Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Choosing an edger

OptiBoard Novice

Choosing an edger

Any help on choosing an edger. I never edged before. Leaning towards the Briot Accura CX or Briot Axcell CLD. Any opinions? Why you like or not like Briot?

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    If you've never edged before, why do you want to start now?? Let the experts at your local independent lab do it.

Vision Equipment OptiBoard Corporate Sponsor Leo Hadley Jr's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    I can give you the pros and cons of every edger available.
    The important thing is what do you need? Who will be running the equipment? Level of experience? Space requirements? Budget? I can give you an unbiased opinion on what patternless edging system is best for you.

Please Visit my eBAY Store
    www.stores.ebay.com/OptiForum

If you are serious about starting a lab, please give me a call for a consultation. My contact info is in my ebay store

Thanks
    Leo Hadley Jr
    Vision Equipment
    T: 855.776.2020

www.visionequipmentinc.com

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Nidek 9000 every time for me. It is the edger I have spent my whole career waiting for. Easy to train people on too. We do work for Accura labs unable to do certain tricky jobs. Nidek Nidek Nidek.
    Optical technicians in Britain.

http://www.optiglaze.co.uk/forum/

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by aheinz
    Any help on choosing an edger. I never edged before. Leaning towards the Briot Accura CX or Briot Axcell CLD. Any opinions? Why you like or not like Briot?
    We shopped around. At seco in Atlanta the salesman couldn't even get the brio to edge properly. AT A SHOW! I agree with the Nidek 9000. We chose that 5 years ago and do not regret for a second.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui
    If you've never edged before, why do you want to start now??
    How about $$ in your pocket ?:cheers: We never had money to expand, give bonuses, or any of the other fun things that money lets you do, until we started doing in-house finishing. When we were a one-store company, it was an instant $3k in our pockets after the expenses.

If someone at the lab can become an "expert", there's a pretty good chance that you can also. Edging is not for everyone, but don't let labs tell you that you have to be an expert to do it.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    I can't see why an optician couldn't be an expert refracter.

REply ! Help edging machine

Quote Originally Posted by aheinz
    -----------------------------
    My dear friend,
    this is SAEED. We provide a wide range of Edging machines Such as briot - Weco, Essilor, Nikon, ..etc. i have been in this business for almost 5 years and what i suggest you is that in the edger brands that i named above, briot is the best one. it is easy to fix, get parts.
    Chosing the right device for your business depended to many things, size of your business, the money you make, and what you expect of you business in a near future and your location.
    if you have any question feel free to email me at saeed@briotiran.com
    thank you

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by RGC_man
    Nidek 9000 every time for me. It is the edger I have spent my whole career waiting for. Easy to train people on too. We do work for Accura labs unable to do certain tricky jobs. Nidek Nidek Nidek.
    There are Briot Accura and Nidek ME-1000, which one will you choose? Thanks.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation

Thumbs up

Nidek ME 1000. You won't regret. I work with Nidek 9000- it is exellent. ME 1000 is better, but expensive. If you can afford ME 1000, don't hesitate.

Occupation
    The Accura CX and CLD are both great edgers. If you are doing or plan on doing alot of drill mounts then the extra price of the CLD will pay for its self. The CLD is eazier to use for an inexperenced optician bc of the auto lensometer built in.

Jim Stone, I am not use why the salesman couldn't get he edger working properly at the Atlanta show. I know that we have had problems at shows because of low voltage.

RGC_man, I am not sure why they would be sending out the trickey jobs, unless the optician is scare to run them. I have yet to find a frame that i could not edge in the Briot Accura line of edgers.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by dary
    Nidek ME 1000. You won't regret. I work with Nidek 9000- it is exellent. ME 1000 is better, but expensive. If you can afford ME 1000, don't hesitate.
    Thanks for your advise.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    nidek will cut a smaller "B" measurement than the briot. If you do a lot of kids, the briot may be a problem.

Harry

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Has anyone tried the new Optronics edger w/ the built in drill? I saw it in NYC and it did look pretty impressive. Unlike balde edgers we've used in the past, this appeared to be quite a bit faster, and sounded much quieter. Anyone know?

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by harry888
    nidek will cut a smaller "B" measurement than the briot. If you do a lot of kids, the briot may be a problem.

Harry
    Harry, what's the problem if we cut a smaller "B" measurement with the Briot edger? Thanks.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Two Accura labs send us their shallow frames and thin glass lenses. About half our labs are Accura and half Nidek. All the Accura labs want Nideks, and none of the Nidek labs want to give them up.

Occupation
    Optical Retail

A Sad Day Today

Yes, I finally disposed of my trusty old WECO, a bright shining piece of new machinery in 1971 which we bought secondhand in 1980 still bright and shining.

We last used it in 1988 and it was still in almost perfect condition but the lure of our first Briot Patternless Edger put the WECO in the corner to gather dust.

Over the last 18 years we've been through 3 Briots, all great machines, and we're now ready for a change and it looks as though Nidek will be taking our cash, main reasons are as mentioned above, shorter 'B' measurements, small high index glass lenses may not break so easily (Here CTs are 1.0mm) etc.

But back to the WECO, we have to make room, so after I realised I couldn't sell the machine I tried to give it away, nobody was interested, not even the optical school. Today a junk dealer was passing by looking for old metal, with a sad heart I invited him in to take the machine.... he looked at it. then tried to lift it and shook his head.... 'could I help him carry it?'
    No I said, I have a back problem. He said he would have a back problem too if he tried to take this down our stairs. He said he would return with a friend.... and I thought that was his getout, but no, he returned an hour later with a big guy and they managed to shift the cast iron German machinery into their van after bits dropped off onto their feet during the descent.

I had tears in my eyes, mainly sadness knowing I'd come to the end of an era when you had to understand optics, base curves etc to use this wonderful piece of semi automation, but also the humour of seeing the large chrome plated control handle drop onto this guy's toe.
    I'm now looking forward to the Nidek.

It's now a few hours later and I never even thought... should I have tried EBay?

Too late!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Weco.............the work horse,

Well just maybe you might regret it,well not after 18 years, I hope Nidek has good customer service and your not backed up with work and no edger.It sounds like I will be checking out the Nidek at vision expo west this september.sounds to be a nice edger...

Whats the cost of a Nidek?

Exclamation Briot Vs Nidek

Briot does a more exact cut comparing to nidek, Nidek is a little bit faster. and requarding the smaller measurement like kids you can change the set.
    www.briotiran.com

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    The only disadvantage I have found to the Nidek is on low minus high index to shallow frames the bevel or groove can disappear off the front of the lens due to clamping, so we use guided mode and increase the curve a little.

Professional Rabble-Rouser hipoptical's Avatar
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns
    Has anyone tried the new Optronics edger w/ the built in drill? I saw it in NYC and it did look pretty impressive. Unlike balde edgers we've used in the past, this appeared to be quite a bit faster, and sounded much quieter. Anyone know?
    I have experience with all the aforementioned edgers. Nidek is good, if you want to deal with Santinelli. My advice is to purchase the Optronics 7E with drilling capabilities. I have a 9000 sitting next to my 7E, mostly unused. The 7E cuts 3x faster than the 9000. Drilling is easy, accurate, and relatively fast. The machine itself is quiet, the vacuum makes a little noise. It cuts dry, which means no mess. Service is great from Optronics. If you ever do have to work on it, it's easy. Best part is the price. Can't be beat for what you get. Ignore everyone else, aheinz, and listen to me. You will thank me if you do. Other edgers are OK, but this is the one you need. If not the 7E, then Nidek (Santinelli) is a good second choice. If you want to save $$, check out AIT, but you'll still be better off with the 7E.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hipoptical,

To be honest with you, one of the reasons we hesitated was that the price looked too good to be true. I wanted to ask someone who actually uses one. We have no problems with our current Combimax, other than it's getting old and things are wearing out on it. I'd also love to have the in-house drilling.

Thanks

Johns

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel Jong
    Harry, what's the problem if we cut a smaller "B" measurement with the Briot edger? Thanks.
    Samuel, just to reply to your question, on the smaller 'B' measurements, the screen shows a message 'not able to cut' and it won't start.

You have to then start trying to fool the machine by increasing the 'final size dimension' until the machine will accept the lens. After it has finished cutting out, usually 5 mm larger than you need, you have to hand edge it down to the required size. Low powered lenses are OK but it can be a real nuisance and not look too good with higher Rxs.

Occupation
    What version programing are you running in your briot?

With the 3.71 and higher programing on a CX or CL edger (excluding the Black and white screen edgers) they will:
    bevel down to 19.5 mm
    groove at 18.5 mm for the newer motorized saftery bevel groovers
    rimless with no grove down to 17.75mm
    grove with safety bevel around 21.3mm depending on machine version
    bevel with safety bevel around 23 mm depending on machine version

If your Accura CX or CL edger does not have the small flat chuck adapors (looks like the round half eye adaptors but with a shorter "B" measurment) call your local tech and have service call scheduled for the programing update.

As of 2002 the nidek LE 9000sx has the following min "B" measurments
    bevel 20 mm
    groove 19 mm
    rimless with no groove 19mm
    rimless with safety bevel 21mm

As you can see from the above mesurments the Nidek can not cut as small as the Briot edgers.
    Last edited by JA OPTRONIC; 06-14-2006 at 12:57 PM.

Professional Rabble-Rouser hipoptical's Avatar
    Occupation
    BUY THE OPTRONICS 7E. Forget all the others.

Thread Information