Thread: polycarbonate v. high index lens

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    OptiBoard Novice

polycarbonate v. high index lens

hey guys, i was just wanting to seek some advice regarding my lens. i recently put in an order at pearlevision to have my glasses & lens made. my prescription is OD -8.75, OS -6.25. i am seeking the thinnest and lightest lens possible, and at pearlevision, they told me their "microthin plus" lens made from premium polycarbonate is their thinnest lens. however, i'm hearing from many sources that the high index lens is even thinner? is this true? when i confronted pearle vision about it, they told me they use "polycarbonate plus" which is thinner than high index, and that high index is only thinner than ORDINARY polycarbonate.

here is pearle vision's website on the microthin plus lens: http://www.pearlevision.com/webapp/w...&storeId=10001

any insight on which is thinner for my prescription? these "microthin plus" lens made from premium polycarbonate or the high index lens. thank you all in advance!

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    They are refering to aspheric polycarbonate lenses, but you can get high index lenses in a aspheric design as well. The high index in an aspheric design is going to be thinner than a polycarbonate.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Harry, you're only half right. If you're comparing an aspheric Poly with a 1.0 mm CT to a higher index (1.60, 1.67) that is only surfaced to a 1.5 mm CT, and the frame isn't huge, the poly will be thinner. Note that in the US, most 1.60 and 1.67 products require either a minimum CT of 1.5 - 1.8 to pass the impact resistance standards, or a "cushion coat" to enhance the impact resistance at lower thicknesses.

It is fairly easy to engineer real world situations where higher index does NOT equal thinner.
    RT

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    If you took an aspheric poly lens with a 1.00 CT and an aspheric 1.66 to a 1.70 high index with a 1.5 to 1.8 CT I feel pretty confident that the high index lenses will be thinner than the poly.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Also keep in mind that the higher the index the less curvature is needed. This will result in a thinner profile. Going by CT is not the most accurate way to judge a lenses overall thickness.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Due to index of refraction alone, 1.66 is 12% thinner than 1.586 (poly). 1.66/1.67 is available with a 1mm center thickness (finished).
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

OptiBoard Novice
    thank you all for your replies :)

so i called up costco..i was thinking about transferring my frames to fit the lenses there...they sell a 1.67 high index lens. will this be a thinner lens for my high prescription compared to this aspheric polycarbonate lens that pearle vision is offering me? i don't really have any information on the CT though...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Old Dead Thread of the Week:: Since it seems on here that a terribly old thread gets dug up every 2 weeks or so, and a mess of people comment on it before they realize the folly...

Admins, many forum software and groups will auto-lock a thread if its over a certain time without a reply. I don't know if that is possible with the software Optiboard uses, but it would held promote new discussions, and shorter threads that don't exist over the course of decades. It should be based on last comment, not when it was started. It would still be visible.

Some discussions simply need to die. What say ye?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpstick777 View Post
    Old Dead Thread of the Week:: Since it seems on here that a terribly old thread gets dug up every 2 weeks or so, and a mess of people comment on it before they realize the folly...
    This thread was dead for 8 years until you revived it, and now see what happened when you did that !!!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Consumer thread, consider it dead.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You should be going to a reliable doctor's office with a good optician and asking them these questions and probably ordering from them too. Costco? pearle? really? just my two cents. chains give too much pressure to employees to make that cash money.
    "what i need is a strong drink and a peer group." ... Douglas Adams - Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy

Thread Information