Thread: Eyemed provider sometimes

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Exclamation Eyemed provider sometimes

I was talking to a frame rep today and she told me about an office that accepts Eyemed. However this office is relatively new and can not see all Eyemed patients. I have heard other things like this with the Eyemed insurance. I understand it does not affect the established practices but how can a new office determine who they can and can't see. I will admit that I openly dislike the entire Luxottica, Lenscrafters, Eyemed, Sunglass Hut monopolistic business style. I think this is getting out of hand and the 3 O's as they like to say need to wise up and start thinking about some sort of action.
    I don't want to sound like some old insecure optician but this style of business is having negative affects on alot of people. Think about your Polo frame rep who has now lost a considerable amount of business because Mr. Ralph Lauren sold his rights to Luxcrafters. Granted the 190 million they paid would be tough to turn down. Is this something that Luxcrafters did to hurt Safilo and the sales reps who represent them? It appears so and if not careful we will all be affected in similar ways. O.D.'s you are competing against the mail order contacts through Eyemed already. The insured are bombarded with better deals through Eyemed and cutting the doctor out completely if they can. The next thing will be Lensottica buying wholesale labs and joining with a big corporate lens suppliers. Laugh you may but I see it coming.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We are one of those new providers with EyeMed that can't take every plan.

Basically. we have to call EyeMed on each individual case.:hammer:
    MOJO :cheers:

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hey at least you are on the provider panel. They keep stringing us along. First started in October of last year, they were missing something, and the doctor had to resubmit.

Talked to them several times from March through May.. was set to be able to take Eyemed in June, and they decided the second week in May (after having our stuff for 7weeks!) That we needed an additional submitted and have to restart the 60-70 day waiting period..This after I made sure in March to verify they had a complete packet!

Meantime, I am starting to lose patients cause we have been mucking with this for the whole first half of the year! Nor can they give me any information other than whether someone is eligible, and if it is a plan we should be able to take...

GGGRrrr.. IF we didn't have two major employers switch to them, I would be telling them where to go...

Cassandra
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

I feel your pain

I know what you mean. They lost an our office packet 3 times and it took 9 months to get credentialed. Remember they are here for the 3 O's. Our independent O.D. has been on the phone every other day repeating the same info over and over. I think it's actually a recycling center.

Bad address email on file Alteaon's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We are also one of those offices that only takes select eye med plans... I'm not a fan of eyemed, and even when accessing it online for authorization, it's still a hassle. I work at a chain, so most of the paperwork has been taken care of for us, but it's still a pain to even get the information to help pt's.

It's also a lot easier to talk to a real person ( if you can get one.). I think the automated system is useless...

Just my two cents. I haven't met anyone who doesn't groan at the mention of eyemed.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    WE MUST ALL UNITE TO NEVER TAKE EYEMED AGAIN!!!

WHO'S WITH ME?

ANYONE?
    MOJO :cheers:

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Unless where you work has an affiliation with Cole, you can only be on 'select' non cole plans. We have a GM plant here, I can't get on the GM insurance as thereis a Pearle for that. Same with Price Chopper/Go-Lub...they have to travel 45min-1 hour to get an exam by a provider. Even our local chamber of commerce can't be seen by me a member as it's serviced by Cole only...brutal

OptiBoard Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by lab fly
    The next thing will be Lensottica buying wholesale labs and joining with a big corporate lens suppliers. Laugh you may but I see it coming.
    LUxottica just bought a Canadian Chain and converting it to PearleVision.

Luxottica owns.... EyeMed, Colemanged Vision, Lenscrafters, PearleVision, Target Optical, Sears Optical, BJ, sunglass hut and the list goes on.

Isn't it unethical for a company like LUX to control everything from eye docs to vision insurance to optical chains? Would you want a drug company like Merck to own your insurance company, physicians, and pharmacies?

I smell an anti-trust lawsuit.

Someone explain to me the rationale as to why LUX has been able to continue their practices for so long.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by Jubilee
    Hey at least you are on the provider panel. They keep stringing us along. First started in October of last year, they were missing something, and the doctor had to resubmit.

Talked to them several times from March through May.. was set to be able to take Eyemed in June, and they decided the second week in May (after having our stuff for 7weeks!) That we needed an additional submitted and have to restart the 60-70 day waiting period..This after I made sure in March to verify they had a complete packet!

Meantime, I am starting to lose patients cause we have been mucking with this for the whole first half of the year! Nor can they give me any information other than whether someone is eligible, and if it is a plan we should be able to take...

GGGRrrr.. IF we didn't have two major employers switch to them, I would be telling them where to go...

Cassandra
    Why don't you call one of your Lux reps for whichever lines you are carrying and see if they can get something done about it. If one of my accts. was having the problems you are and they told me about it I would have it fixed within the week, or at least going in the right direction.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Until Someone Yells Monopoly.............................................

Thread Information