Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dr. recommended Varilux Comfort/Receirved Essilor Ovation

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I corrected my original post by saying that a lot(instead of all) of patients get a headache with a first time progressive. It's common and likely to happen if you've never worn them before. Same goes with a new rx, ft bifocal. Great if the patient doesn't get a headache, but normal if they do.

This patient stated that they have never worn progressive lenses before and is having headaches. They're questioning if the headache is because the Optician put them in a different progressive other than what was written on the rx. I simply meant that a headache is perfectly normal in a first time progressive wearer and doesn't matter what brand of progressive. Does everyone get a headache? No. But it happens a lot. I then recommended the patient go back to where they got them, have them checked and if everything checks out ok, give the glasses a chance, the headache may and probably will subside with use.

Howwever, someone said above, we don't know all the facts in this case and we probably shouldn't say anything at all.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Stone
    Polycarb in not very good for correcting vision. The only reason so much is sold now is grand marketing sceems. It IS cheaper than high index, but not very good. Try some NON polycarb lenses and you are sure to see more clearly!
    I wear polycarbonate and happily read the 20/15 row with my glasses. How's that for correcting vision?

OptiBoard Novice
    Thank you all so much for your replies! The reason I went to a diffent optical place for my prescription is because the office where I had my eyes checked did not have a very wide frame selection. I went back to my doctor and he told me to go back and tell them to fill the prescription like he asked. He said I would have better success with the Viralux 1.67 and this would also stop the swim effect that I experience when I look across a room and they would be thinner and lighter. He also added a prism to help the words stop moving around when I read. So I went to the makers and they said they would gladly change the lenses but that the Ovation lenses are a new product very comprable to the Veralux. She said the Ovation has a wider vision span in the middle (sorry I don't remember all the technical terms). She said that the prism will stop the swim effect. She said that the Varilux Comfort 1.67 has a narrower vision field than the Ovation and that I would have to go to the Verilux Panaromic to get a wider field. She said that some doctors want to get you used to the Varilux so you will continue to use the more expenses lenses. She advised me to go with the Ovation with the added prism and see how that works. If it doesn't then we will try something else. I know it is hard to give me advice with so little information. I would give you my prescription, but I left it with the optical place and forgot to get a copy. Could you just give me your opinion on this: Does the Ovation poly have a wider vision field than the Varilux Comfort 1.67? And what is the difference in the Ovation poly and the Ovation 167?

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by jstmee
    She said that some doctors want to get you used to the Varilux so you will continue to use the more expenses lenses.
    That has to be one of the most asinine things I've ever heard. The doctor who wrote the prescription was aware that he won't get any money from you but still told you to get 1.67 Varilux comfort.

While I don't agree in general with specifying brand type or index for lenses on a prescription, there are rare cases when it may be advisable. For this optician(?) to twice steer you away from what you doctor has prescribed is not only questionable business practice but quite possibly misconduct. Where I practice, opticians are not allowed to modify a prescription unilaterally.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    You actually received a newer and better lens design. For the record the Varilux Comfort design is over 25 years old and was first introduced in America in the mid 90's. Polycarbonate is optically a poor choice, but I doubt if that's causing your problem. As everyone else has said, go back and discuss your problems with the doctor/dispenser.........

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Angry Oh for pete's sake.....

Consumers are allowed to post on the Board, as long as the posts concern general eyecare related topics. However please be aware that any questions that involve diagnosing specific eyecare and eyewear problems are not appropriate for an online discussion forum. These kinds of questions should be discussed with a qualified eyecare professional who has examined you and is familiar with your situation. Posts asking for diagnostic help will be closed or removed.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy Canty
    Consumers are allowed to post on the Board, as long as the posts concern general eyecare related topics. However please be aware that any questions that involve diagnosing specific eyecare and eyewear problems are not appropriate for an online discussion forum. These kinds of questions should be discussed with a qualified eyecare professional who has examined you and is familiar with your situation. Posts asking for diagnostic help will be closed or removed.
    Is this a prerecorded message? You keep saying this same stuff. These people are seeking help. How 'bout we help them. You scaird that they will discover your pricing structure? No worst than the gas companies. No worse than a hardware store. Put your fears to rest. Help these people.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    No, not pre-recorded...just quoting the posting guidelines that we all agreed to abide by when we registered to post here.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    No, not pre-recorded...just quoting the posting guidelines that we all agreed to abide by when we registered to post here.
    Be it known NOW. I have changed my mind. I no longer agree to anything that stiffles my right to free speach. As long as I am jim stone of the USA, I will say what I please!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Fine by me. I'm only a moderator. Steve makes the final call. It's his board.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Fine by me. I'm only a moderator. Steve makes the final call. It's his board.
    WWWOOOOO Im scaird! NOW!

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Hey Jimmy boy guess what? You do live in the USA and here in the USA there are certain things called rules and laws. If you choose not to live by them you have that right, however you also have the right to face the consequences. Judy is doing what she is supposed to be doing and thats monitor the post and make sure all posters are following the guidelines. It's amazing that my three year old daughter shows more respect and common sense than you:hammer:

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by OPTIDONN
    Hey Jimmy boy guess what? You do live in the USA and here in the USA there are certain things called rules and laws. If you choose not to live by them you have that right, however you also have the right to face the consequences. Judy is doing what she is supposed to be doing and thats monitor the post and make sure all posters are following the guidelines. It's amazing that my three year old daughter shows more respect and common sense than you:hammer:
    Who pulled YOUR string? BOY!:hammer: :cheers: :idea: :drop: :finger:

Master OptiBoarder Cindy Hamlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Just a friendly reminder:

I understand your feel you have a right to free speech, but that doesn't include denegrading and name calling. I direct you to the optiboard posting guidelines (they are located under the FAQ link at the top left of every page, FYI). My red and bold.

This is a public discussion forum. It is not acceptable to post messages which offer to give private information on companies and individuals via e-mail or phone. If you have something to say - say it here and in public. This way, the affected party has a fair chance of seeing and responding to the message. Also, limit yourself to the facts. Name-calling and innuendo are not appropriate uses of this forum.
    Please refrain from either.
    Last edited by Cindy Hamlin; 06-15-2006 at 09:22 PM.
    ~Cindy

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." -Catherine Aird-

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by Cindy Hamlin
    Jim,
    I understand your feel you have a right to free speech, but that doesn't include denegrading and name calling. I direct you to the optiboard posting guidelines (they are located under the FAQ link at the top left of every page, FYI). My red and bold.

Please refrain from either.
    Why you bustin MY butt for name calling. If you can read, you will see HE called me BOY first!. That's all I called him back.
    OK. Now. Somebody gotta cool this down. Obviouslly a vindictive natured person cannot. (Sposed to be fair, do not let your natural vindictive nature get the best of you).

Here I go being the bigger guy.
    *******I am sorry.*******

Master OptiBoarder Cindy Hamlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Since this thread has continued it slide away from the original subject into personal attacks and he said/she said I will close it to let all parties have some time to cool off.

Feel free after you have thought about it and cleared away the animosity to post again.
    ~Cindy

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." -Catherine Aird-

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Stone
    WWWOOOOO Im scaird! NOW!
    You do NOT have a right to post whatever you want on OptiBoard. If you don't like it, you can leave. That IS your right. :D

Any further outbursts and you will no longer be welcome on OptiBoard.

The Mods have full permissions to ban you if they deem it appropriate. You can act civilized and abide by the rules of this forum, or you can leave. The choice is now yours.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Thread Information