Thread: What's the different between Varilux & Essilor

Bad address email on file

What's the different between Varilux & Essilor

hi ,

What's the different between Varilux Comfort ,Panamic ,Ellipse,Liberty and Essilor Ovation,Natural??????What different between their design,is that the same????

Can anyone help me to answer?

Occupation
    Optometrist
    The company name is Essilor, they are a public company out of France. They market under varilux in the states but is the same company. As for comparison between PALs, I would suggest you call your rep, they will be more than happy to discuss these products with you...

Are you after just differences on their design, or on their overall purpose/usage as well?

Different Name?

Quote Originally Posted by 66Lenses
    Are you after just differences on their design, or on their overall purpose/usage as well?
    Actually what is the different between Vx.Panamic and Essilor Ovation , Vx.comfort and Essilor Natural? are they same design but diffrent name?

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Actually what is the different between Vx.Panamic and Essilor Ovation , Vx.comfort and Essilor Natural? are they same design but diffrent name?
    In my opinion and only opinion, I think they are the same lens except that the varilux is only surfaced by licensed distributors and the natural and ovation can be ordered as blanks by any lab. I will often tell my patients this when they say things like why does this cost so much less if the vision is the same? (when a patient orders a second pair , but does not want to pay top dollar)

I will usually tell them that you can expect a Varilux to always be made by a proffesional optician, and the natural and ovation you need to trust that your optician is a proffesional. This is funny, because sometimes they will look at me funny and thats where my joke comes in handy.

"I've got my fingers crossed too"

One time this joke didn't end up in a laugh and my boss had to come out and explain to the patient profusely how I was just joking.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

haha you really say that Harry?
    I might use that one oneday :)

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I don't think they are the same lenses. I have been told that the Natural has a 2 mm longer channel then the Comfort. I remember when the recommended fitting height for the Natural was 24 and it was 22 for the Comfort. Then it was lowered to 20 for the Natural and 18 for the Comfort. Now it is 18 for both

The Comfort was designed so that you can hold your head at a more natural position when reading.

Again, I think the Panamic and Ovation are different, though they are both good lenses.

Perhaps someone from Essilor can weigh in here.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    IF you do a search, Pete Hanlin, our resident Essilor representative has explained the differences in their designs.

Varilux brand is Lincoln

Essilor is the Mercury

Both very nice vehicles, though the Lincoln is known for its luxury and quality.

Cassandra
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Big Smile I think they are the same lens.........................

Quote Originally Posted by HarryChiling
    In my opinion and only opinion, I think they are the same lens except that the varilux is only surfaced by licensed distributors and the natural and ovation can be ordered as blanks by any lab.
    Thank you Harry, repackaging of the same product under different names has been practised in the optical as well as many other industries for various purposes............for the last hundred years.

A manufacturer that restricts his customer base to an exclusive circle, would loose out to mass distribution. Therefore you change the name of a product, put it into a different looking box and even sell it a lesser price and you can compete against yourself and others on the balance of the market.

But then you also have the opposite view as:

Quote Originally Posted by Happylady
    I don't think they are the same lenses.
    Happylady is one of the strongest believers, defenders and promoters of above mentioned brand names on this board.

But alas..................that is what manufacturers brainwash advertising is there for...........to swing as many customers into their direction as possible.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Happylady

Again, I think the Panamic and Ovation are different, though they are both good lenses.

I'm of the midset that they are quite different lenses being that I've worn both, with the same RX in the same frame with the same fitting values. I find the Panamic has a somewhat reduced peripheral blur zone than the Ovation which I would imagine would be far more pronounced with a higher add power than what I wear. I also find the blur encroaches more into the distance zone in the Ovation than with the Panamic. Further, I find the Ovation's near zone to be larger than that in the Panamic (fitted at 19mm for both) lending credence to the suggested minimum fitting height being lower for the Ovation.

I use the Ovation far more than the Panamic mainly due to the potential for a lesser fitting height with it. It is a great lens, and is more attractively priced than the Ellipse which is more costly but can be fit even lower. My co-worker extolls the virtues of his Ellipse on a daily basis, thus encouraging many clients to spring the extra coin for it.

Professional Rabble-Rouser hipoptical's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    To me-
    no real differences to speak of. They are both over-marketed brands with decent designs of lenses. Make it easy on yourself and use something that doesn't have a "hype" price tag. Someone used cars as an example...
    Lincoln and Mercury are good cars. The Hyundai has a 10 YEAR/ 100,000 MILE warranty. When was the last time you looked at Hyundai? (Pretty nice...)
    Same thing with lenses. Lower price doesn't mean lower quality. Higher price certainly does not mean better quality in the case of lenses.

Thread Information