Thread: Dealing with Scratched lenses

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Dealing with Scratched lenses

I recently had some customers bring in some scratched lenses and left frustrated that with all the tecnological advances, our store was unable to provide any solution on how to get rid of scratches.

I tried researching and there is one product that came out which is sort of like a nail polish applied over the lens to cover up scratches. However, reviews were not exacty good as one review mentioned about dirt adhering to the lenses which dried up together with the applied solution.

Any ideas what can be done about them? And since we are on the topic, we might as well include the repair of mirror-coated sunglasses lens as well. Thanks in advance.

Bad address email on file Alteaon's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I know that there was one product out there called "Liquid Lens", it was an "as seen on tv" thing.

We bought it out of curiosity, knowing that patients were going to ask about it. It came in two parts. One was a "preparing solution", that basically just cleaned the lens. THe other part was the clear nail polish type substance...

It didn't work well at all. For one, it was streaky from the application. We tried it on some old blanks that we had scratched up. Not only was it streaky, but it didn't help with scratches at all.

One patient said that Turtle wax works, but I haven't been brave enough to try that one out.

Alt

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Wax will temporarily fill scratches but will yellow and wear out in a week or two.

Only two solutions: Replace lenses, re-surface (which labs appearently no longer do) lenses.
    Now that all glass is tempered process is not worth the trouble. Once plastic becomes thin after intitial surfaceing, it appearently cannot stand the stress of re-blocking without aberration from warpage in the blocking process.

Chip

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Yes, my research also led me to Liquid lens, which as you reinforced, didn't work as well as advertised.
    My lab no longer does resurfacing because due to the work involved, the charges normally amount to 70-90% of the cost for a new pair, so they have advised against it. The other disdvantage is the risk of damage and warping.

I haven't tried turtle wax but I did try some cleaning and repairing kit used to repair scratched CDs and DVDs but the scratches were still visible.

It seem really a waste that nothing can be done on an otherwise still very useful piece of glass or polycarb.

On the Sunset Tour! Framebender's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

We tried Liquid Lens too. . .

with basically the same results. I always hate giving those guys my $19.95 plus shipping, but I know one of my clients will!

Paste wax, Lemon Pledge, a white grease pencil anything with wax will basically fill in the hair lines until you clean the lens. It does seem like a waste doesn't it?!?

Unfortunately we live in a disposable society!!
    Days where my gratitude exceed my expectations are very good days!

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Redhot Jumper Lens Renu.......................

Quote Originally Posted by Alteaon
    I know that there was one product out there called "Liquid Lens", it was an "as seen on tv" thing.

We bought it out of curiosity, knowing that patients were going to ask about it. It came in two parts. One was a "preparing solution", that basically just cleaned the lens. THe other part was the clear nail polish type substance...
    I came up with a product for that purpose...................it will not fill the deep scratches but will make them invisible and it provides a new gloss to grey lenses.

This has been around for years......works fairly good....but has never been a moneymaker.

You can read upa ll about it on my website at http://optochemicals.com go on the main page and scroll down to "RENU" and click the link for all the details.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Hi Chris, I could not find the link to RENU in the website provided. Just another quick question. Would retinting and mirror coating a polycarb sunglasses lens help to even out the scratches? Thanks.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Cost of virgin polycarb lens is low, mirror coat, tinting etc. are not. Scratches might be accentuated. Buy a new lens.

Occupation

Blue Jumper I could not find the link ......................

Quote Originally Posted by striker22
    Hi Chris, I could not find the link to RENU in the website provided.

Would retinting and mirror coating a polycarb sunglasses lens help to even out the scratches? Thanks.
    Sorry about that................to my own shame I had to discover that that page does not exist. No wonder I am not selling much of that stuff. I will make one up over next weekend.

Nothing will remove scratches..............just make them less visible. You are better off to sell new lenses.

Bad address email on file k12311997's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

What ever happened to taking care of your glasses??

For as many patients that I see with scratched lenses within a year or two I also see patients who's glasses are 3 or more years old without a scratch. The problem isn't the lack of product to remove scratches the problem is the lack of a product to follow patients around and keep them from using windex and sandpaper to clean their glasses.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Anyone else used to correct factory scratches by hand with polish and a polishing pad?

You had to be careful not to leave the power wavy.
    Optical technicians in Britain.

http://www.optiglaze.co.uk/forum/

On the Sunset Tour! Framebender's Avatar
    Occupation

I remember. . .

using a rubber ball on glass lenses. Does that count?!?:D
    Days where my gratitude exceed my expectations are very good days!

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Wink

A temporary solution in an emergency, is simply A paste wax for wood floors. It (as nothing will) remove scrathes, but just apply a thin film, let it dry, then buff with a soft cotton cloth or a cleaning cloth. Lemon Pledge works well too. Do NOT wax a lens with a Gold AR. For some reason, it turns red

Thep
    Last edited by thep; 05-30-2006 at 09:44 PM. Reason: didn't sign and spelling

Occupation
    "If it's not on your face, it goes in the case." Either that or make sure you order your next lenses with a 2 yr/2 side scratch coating.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper Igard lenses...........................

A little bit of history:

The first plastic lenses I hace seen were the british made igard lenses in the 1950's. These lenses were so soft that they scratched all the time. We sold them to the high minus and plus corrections.

The poor people wearing them came back every few weeks for repolishing which was done with an abrasive liquid supplied by Igard and a cotton swab. All rubbing of course would make the lens wavy after a while but nobody cared until the lens had to be replaced and there was NO warranties.................the customer had to pay.

Thread Information