Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Progressive vs Bifocal question.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

Confused Progressive vs Bifocal question.

I have had progresives lenses for 5 years but as the add has increased (on my 3rd pair now, up to 1.5, started at .75 ) I find that reading for pleasure is a pain as I am always trying to find the correct place in the lenses.

I asked the eye doctor about getting a pair of bifocals (in my old frames) to use for book reading and such. He suggested not switching to bifocals as now it would be ok (I am far sighted) but as I get older bifocals would not be enough and that no one likes trifocals so it was better to try to stay in the progressive.

So do most people have problems with trifocals?

Can I switch between bifocals and a pal as needed or will this cause me to get out of practice on the pal?

Thanks
    Tom

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Your doctor thinks so. I often think doctors are relutant to prescribe same because they are afraid they will have to go through all b****** and crying they had to listen to when the patient first went into bifocals. Really, they are great if you want to see, but you probably won't need them until you add is +2.00.

Chip

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I would just put a pair of reading lenses into your old pair

Bad address email on file mhboptics's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    First, I would make sure you have a good quality PAL(i.e. Physio, Creation, etc.). If you do, then a seperate pair would be fine. I don't believe you would have any problems using bi-focals or reading glasses in addition to your PAL's, the only thing you would loose is your intermediate vision.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Your OD is correct in saying that bifocals would be fine for NOW (key word, NOW) but once your reading add reaches +2.00 you're going to be lacking that intermediate area that you have with progressives. Trifocals are certainly a viable option at that point, but there's MANY factors to consider, and much discussion with your optician will need to be accomplished at that point in time. Adapting to progressive with a +2.00 add is FAR more tedious than adapting earlier on as one tends to 'grow into' progressives. However, having said that, with each increase in add power with progressives you will experience a narrowing of the intermediate (and shortening of this particular zone as well) and reading areas, and an increase in the peripheral blur zone.

Most persons adjust grandly to trifocals, because if I fit them with trifocals, they will have a demonstrated need for that lens design due to their occupation, hobbies, activities, etc. These people will go into the trifocal (whether it be coming out of progressives or bifocals) with the full knowledge of the advantages and limitations of these lenses and will have made an educated decision. Trifocals are virtually never used on add powers under +2.00 as there is no need for them until then.

A pair of single vision readers would be a great asset to you at this point, BUT, I'm curious, why you are experiencing difficulty reading having only a +1.50 add. Finding the sweet spot and keeping your eyes within it should not be a problem. THAT problem usually only surfaces with the higher add powers.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by tom moxa

I asked the eye doctor about getting a pair of bifocals (in my old frames) to use for book reading and such. He suggested not switching to bifocals as now it would be ok (I am far sighted) but as I get older bifocals would not be enough and that no one likes trifocals so it was better to try to stay in the progressive.

So do most people have problems with trifocals?

Can I switch between bifocals and a pal as needed or will this cause me to get out of practice on the pal?

Thanks
    Tom
    Trifocals work just fine, and if your doc thinks "no one likes" them, he is flat wrong. And yes, you can switch between bi and pal without a big problem.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field
    Quote Originally Posted by Cindy K
    A pair of single vision readers would be a great asset to you at this point, BUT, I'm curious, why you are experiencing difficulty reading having only a +1.50 add. Finding the sweet spot and keeping your eyes within it should not be a problem. THAT problem usually only surfaces with the higher add powers.
    (Sorry for the long answer and all the other questions. )

I had varilux panamics for the first two pairs and this time switch OD. When looking for a different OD, I tried using the advice from the form and asking the questions like are the opticians licensed, etc but it turns out most of my dealings has been with the OD instead and the lens selection was all done by him not the optician:(. I told the OD my problem with reading for a page or two then feeling things not quite in focus so I blink and try to find the good spot again. I also made sure and got a frame with a fitting height of at least 20.

So first the OD increase my distance and the add and put in Hoya CD lenses but with these lenses I notice a lot of distortion/swim (never had swim in the panamic).

He then decreased the distance a little, lowered fitting height and change to a Hoya Summit ECP lens (with Super Hivision AR). These lenses are ok but notice the text will tilt if I look back and forth through the lower part of the lenses (I understand it will be blurry except in the sweet spot but I never noticed the tilting of text in my panamics) So is the tilting because I now have more add or does that vary depending on the lens type?

With my old or new pair if I blink some then close one eye I seem to have more problem getting my right eye to find the sweet spot then the left. My OD says that closing one eye is not a valid test. So I am hoping that using something with a bigger area will help my problem.

I don't know if I just take the eye test wrong, just picky (thats what my wife thinks :)) or just expecting too sharp of image while I read.

I told him still struggling with reading so he has ordered a pair of lenses with a 1.75 add (he gets free remakes from his supplier).

So if I am still struggling when reading much, I will get try getting a pair of reading glasses or maybe pair of magnifier glasses.

If I get reading glasses, is there a cheap AR I can get to cut down the glare from the lights in the room? (can not see spending as much for the AR as the lens) (will getting the lens tinted help?)

Thanks for all of your replies.

Tom

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Tom-

I personally don't like the Panamic. My patients seem to do better in the Comfort. But if you are use to the Panamic that could have a little to do with it.

However, if you do like to read alot or do any extensive "concentration" type work I would suggest going with some Single Vision lens or maybe even a computer progressive like the Interview if you wanted something a little nicer that give you both intermediate and near vision.

Also, just an after thought. If you just switched places you buy your glasses from there is a good chance the OD or Optician is placing your progressive a little bit too high. This will cause you to get into the narrow part of the lens faster.

I have fixed similiar complaints to yours many times by just lowering a progressive lens down.
    MOJO :cheers:

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Thumbs up So if I am still struggling when reading much......................

So if I am still struggling when reading much, I will get try getting a pair of reading glasses or maybe pair of magnifier glasses.
    Get yourself a pair large segment straight top bifocals 28 or 35.................the top adjusted for computer distance...................and you will be happy for ever................easy redaing and good computer vision. No need for AR neede but maybe a light tint might help against fatigue.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    there is no suv of glasses. Progressives for some work for everything. But for most, having a good pair of readers or lined bifocals just for sitting down to read will really make you feel better. just like transistions are great but they dont compare to a good pair of polarized. It's not uncommon for people to have 2 or 3 pairsof glasses. (and to be honest when your bifocal gets too high sometimes progressives will not cut it for reading, just depending on your vision and what you want to use your glasses for)

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Big Smile having a good pair of readers or lined bifocals just for

Quote Originally Posted by eyegoddess1028
    there is no suv of glasses. Progressives for some work for everything. But for most, having a good pair of readers or lined bifocals just for sitting down to read will really make you feel better.
    I would just like to see everybody to agree with above statement.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    compare it to everday things...can one pair of shoes function for everything? surely your jogging shoes won't work for the meeting with the boss (unless he is head of nike) or your flip flops for the pool wont work for shoveling the walk in december. grant it, having 7 pairs is a bit extreme (but not heard of), but depending how you want to care for your eyes there is no extreme.

Occupation
    Optometrist

With my old or new pair if I blink some then close one eye I seem to have more problem getting my right eye to find the sweet spot then the left. My OD says that closing one eye is not a valid test. So I am hoping that using something with a bigger area will help my problem.

Tom
    If you close one eye and center your "sweet spot" on a large page of print, then close the other and you have to move your head significantly to find it's sweet spot, the p.d.s and/or the seg heights are not correct.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You and your ECP should be discussing this.

Consumers are allowed to post on the Board, as long as the posts concern general eyecare related topics. However please be aware that any questions that involve diagnosing specific eyecare and eyewear problems are not appropriate for an online discussion forum. These kinds of questions should be discussed with a qualified eyecare professional who has examined you and is familiar with your situation. Posts asking for diagnostic help will be closed or removed.

Occupation
    Same here. I'm using progressives now and at my last check-up it was suggested I get a dedicated pair for computer work. For you, a dedicated pair of reading glasses might be the way to go.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rburckhardt
    Same here. I'm using progressives now and at my last check-up it was suggested I get a dedicated pair for computer work. For you, a dedicated pair of reading glasses might be the way to go.
    Just out of curiosity, who did the fitting and adjustments? ;)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Great One Judy

:cheers: Good call Judy!!Was it look into the mirror and measure with the yardstick?
    Or was it milk some poor optician of time (waste of) and money.:bbg:

Fezz
    :cheers:

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy Canty
    Just out of curiosity, who did the fitting and adjustments? ;)
    Oh common Judy! You know that these things don't matter or at least thats how some of these online places feel!:angry: I get real tired of fixing thier mistakes and telling the patient the seg height is incorrect and theres nothing I can do about it! These companies have no right selling bifocals and progressive lenses online without a seg height!!!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yeah, what's a few millimeters among friends...

Occupation
    Optometrist
    From now on, P.D. measurements will cost $100 at our office!

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Ory
    From now on, P.D. measurements will cost $100 at our office!
    Great policy!! :cheers: And an additional $200 for seg heights!

Occupation
    Check this out

http://www.framesdirect.com/lens_drh.asp

When this new Doctors Lens Formula gets out we are all going to be out of a job. This Dr. Guy Hodgson is one smart cat, I wish I was that talented that not only can I get a measurement online, but it is more accurate than the opticians who actually measure.

This guy should be shot.:finger:
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Occupation
    Optometrist

A representative from one of the leading progressive lens manufacturers in the world commented that FramesDirect.com has a lower return rate on progressive lenses than the national average, since FramesDirect.com started using the formula.

http://www.framesdirect.com/return_policy.asp#3

3. Prescription Lens Return and Exchange Policy
    All prescription lenses are considered special orders, and are therefore non-refundable. However, we understand there may be times you want to change the frame even though the prescription lenses are perfect. If, within 30 days of receipt of product, you wish to exchange a frame that we have made prescription lenses for, you will be charged or credited the difference of the new frame cost. A lens credit of 50% of the original lens cost will be applied to the cost of any new lenses ordered. In addition, new shipping charges will incur.
    Hmmmmmm....a lower return rate than the average, perhaps because they don't accept returns?

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryChiling
    Check this out

When this new Doctors Lens Formula gets out we are all going to be out of a job. This Dr. Guy Hodgson is one smart cat, I wish I was that talented that not only can I get a measurement online, but it is more accurate than the opticians who actually measure.

This guy should be shot.:finger:
    So what is the formula? This "Doctor" and I use the term very loosly, must be smoking crack! I'm sure if he had his way he could come uo with a magic formula for patients to measure thier own K readings and veryify the fit of a contact lens! If this genious keeps up with his amazing formulas soon patients...sorry I mean customers will be doing their own refractions and the role of optometrist will be gone!!! Heck he already did away with the optician:hammer:

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by OPTIDONN
    customers will be doing their own refractions and the role of optometrist will be gone!!!
    1a. If you're nearsighted, lean in close to the monitor. When it is the clearest, measure the distance in metres. Type that number in here: 1/_______ = myopic sphere power

1b. If you're farsighted, pick up some reading glasses at the drugstore. Keep piling them onto your nose until you think you can see well enough to drive. Add up the powers of the lenses and enter it here: _______ = hyperopic sphere power

2. If there seem to be 2 distances it is the clearest, enter the one with the closest distance here: 1/__________ = cyl power

3. If the line below is blurry, rotate your head from shoulder to shoulder. Measure the angle it's the clearest and enter it here: _________ = cyl axis

4. If you can't read, please enter your age ________. Our scientific method is guaranteed to give you the correct add power*

*not a guarantee

Thread Information