Thread: What is your favorite PAL for golfers?

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

What is your favorite PAL for golfers?

Hi all.

I often feel the difficult to determine PALs design for golfers.

As you know well, if they wear PALs when play the golf, they experience some problems such as putting shot, intermidate blur, and peripheral distortion.

I think the best PAL design for golfers has adequate distance zone, wide intermidiate zone(also longer corridor), and small near zone.

Unfortunately, I can't found these PAL design in my PALs list.

My PALs list are as below.

Varilux: Adaptor, Comfort, Panamic, Ellipse
    Nikon: Presio i, Classic
    Hoya: GP, GP Wide, Summit Pro, Summit CD
    Zeiss: Gradal HS, Gradal Top

What is your favorite PAL for golfers?

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I would figure that the intermediate would not matter. What you want is as much distance as possible. I would think using an older lens like a Super No Line with a lower fit.

However, you want the best option. A pair of glasses with a round seg in one lens. The seg is pushed towards the temple side. This allows the golfer to have an almost single vision pair, and then to just turn his or her head to mark the score card.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper There is not one top class golfer in the world.........

There is not one top class golfer in the world who wears a progressive lens for the game.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I use either distance only lenses or a round seg set very low.

Bad address email on file k12311997's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    as stated above no progressive for a serious golfer. If they just want one pair of glasses then their game will suffer.

Occupation

Thumbs up as stated above no progressive for a serious golfer.

Quote Originally Posted by k12311997
    as stated above no progressive for a serious golfer. If they just want one pair of glasses then their game will suffer.
    As HappyLady says give the a Kryptok (round seg) lens. Place the reading segment either in the upper right or upper left corner depending on the preference of the patient.

When golfing they have no obstruction at the bottom of the lens and can T off without a problem. When marking the score they wil bend the head downwards to the left or right wherever the reading segs are and have a clear reading field..............without having an obstructed distance vision.

Another way of selling an extra pair of golfing glasses for the elderly golfer who very often have some surplus money.

:cheers:

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser
    Another way of selling an extra pair of golfing glasses for the elderly golfer who very often have some surplus money.

:cheers:
    but never want to spend it

Bad address email on file
    Occupation

Golfing Eyeglasses

Paul Boyko Jr. optician and owner of Visions of Canada has developed
    golfing eyeglasses that use lenses ground by Carl Zeiss labs in Toronto, Ontario Canada.

Check out www.visionforegolfing.com for all the details...we even show you how we make the eyeglasses.

These glasses really work. I own a pair and they are so comfortable
    that I forget I have them on...and they make great night driving glasses.

Paul Rousseau
    Director, Training and Development
    Vision Fore Golfing
    paul.rousseau@visionforegolfing.com

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Impression Sport

I will have to call Zeiss, Rodenstock just showed me a demo of a "sport" lens. The theory was a prog designed for wraps, clip-on or standard and a significant reduction of perf distortion. The rep showed me 2 pairs of wrap frames

1. with a life 2 Plano +2.00add @18mm
    2. Sport plano +2.00 @18mm

The sport had the add droped to 1.39, logical to reduce distortion and all kinds of distance adjustments (prism,power,pds).
    I am plano dist (NO ADD YET) but I saw a huge improvement, I COULD WEAR THESE AND PLAY GOLF.

ps. Is it just me or does it seem that Zeiss and Rodenstock seem to launch the same ideas at around the same times ???

Bad address email on file Tigger61's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wink PGA tour alpharetta ga

I had fit several golfers with the AOB active and they loved it. They also come polorized. I even had several tennis players. I did drop seg by 2 mms

How bout give Vx.Pan....

How about we give the golfer with Vx.Panamic, SolaOne,and Rodenstock Multigressive 2?

Bad address email on file mhboptics's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I agree, PAL's for golfers can be troublesome. If I had to fit one, I would try the Varilux Liberty. This has a large distance, small intermediate, and nice size reading. I play alot of golf, and as mentioned before, if the golfer is a serious player, he/she should consider other alternatives.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I work for ELOA and have had a few accounts successfully dispense the Definity Short to their golf patients and with the Ground View Advantage and Polarized availability have found it to work very well.
    Todd Stickler, ABOC

Occupation
    I would also suggest the Liberty, fit low.

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I'll second sticklert on this one.....

Quote Originally Posted by sticklert
    I work for ELOA and have had a few accounts successfully dispense the Definity Short to their golf patients and with the Ground View Advantage and Polarized availability have found it to work very well.
    I'll second sticklert on this one and perhaps go one better. I am an avid golfer and I love my Definity's for golf.They are NOT the "short" but the full monty, fit at normal fitting height. The "ground view" advantage is a very real advantage. Of course I used to golf in my Comforts too but I was always aware of the "swim" effect when teeing off. The advantage to that was that it kept head movement to a minimum. The Definity is the best all purpose lens I have come across.
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Occupation

Big Smile The "ground view" advantage is a very real advantage

Quote Originally Posted by hcjilson
    The "ground view" advantage is a very real advantage. Of course I used to golf in my Comforts too but I was always aware of the "swim" effect when teeing off.
    Now suddenly the light has come................when I have coffee and breakfaest on my patio on the golf course (in Florida winter time) just in front of the 3rd T off I was always wondering why somme golfers shake their heads and hick up before they hit the ball.

Now I can safely assume that they free their tensed vision not to look through the distorted part of their progressives but try to focus on the slighly blurred ball through their reading part.

:D :bbg: :D :bbg:

Occupation

The art and science of making golfing eyeglasses

I read with interest the responses to my post about Vision Fore Golfing's success in making effective eyeglasses for presbyopic golfers and it strikes me that the solutions offered are piecemeal at best. Its not about tinkering with seg heights or choosing a particular off the shelf lens design. Making golfing eyeglasses for presbyopic golfers is a challenge, and one that is being met every day in Windsor, Ontario.

The Vision Fore Golfing Company believes that every pair of eyeglasses has a destination, and we have targeted presbyopic golfers as one of our destinations. Paul Boyko Jr. invested over 5 years developing this product and his now selling Vision Fore Golfing eyeglasses on a regular basis, generating 50 grand in sales of that product in his first quarter. The market is telling us that there is value in this product that, retails around 900.00 dollars. We are currently selling on average 3 pairs a week. About 80% of the orders include transitions, which add about 100 dollars to the price.

Making eyeglasses for presbyopic golfers is both an art and a science. The most important piece is to have control over the four critical aspects of making quality eyeglasses: refraction, fitting, access to a wide range of quality lenses and frames, and manufacturing. Making golfing eyeglasses for presbyopes demands control over all four of these parts of the process.

Paul Boyko Jr has perfected the process of making golfing eyeglasses. He is skilled in science of refraction, takes the time to do meticulous measurements, has lens4e ground in the manufacture’s laboratory and guarantees the results. Some of his satisfied customers claim to have taken 5 to 7 strokes off their game because of improved vision,

Paul Boyko Jr. is in the process of finding other eye doctors who are skilled in expert refraction and fitting, to help him bring his Vision Fore Golfing eyeglasses to the North American Market. If you are interested in the business of supplying the presbyopic golfer market with quality solutions, check out www.visionsforgolfing.com.

Golfers who are now wearing Vision F ore Golfing eyeglasses are very happy with their purchase and many report that their game has improved. I believe you will start seeing golf pros wearing progressive lenses in the near future.

Paul Rousseau
    Director, Training and Certification
    Vision Fore Golfing
    Paul.Rousseau@visionforegolfing.com

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Any thoughts on Polarized lenses. I had a few discussions about this and the general feeling was that polarization in golf prevented the wearer from picking up the undulation subtleties (which are critical to the short game) and was not a recommended feature. I am curious to see if any serious golfers in the group agree with this statement.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by francisOD
    Any thoughts on Polarized lenses. I had a few discussions about this and the general feeling was that polarization in golf prevented the wearer from picking up the undulation subtleties (which are critical to the short game) and was not a recommended feature. I am curious to see if any serious golfers in the group agree with this statement.
    I have heard both sides. I have worn both sides (though I am in no way a pro golfer. Maybe five times a year).

To me, polarized brown is the only way to go.

Bad address email on file Tigger61's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

We shall call it a difference of options

"success in making effective eyeglasses for presbyopic golfers and it strikes me that the solutions offered are piecemeal at best."
    I actually fit pro golfers, As I mention in my earlier post and they did great and told other and I had several follow in for that reason. AO-B Active was designed with golfer and Tennis players in mind. They were the best in there day. I don't believe my work was a "piecemeal" Some fit seg's dead center some drop by 2 that's not playing with seg. I would never down someone. We shall call it a difference of options. I am open to change and would try your golfer lens.

Occupation

We shall call it a difference of options

I apologies for hinting that I find anyone's work piecemeal. What I meant was that the responses, on this forum, to helping presbyopic golfers see better seemed to me to be hit and miss, or non-systematic. I am sure that you are committed to helping people see better and believe in quality work.

As well, I said “piecemeal” in contrast to what we have discovered at Vision Fore Golfing; that to make a perfect pair of golfing eyeglasses takes a comprehensive and systematic approach. It’s not just choosing a specific lens, or dropping segs. It’s a combination of getting and expert eye exam, collecting certain kinds of information, choosing a lens that fits the vision goals and the script, to work directly with whoever grinds the lenses to make sure that all meets all requirement, and to control as much of the process as possible, including cutting, and drilling the lens (we use rimless design). A seemingly small step like drilling can make a world of difference for the end results.

Our website fully describes the process that we use…called the 10 step process that is accessible on the front page of www.visionforegolfing.com.

I am pleased that you are open to learn more about these golfing eyeglasses.

Thread Information