frame as well. The lenses you received are good lenses. Just because the doctor wrote a certain manuf on the prescription doesn't mean squat. They shouldn't do that anyhow, it's ridiculous unless they get some kind of kick back by selling those lenses. If you question if they're right, go back to the Optician that made them, have them double check everything and if everything turns out ok, have them explain better to you how the lenses work and what to expect.Then...give the glasses a chance.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Shellrob, I have to completly disagree with you regarding always getting headaches with first pair of progressives. We call patients 1 week after pick up on new progressives and it is less than 5% of patients who have headaches. Usually these get better with 24-48 hours. We only sell premium progressives like Gradal top and Nikon I and W so this may be a reason why we do not have the same headache experience but to bluntly say everyone who has a first pair of progressive,no matter what brand, gets a headache is out of touch with reality. Anyone else out there report headaches or lack there of on new progressives?:hammer:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    OK, maybe I should have said a lot instead of all. My bad. However, you said that you call after a week of them having them. That's the key right there, but I bet if you called the day after a first timer picked them up, your % would increase. See, after a week, they love them so much that they forget about the headaches they had.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Go back to your doctor and bring in all the supporting documents to have him/her help you to troubleshoot your problems. Also bring your old glasses to help him know what you wore in the past.

Just understand that it will take the doctor some time to figure out the problem. You definitely didn't get what was recommended!

If you go back to the dispensing place, they will tell you to go back to your doctor anyways.

C-10
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Go back to who you purchases your eyewear from, they are the one who sold you the eyewear they should be the ones to find out what is wrong with them. If they can’t find out they will send you back to the Dr.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by jstmee
    I received a perscription from my eye doctor for Varilux Comfort, High Index 1.67 I went to a different place to have my perscription filled. I did not know at the time that there are different brands of progressive lenses and how much of a difference they could make. This is my first pair. After having some trouble I began to do some research. The lenses I received are Essilor Ovation Poly Transition. They are very heavy and my eyes will start hurting after having them on for a couple of hours. Now I don't know if I should go back to my eye doctor or to the place that filled my perscription. Is there that much of a difference in the two brands? Any suggestions would be helpful.

jstmee
    Polycarb in not very good for correcting vision. The only reason so much is sold now is grand marketing sceems. It IS cheaper than high index, but not very good. Try some NON polycarb lenses and you are sure to see more clearly!

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Stone
    Polycarb in not very good for correcting vision. The only reason so much is sold now is grand marketing sceems. It IS cheaper than high index, but not very good. Try some NON polycarb lenses and you are sure to see more clearly!
    My sentiment exactly. As to where to go...I would start with the optical but you may have a hard time. If you do, ask for a refund and see the doctor. It is not very fair to dump bad glasses on the doctor if he did not make them and you (or the optical you chose) did not follow his recommendation. It could be an RX error which the dr. is responsible for but after that, it is a product issue and as Jim Stone mentionned, polycarb is not the best material out there. Good luck.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I for one feel we should not give consumers advice like this. "Go here. No, go there. He should have done this...no, that."

Not knowing the real details of the case, it is unprofessional conduct, IMHO, to offer up solutions. It is even more unprofessional to blame one party or the other, or to propose that one party is more capable of solving the problem then the other.

Consumers with problems should be directed back to the provider/s from whence they came. Period.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by fjpod
    I for one feel we should not give consumers advice like this. "Go here. No, go there. He should have done this...no, that."

Not knowing the real details of the case, it is unprofessional conduct, IMHO, to offer up solutions. It is even more unprofessional to blame one party or the other, or to propose that one party is more capable of solving the problem then the other.

Consumers with problems should be directed back to the provider/s from whence they came. Period.
    exactly

We uses these consumers to try to prove to each other that we are smart and win a debate.

WE ARE NOT HELPING THE CONSUMER!

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We have no idea what this person's prescription is but I am guessing it isn't light if the doctor is recommending 1.67. We don't know if he/she has an AR. The patient said they were heavy, but we know that poly is a light weight material.

Several of you have said that poly isn't the best material for optics, but neither is 1.67. Without knowing what he was wearing before and his rx it is hard to say if the poly is causing problems.

I had a woman call me a couple of days ago with problems with her first progressive. She told me her eyes hurt when she used them on the computer. After more discussion I learned that she was trying to see computer distance through the top of her lenses rather then use the middle. His problem could be something like this, but we just don't have enough information to know.

My point is with the little information we have it is impossible to know what the problem or solution is here. He needs to first go back to the optical and have them check them out again and talk to him about what his problems are.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Happylady
    We have no idea what this person's prescription is but I am guessing it isn't light if the doctor is recommending 1.67. We don't know if he/she has an AR. The patient said they were heavy, but we know that poly is a light weight material.

Several of you have said that poly isn't the best material for optics, but neither is 1.67. Without knowing what he was wearing before and his rx it is hard to say if the poly is causing problems.

I had a woman call me a couple of days ago with problems with her first progressive. She told me her eyes hurt when she used them on the computer. After more discussion I learned that she was trying to see computer distance through the top of her lenses rather then use the middle. His problem could be something like this, but we just don't have enough information to know.

My point is with the little information we have it is impossible to know what the problem or solution is here. He needs to first go back to the optical and have them check them out again and talk to him about what his problems are.
    Exactly

We have not looked at if it is a fit, measurement or rx problem, and we cannot because we need to see this person.

So instead of clouding the consumer's head with solutions that may not work lets encourage the one solution we know has a chance of working, and that is going back to the dispenser.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

I think that some of us needs to inform everyone we can about the lack of visual accuity with polycarb products. It has nothing to do with RX or fit. See poly is a bad product period. So the people standing to profit form poly have done a remarkable job, no doubt selling the product. I wouldn't sell poly to a one eyed person. Why? Because they need good vision in their one eye more than a 2 eyed person. Poly is crap. PURE crap! Come on, let's own up to it. Look, now they are selling poly and calling it HIGH IMPACT. Problem is, the "high impact" poly is thinner than the safety poly. How much can consumers be missled. ARE YOU GOING TO BE A PART OF THIS?

Occupation
    I think that some of us needs to inform everyone we can about the lack of visual accuity with polycarb products. It has nothing to do with RX or fit. See poly is a bad product period. So the people standing to profit form poly have done a remarkable job, no doubt selling the product. I wouldn't sell poly to a one eyed person. Why? Because they need good vision in their one eye more than a 2 eyed person. Poly is crap. PURE crap! Come on, let's own up to it. Look, now they are selling poly and calling it HIGH IMPACT. Problem is, the "high impact" poly is thinner than the safety poly. How much can consumers be missled. ARE YOU GOING TO BE A PART OF THIS?
    I have worn poly. If you get a poly has a clean processing you get a much better product.

I have work poly, 1.5, 1.56, 1.67, 1.6 and trivex. I cannot tell the difference between them.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life
    I have worn poly. If you get a poly has a clean processing you get a much better product.

I have work poly, 1.5, 1.56, 1.67, 1.6 and trivex. I cannot tell the difference between them.
    Too many problems. I bet you can't.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have poly glasses now and they are great. My prescription sunglasses are cr-39 and I can't tell the difference. My husband has poly and cr-39. He likes the poly, he says they are much lighter. My daughter has had poly and 1.6 and done fine with both.

I sell plenty of poly with NO problems at all. I might see a problem with it a couple times a year, maybe.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I get so tired of the Poly is bad stuff. If the best optics were the only consideration, then everyone would be in crown glass.

Obviously there is more to consider.

1.67 is not great optically either. Should that material be put out to pasture as well as any other higher index materials?

While I won't use poly on high cyls and the more extreme RXs, I do use it often, and have only one non adapt for the year.

I don't use a lot of Hoya product, and it isn't as readily available in my area. So the option are primarily Glass, Cr-39, poly and 1.67 in any type of progressive. Doesn't give me a lot of choice if I want to do Trivex.

Most people don't want to pay the $$ for 1.67 for a +/- 3.oo lens.

Cassandra
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I was of the understanding that when the doctor writes a certain brand (ie Varilux) on the rx, that this is more of a recommendation rather than a prescribed element.

My doctor may write on the notes coming out of the office a brand, but typically it boils down to a designation on which area we need to enhance best. When we write the rx out for the patient, we don't include those notes. We don't even put on their a style, unless it is a case where we know a PAL won't work, etc.

If a patient comes in with a brand recommended, I might use that one, I may not.. depending upon my own assessment.

What if she was put into the physio 360 instead, and still having issues? Or the Ipseo?

Cassandra
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Allen Weatherby
    Occupation

Poly

As a follow up to Jubilee:
    I get so tired of the Poly is bad stuff. If the best optics were the only consideration, then everyone would be in crown glass.
    Poly can be good or bad. There are different methods for producing polycarbonate lenses. The raw material and the injection equipment and proceedures can create lenses with very different quality optics. It is possible to have decent optics with poly.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Blue Jumper any first time progressive wearer is going to get a headache ..............

Quote Originally Posted by shellrob
    First, this is your first progressive lens and any first time progressive wearer is going to get a headache while adapting to the lenses. It doesn't matter what type of progressive it is.
    shellrob....................could you please elaborate a little more..............why every progressive wearer gets a headche to start with ???

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    OH!....Now I'm getting a headache!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Yes, consumers need to be educated...but on a case by case basis in your office or shop. In a setting where you have all the information and can physically examine the patient.

The poly issue is typical. Poly is not a perfect material. There is no agreement among professionals. How can a particular consumer be helped in an online forumn like this with diverging opinions? They are going to have to shrug their shoulders and pick one camp or the other. Their chances or getting appropriate materials and a good fit are much better in a face to face encounter with an optometrist or optician.

Everything has relative risks and benefits. The true professional helps the consumer weigh the pros and cons of each aspect of eyewear to best match the consumers needs. You just can't say, "Poly is bad for everybody".

BTW, I consider myself an optical professional. I know just about everything about abbe, index, impact resistance, etc. as it relates to poly. I wear poly full time. My Rx is about -3.50 with a 2.00 add.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Good post

Yes, consumers need to be educated...but on a case by case basis in your office or shop. In a setting where you have all the information and can physically examine the patient.

The poly issue is typical. Poly is not a perfect material. There is no agreement among professionals. How can a particular consumer be helped in an online forumn like this with diverging opinions? They are going to have to shrug their shoulders and pick one camp or the other. Their chances or getting appropriate materials and a good fit are much better in a face to face encounter with an optometrist or optician.

Everything has relative risks and benefits. The true professional helps the consumer weigh the pros and cons of each aspect of eyewear to best match the consumers needs. You just can't say, "Poly is bad for everybody".

BTW, I consider myself an optical professional. I know just about everything about abbe, index, impact resistance, etc. as it relates to poly. I wear poly full time. My Rx is about -3.50 with a 2.00 add.
    Good advice.

There are good points and bad points to each material...the consumer should go back to their eye care professional. Besides, if he/she was concerned with recommendation (that's all it is), why did he/she go elsewhere in the first place?

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Thread Information