Thread: ABO-AC Study books

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

ABO-AC Study books

I am eligable to take the ABO-AC test in a little over a year and want to make sure I am over prepared. I have a whole heck of alot of optical books but would like some input on which ones I should focus on. Any sugestions on books that any of you have found helpful please share.:D

Master OptiBoarder Darryl Meister's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    I think Harry and FAZ just took it, so they would have a better idea as to the breadth of the questions, but my impression is that there is much less emphasis on optical and dispensing questions. (And I'll spare you my rant on that subject.)

As for the original Master in Ophthalmic Optics exam, Brooks and Borish's System for Ophthalmic Dispensing, 2nd Ed really presents 85 to 90% of the material covered. Fannin and Grosvenor's Clinical Optics, 3rd Ed would nail the remaining 10 to 15%.
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Donn,

The guy sitting next to me had the ACE book and though it was spiral bound wich is usually the sign of a cheap book. Just thumbing through it revealed a diamond in the rough. It covered alot of what was on the test. Just a quick assesment, I only had about 1/2 hour to thumb through it. I think it would be worth the price if it was a hard back, however if you can get someone that belongs to the NAO to purchase it for you then you can save considerably. I used the old study material from the NAO wich was lacking. I did like the management book from Clark Appler, but I like the guy he has a good reputation around the Baltimore area, and it's well deserved. He also is a very shrewd business man so if you need a firm grasp on the business side this book was great. The optical formulas tutorial book that is recommended was a joke, it was just a book of equations without much in the form of explanations. Don't get me wrong it makes for a great reference book for the shop, but it leaves a fast food taste in your mouth. The ophthalmic dictionary by NAO is great this is a handy reference and gets used by me all the time, again great reference book for the shop and when you are writing, I would consider it indespensable.

Oh and definately know your prisms, and ocular anatomy. I would venture to say it was 30% optics (equations and interpreting prescriptions), 40% business, 30% anatomy and prescreening.

I was a little befuddled when everyone on the boar was saying that they have dumbed it down, and when I took it the first time I missed by only a few points. This time around I realized why everyone is saying it is easy and some are saying it is hard. The equations only need to be worked out part of the way before it becomes obvious which answers are correct. The first time around I was working the equations out all the way and using all acurate equations, this time around I think I smoked the test and it would be due to the fact that most of the problems that required some calculations were easy to pick the 2 most wrong answers and the correct answer sometimes was easily guessed by using aproximate equations, that lead to me finishing the entire test in time this go around.
    Last edited by HarryChiling; 05-24-2006 at 08:04 PM.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Occupation
    Yeah I have the Advanced Study Guide book from the NAO. I like how it's set up and its very easy to understand and gets right to the point. My only complaint is that I spent around $150 for a cheaply made book that won't last as long as my other books:hammer: . I was slightly dissapointed with the optical formulas tutorial. It gave all the information on how to use the formula but not why and when. I agree with Harry that the book is a must have for any one who is considering this as a carreer but I just wish there was a book that focused more on why than how or at least equal amounts of both.

These are good sugestions! Thanks guys!

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Both the ABO and NCLE have a list of recommended study materials. Get the tape/workbook combo set, makes it easy and covers everything. Worth the money.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by optigrrl
    Both the ABO and NCLE have a list of recommended study materials. Get the tape/workbook combo set, makes it easy and covers everything. Worth the money.
    Yeah I have those but they are very basic. I don't know how much they would help with the advanced test.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Oops! I should actually READ the post instead of glance at it! You're right, I used them for the basic test. Sorry!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

ACE book

It took a while to get the information for the book together, and once, all feel that it needs no revisions and has no errors, it will probably be bound differently.

However, Bill, Mike and I would like to say thanks to those of you who feel that it is truly beneficial in your studies for advance placement.

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Is the NAO-AC review book the same as the NAO Masters Review Book that I purchased in 1994-1995(1994 copyright)? And if it is not, is the AC review book much more involved? My thoughts are that maybe my $$$ would be better spent buying a good Managment for Opticians book? I have System for Ophthalmic Dispensing(Brooks, Borish), and Ophthalmic Dispensing(Stimson) so I think the optical theory and dispensing should be covered by these two books thoroughly.

Masters Review Book Chapters
    1. Analysis and Interpretation of Prescription
    2. Fitting and Dispensing Spectacles and Accessories
    3. Utilization of geometric and Applied Optics
    4. Professional and Ethical Conduct

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Fezz
    :cheers:

Occupation
    The ABO-AC study book put out by the NAO is very different than the Masters Review. If you are going to take the Advanced test the review book would be worth it. Each page has a small amount of information (just enough to digest) and is not too comprehensive. For study and review its great! But if you really want to learn indepth optics, anatomy etc. you may be dissapointed.
    Last edited by OPTIDONN; 06-17-2006 at 09:58 PM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Anybody else have any info??????
    Is this the same book or not?

What gives..somebody help an optician out...

Fezz

Occupation
    The Masters Exam book put out by the NAO is not the same as the ACE Advanced Certification Exam study guide that we have been talking about. You can get the Masters Exam Review book from the NAO for around $10.00 and for that price its worth it (if they still have it). The ACE Advanced Study Guide is HUGE! It's gotta be around 5 inches thick! However theres only about a small paragraph or so on each page. That makes it very easy to digest the info in small doses. But the ACE book is really only good for review and as a guideline for what to study. You would still need other books to learn the details.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks Optidonn!

Fezz

OptiBoard Novice

Thanks!

I too am wanting to take the AC next year. This post was very helpful to me and I just wanted to say thanks!
    If anyone has the ACE book that they want to part with I would love to purchase it as I am not a NAO member and parting with $150 for the book will hurt!
    TIA!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Join

Quote Originally Posted by j_platinumplus
    I too am wanting to take the AC next year. This post was very helpful to me and I just wanted to say thanks!
    If anyone has the ACE book that they want to part with I would love to purchase it as I am not a NAO member and parting with $150 for the book will hurt!
    TIA!
    Join NAO and get it for the member rate.

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Thread Information