Thread: Seeking job as optometrists or advice how to get licence in USA

OptiBoard Novice

Seeking job as optometrists or advice how to get licence in USA

I am an ophthalmologist, did masters in ophthalmology from Asia, moved to UK, passed PLAB, got registration in UK, worked in ophthalmology department 6m to 1 yr. I have past 5-7 years experience in the field of optometry in Asia and Saudi Arabia, prescribing spectacles and contact lenses. Now, how may I get an optometrist job in USA or how may I get registration/liscence over there. please email me shahmrkarim@yahoo.co.uk

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wave

It is my understanding that no matter what your experience, education, or potential skills that may benefit the citizens of the USA, you can not practice Optometry with out first graduating from one of this country's six or seven colleges that teach optometry.

If you were an Ophthalmologist where you lived in the past, would be easier for you to qualify to be an Ophthalmologist in this country. Ophthalmologists are held in higher regard anyway. Optometry in the USA is driven by their schools ability to control who may become an Optometrist or not.

Good Luck!

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by shah karim
    I am an ophthalmologist, did masters in ophthalmology from Asia, moved to UK, passed PLAB, got registration in UK, worked in ophthalmology department 6m to 1 yr. I have past 5-7 years experience in the field of optometry in Asia and Saudi Arabia, prescribing spectacles and contact lenses. Now, how may I get an optometrist job in USA or how may I get registration/liscence over there. please email me shahmrkarim@yahoo.co.uk
    It is possible to do medical ophthalmology or refractions under the medical license of someone else. This is commonly seen in Departments of ophthalmology. However, to get surgical privlleges, you would be required to have the equivalent education of someone who had the appropriate American medical degree. I do know that foreign medical graduates can take the USMLE Part 1 and qualify to be matched in the residency match system but you would be in a difficult competition against American derived medical degrees.

Thread Information