Thread: Master Opticians

Bad address email on file Alteaon's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Master Opticians

How many Master opticians are there? I doubt there are any real concrete numbers, but I'm curious as to how many people are working towards it or have achieved it. I will be sitting for my advanaced abo test in November, but certainly don't want to stop there.

My husband is working towards a certification in his field that only a few tens of thousands of people have world wide....

Sorry for starting another thread so soon, but I couldn't find my answer, and believe me, I looked :D ..

I figure someone around here has to have some idea?

THanks!

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Why do you need a certificate to be a master?? The paper only shows that you know what someone wants you to know, a lot of us know that plus a whole lot more and have never taken a written test or written a scholarly paper.

Master OptiBoarder Darryl Meister's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    How many Master opticians are there? I doubt there are any real concrete numbers, but I'm curious as to how many people are working towards it or have achieved it.
    I know that as of 1994 there were only around 300 ABO Master Opticians.

The paper only shows that you know what someone wants you to know, a lot of us know that plus a whole lot more and have never taken a written test or written a scholarly paper.
    This statement seems rather odd coming from a guy with two "Masters" degrees that both required a heck of a lot of tests and papers. ;)
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Darryl Meister
    I know that as of 1994 there were only around 300 ABO Master Opticians.

This statement seems rather odd coming from a guy with two "Masters" degrees that both required a heck of a lot of tests and papers. ;)
    I was refering to Master Optician. Most of us Old Timers had to learn by doing and experimenting, years before there were certificates and had to earn the respect of our peers to be considered Masters.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I agree Jacqui but I think that advanced and master certifications are great! Not only for the personal satisfaction from achieving a distinguished title but it also gives peer recognition. There have been many, many people in the optical field who, through thier actions and knowledge, have been able to make a reputation for themselves. Simple name recognition was all they needed they had no use for certifications. But how do you gauge what a person knows? Just because a person has been in the field for a long time does not mean they know what they are talking about. On the other hand we have all known certified opticians who were no smarter than a rock! But when I see ABOM after someones name I assume that they have a certain degree of technical knowledge. I may not assume that they are an optical genius but I do know that they have a very, very good understanding of the optical field. Thats why I'm getting mine.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Masters

While Jacqui is correct in the assertion that in the "old days" you had to learn optics before there was an organization like the ABO, those days are loooong gone. Before Henry Ford there were horses and buggies. We need to encourage Opticians of today to advance any way possible, and the Master's Certificate is the top of the heap. Apprenticeship is outdated for several reasons.
    1. Optical science has provided us with far more to learn that in the "good-old-days". While I have tremendous respect for those excellent Opticians, they are largely gone.
    2. Most Apprenticeship is not a true training program, but cheap labor.
    3. Apprenticeses larrgely learn on their own, which is a poor way to train any professional.

For Opticians to advance out of the dark ages, an education is required. Then and only then will we move forward. While this certificate is not a degree, it is all we have, and I hope you move ahead. I did it in 1976, and am proud of the accomplishment. It is a sign of advanced knowledge, and you will be glad you did it.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Abom

I had a large number of opticians question why I would go to such lengths a number of years ago to work toward my ABO Master's certification. I owned my practice, and one question was "What are you going to do....pay yourself more money?" I answered then and still believe it today that I owed it to my patients to achieve higher levels of skill and knowledge, and quite frankly, the certification (paper) demonstrates that, no matter what we say. You see, it's not just about the money.

On the other hand, I also believe that having that knowledge and not being able to convey it in a practical manner to my patients is of no value, so I believe in being able to communicate with my patients and finding out their needs and then appling this humble head knowledge in a way that benefits them.

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    I was refering to Master Optician. Most of us Old Timers had to learn by doing and experimenting, years before there were certificates and had to earn the respect of our peers to be considered Masters.
    You're referring to a term used to describe someone who has reached a certain level of practical competence, not to someone who has achieved a certain trade designation. Your peers may have thought of you as a "master" of your craft, but it is unlikely that that they conferred the title of "Master" on you. Afterall, without some standard in place, the title would be meaningless.

A certified "Master Optician" is a trade designation that you have to earn by demonstrating competency against the agreed upon standards of your trade -- just as you would as a certified "Master Plumber," an ASE certified "Master Mechanic," an IFPO certified "Master Photographer," and so on. And keep in mind that the ABO certification has been around for decades, so even old-timers have had plenty of time to earn that sheet of paper. ;)

Sure, practical skills and dexterity in the art of frame adjustments are essential, and these skills are generally honed over time. However, equally important is the didactic knowledge of optics, lenses, and the visual system, which is why we take those tests and write those papers. And I would argue that careers involving didactic training and education will generally have much greater earning and advancement potential than those without.
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    And, honestly, I'm probably over-emphasizing the degree of didactic knowledge required for the ABO certifications. Many of the questions required mainly practical problem-solving abilities.
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Bad address email on file Alteaon's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thank you all for responding.

I understand that even when I do get my ABOM, that there will still be so much I can learn. I also understand that there are people who have not decided to persue this designation who know more than I will when I do have it. To some, it may be just a piece of paper. It is a personal goal of mine, no matter who chooses to recognize it or not. I do not see it as the end, I see it as a turn in the road. As I learn more to study for my test, ect. I see what I do not know, which allows me to learn more.

There aren't too many ABOC opticians in my town. When patients ask me about it, I think they are happy that I am an "optical nerd" and want to do the best I can. Sure, we know in the optical community that a designation/certification may not equal the knowledge, but not all patients are going to think of it that way.

Thank you again.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Alteon,

I believe that what you will find is that a high number of those who have persued their Master's certification feel that it isn't the end of the road, and continue to search for more and more knowledge. It continues to make our profession more and more exciting.

Technology is changing at such a tremendous rate, that we have to work hard just to stay even, and work even harder to continue to grow.

Just my thoughts and good luck to you in your quest.

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper

Great Thread!
    I beleive the idea of the ABO Master is great, but until it really means something coast to coast, I will not support it. Education is important in any field, where the documents exhibit our efforts, but unless it actually impacts our employers, patients, (other), I see this as self gratification (this is good too!).
    Thanks, but have enough "papers".

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleD
    Great Thread!
    I beleive the idea of the ABO Master is great, but until it really means something coast to coast, I will not support it. Education is important in any field, where the documents exhibit our efforts, but unless it actually impacts our employers, patients, (other), I see this as self gratification (this is good too!).
    How will it ever "mean something coast to coast" if members of our own profession won't support it from the begining? Is it really that important to be the last one out there? Unless of course, you're a member of the International Flat Earth Sociery, then pardon the interruption.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Judy,

Excuse me for sounding totally unsupportive.
    After 35 years in the Optical business, along with most of 30 years completing night coursework in several colleges (even became college instructor for Optical Technology), I have accumalated numerous certifications, degrees, etc.
    I have long pushed for national certification, and would still like to see this. The reality is US businesses overall fear this idea. I totally disagree with that logic, seeing so much more value to be offered, but have given up the fight. I have now semi-retired to dispensing, in a state which the only certification/training is required of Doctors.
    As far as higher level certification, I just don't see this as a major of a cause as required certification at the basic level.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleD
    Great Thread!
    How is it not recognized from coast to coast? Are there states that don't recognize the master certification? Keep in mind it's not the paper thats important but what it means that is. Every one who has earned the ABOM have studied very hard and have earned it through thier knowledge and hard work they didn't just coast through to get that paper.

On the Sunset Tour! Framebender's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Its not recognized in Colorado.

It just got to the point a few years ago, where they recognize base certification to be able to call yourself an Optician. Of course there is no enforcement. I do encourage everyone to become better educated. We pay for the test and have a decent library to help our employees. They also recieve educational bonuses at the end of the year for course work completed.
    Days where my gratitude exceed my expectations are very good days!

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    I beleive the idea of the ABO Master is great, but until it really means something coast to coast, I will not support it... I have long pushed for national certification, and would still like to see this.
    ? Keep in mind that 1) The ABO Master certification means exactly the same thing in any state, and 2) The ABO is the national certification, and has been for close to three decades.

After 35 years in the Optical business, along with most of 30 years completing night coursework in several colleges (even became college instructor for Optical Technology),
    Again, I find it odd to hear of opticians who spend years and years in college but shun the notion of studying a book or two, taking a two-hour exam, and writing a relatively short paper in their own field. A single course at a university requires every bit as much effort, and often more. And you have to take at least 40 to get a Bachelor's!

The original Master's exam wasn't that difficult if you actually put a little effort into preparing for it. And the new exam is apparently easier, with a play-by-play study guide available.
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

OptiBoard Professional Mike Fretto's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Darryl

What is the study guide you mention and where can I get one. I have been interested in the Master program for a while and just never looked into it. I think for no other reason then assuring our patients that we take our job seriously in a time when most are concerned about simply a paycheck, we owe it to them.
    Mike

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    What is the study guide you mention and where can I get one.
    NAO's Advanced Certification study guide

And I would be happy to provide you with pointers on writing your paper.
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Diane
    I answered then and still believe it today that I owed it to my patients to achieve higher levels of skill and knowledge, and quite frankly, the certification (paper) demonstrates that, no matter what we say.
    Thanks for the kick in the A$$. I have been thinking about my ABO-AC for years. Reading this statement was the kick that I've needed. I am on the phone with NAO to order the book then on to ABO/NCLE to pay for the test thanks again.
    Paul:cheers:

Occupation
    Optometrist

British Optician

I think the Masters idea is really good. I have met plenty of opticians who seem to view there job as just good money. I think we have a duty to our patients to be the best we can be.
    As far as experience is concerned I knew one optician who attended every semina, had CET points coming out of there ears and years of experience. I think he would have regarded himself as a 'master'. After working with him though he didn't seem to be able to use a slit lamp properly, would test people within 5-10 minutes and make some decisions which, were close to Proffesional negligence - and this wasn't only my opinion. It was almost as if his experience made him untouchable.

OptiBoard Professional Mike Fretto's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Confused Question

So how does this work if your licensed in NC but havent taken the ABO test do you have to be ABO licensed before you can take the master certification?
    Mike

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    That's a good question. I'm sure if you pressed the ABO about it, they would consider accepting the NC written and practical exams in lieu of the basic NOCE exam.
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    That's a good question. I'm sure if you pressed the ABO about it, they would consider accepting the NC written and practical exams in lieu of the basic NOCE exam.
    If that doesn't work ask if they can waive the time requirement and then sit for the abo then the next testing date sit for the advanced. I think like Darryls getting at if you offer them choices and be a little persuasive they can be very flexable.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Occupation
    To shed some light on the original question, when I was conferred an ABOM (nearly 2 years ago) I was told I was number 351. Today, I would venture that the number is still under 400. I have forgotten the number of ABOC at the time but the math equated to being an ABOM is in the top .1% of all certified opticians. That is one hell of a statement to tell your friends, peers and mostly your patients. Mine were completely blown away that they were working with the top of the cream. I urge all of us to continue to pursue the highest levels of recognition and education that we can. Our patients will be the ones to benefit the most from it.
    Lee Prewitt, ABOM
    Independent Sales Representative
    AIT Industries
    224 W. James St.
    Bensenville, IL 60106
    Cell : (425) 241-1689
    Phone: (800) 729-1959, Ext 137
    Direct: (630) 274-6136
    Fax: (630) 595-1006
    www.aitindustries.com
    leep@aitindustries.com

More Than A Patternless Edger Company