Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wal-Mart Optical?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill West
    Seem's I'm always reading that ex employees of Wally World and LC have been so mistreated and they whine and cry. Some go to the "private sector", DOCTORS, who are well known in most cases to under pay opticians. Some say "I would rather work for less and look better to my peers", DUH. If most of you were half the optician that you think you are you could build a good following anywhere and be well paid. I could open in a phone booth and work 2 days a week and do better than most of you whinners. This business is digressing into a bunch of immature cry babies. Grow up, shut up and work wherever you are getting paid. If you feel you are worth more go get it, it's out there. These companies did not get where they are being run by a bunch of sobbing idiots.
    WOW!!!!!! Tell us how you really feel BIll.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill West
    Seem's I'm always reading that ex employees of Wally World and LC have been so mistreated and they whine and cry. Some go to the "private sector", DOCTORS, who are well known in most cases to under pay opticians. Some say "I would rather work for less and look better to my peers", DUH. If most of you were half the optician that you think you are you could build a good following anywhere and be well paid. I could open in a phone booth and work 2 days a week and do better than most of you whinners. This business is digressing into a bunch of immature cry babies. Grow up, shut up and work wherever you are getting paid. If you feel you are worth more go get it, it's out there. These companies did not get where they are being run by a bunch of sobbing idiots.

WOW! No wonder this board loses people left and right. I don't think anyone is whinning but merely stating some facts or what they have heard. :hammer:

Rising Star
    Maybe they should be listening to what is being said about their way of doing business! If I just bought a new pair of glasses for over $300 and their employee delivered me a pair of glasses that were defective as a business owner I would want to know!!

In the beginning when Sam Walton started his business, the sign read CUSTOMER SATISFACTION GUARANTEED! What happened?

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester
    FYI-
    I beleive most chains monitor this site to see what you're saying.
    :)

Occupation
    Optometrist
    There are opticians out there making very good money working for doctors...in Canada anyways. Most doctors want the best for the patient and as such do not restrict on suppliers, redo's etc, if a frame fits well on a patient but the color is off, we bring in the extra frame with the other color...little details that some box store do not get. But our prices have to be fair to compete and we are not in a position to overpay employees because of this. To work in a type of atmosphere offered in a doctor's office makes daily life less stressful because of previously made statements and most of us deal with premium labs so problems mentionned on other post in this thread are rare but this makes our practice less profitable. If we were operating at a COGS of 22% like some big boxes we would not be having this discussion. At 22% COGS, I could pay all my staff much better. But my COGS is higher by design. I believe the patient gets a better product at the end of it. And in the long run, that is why doctors have very loyal patients both medically and retail wise.

Rising Star
    Just a comment. Premium products demand a higher price. I set my retail price for these products to include a better than average wage for my hired optiicians.

Motivation is a word than I use to get them to sell better product and I reward them nicely for their efforts. I as a business owner in the end make a nice profit.
    :)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by francisOD
    There are opticians out there making very good money working for doctors...in Canada anyways. Most doctors want the best for the patient and as such do not restrict on suppliers, redo's etc, if a frame fits well on a patient but the color is off, we bring in the extra frame with the other color...little details that some box store do not get. But our prices have to be fair to compete and we are not in a position to overpay employees because of this. To work in a type of atmosphere offered in a doctor's office makes daily life less stressful because of previously made statements and most of us deal with premium labs so problems mentionned on other post in this thread are rare but this makes our practice less profitable. If we were operating at a COGS of 22% like some big boxes we would not be having this discussion. At 22% COGS, I could pay all my staff much better. But my COGS is higher by design. I believe the patient gets a better product at the end of it. And in the long run, that is why doctors have very loyal patients both medically and retail wise.

In Canada that might be. But here in the states most Dr's are cheap and refuse to pay, at least in Western N.Y. area no more than 16.00 tops. I once saw a sign hanging in an MD's office it read: " Looking for licensed optician will
    pay 13.50 per" I called and the guy was extremely put out because he asked what I would ask for, that was end of story and having gone on a few of these job hunting experiences I have found for the most part OD's and MD's
    don't pay very well. Just my 2cents;)

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    HTML Code:
    Some say "I would rather work for less and look better to my peers", DUH. If most of you were half the optician that you think you are you could build a good following anywhere and be well paid.

Bill - I thought that I was reading the complaints to also mention quality of product, that some of these so-called "whiney" opticians were embarassed to stiff the public with sub-par product for the money they charged.

That's not to say that there are jobs out there (few and far between) that are the best of both worlds - like my job. :cheers:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optigrrl
    HTML Code:
    Some say "I would rather work for less and look better to my peers", DUH. If most of you were half the optician that you think you are you could build a good following anywhere and be well paid.

Bill - I thought that I was reading the complaints to also mention quality of product, that some of these so-called "whiney" opticians were embarassed to stiff the public with sub-par product for the money they charged.

That's not to say that there are jobs out there (few and far between) that are the best of both worlds - like my job. :cheers:
    Wouldn't anyone be embarrassed to "stiff" the customer for sub-par products? Don't see how you could stay in business doing this. I've been doing this long enough (31 years) to know better than to try an pass crapping products off on someone. It just comes back to haunt you.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Some chain stores do this very well...They makes us independants look great. That is why some of these chaines have to advertise like crazy and have big specials...The loyalty factor is just not there for them. That is the advantage of selling premium products only...less margin but great loyalty in the long run.

Cheers to independants...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Some chain stores do this very well...They makes us independants look great. That is why some of these chaines have to advertise like crazy and have big specials...The loyalty factor is just not there for them. That is the advantage of selling premium products only...less margin but great loyalty in the long run.

Cheers to independants...
    That's great but OD you never answered my question about why OD's and MD's
    pay so low? Look back at post 31 :bbg:

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Jedi,

Sorry did not realize that was a question for me. If I was you in a situation like that, I would take the same approach I would take in trying to upgrade someone to a premium progressive with premium AR...you have to show the OD "what is in it for me" Offer to review his numbers, his stats, educate him or her as to what you can bring to their office. If you could prove to me that by hiring you I would increase my net...I would definitly reward you for the services. If you are in the Buffalo area, cross the border to Fort Erie, I am 2 minutes from the peace bridge, I would love to see what you could do for my office. Doctors I hate to say are not always the smartest business people and are sometimes too busy to see what they are missing. Find one that has an open mind and talk...that is the best advice I can offer. Good luck!!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Jedi,

Sorry did not realize that was a question for me. If I was you in a situation like that, I would take the same approach I would take in trying to upgrade someone to a premium progressive with premium AR...you have to show the OD "what is in it for me" Offer to review his numbers, his stats, educate him or her as to what you can bring to their office. If you could prove to me that by hiring you I would increase my net...I would definitly reward you for the services. If you are in the Buffalo area, cross the border to Fort Erie, I am 2 minutes from the peace bridge, I would love to see what you could do for my office. Doctors I hate to say are not always the smartest business people and are sometimes too busy to see what they are missing. Find one that has an open mind and talk...that is the best advice I can offer. Good luck!!

I would love too but I live more than just a couple minutes away. I like what you say but sad to say most of the OD's and MD's where I m at don't feel that way. I once went in to an interview with an OD, we sat and talked for almost an hour. He said I love your ideas and go getum attitude, he said I will call you later I have to talk to my partner about this and your salary. Five years later and no phone call. From what I heard through the grape vine was he liked my ideas but thought the rate of pay I wanted was way out line. HE was currently at that time paying another opticain $14 per and thought that was high. So my experience which is quite extensive is most OD's and MD's don't pay well at all. Just my 2 cents ;)

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Just curious Jedi, what is the average $ per hour in other venues like private opticals or box stores? Is there a big discrepancy with OD offers...Maybe the market in that area is over saturated with opticians. Have you looked at ratios of population to Opticals and OD with opticals? In Canada we want want no more than 1 optical per 5000 population, less than this and everybody suffers. just my other 2cents!!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Just curious Jedi, what is the average $ per hour in other venues like private opticals or box stores? Is there a big discrepancy with OD offers...Maybe the market in that area is over saturated with opticians. Have you looked at ratios of population to Opticals and OD with opticals? In Canada we want want no more than 1 optical per 5000 population, less than this and everybody suffers. just my other 2cents!!

No the market is not over saturated. Going rate for licensed opticians around western N.Y. in OD or MD offices is as I quoted. Going rate at box stores is 21 per, average 23 with highs I have heard to 27. I m more on the high side not quite 27 but getting there. Just don't like box, but I have found no doctor that wanted to pay for the experience I bring or knowledge. Once they find out what I want it's "we will call you". I tried to over come this by explaining to them that with the increase in sales and a knowledge of optical I could more than make up for the rate of pay. Not one excepted that, they all said that is way out of line for our bottom line. Usually what they normally employ
    is one very good optician and then hire flunkies or first year people who basically don't know a PD stick from a slab off formula. Just my rant. You wanted to know. ;)

C-10
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have not read all these thread so forgive me if I repeat some older threads.

You have to consider that you can only pay what comes in the door as an Independent optician running my own store I had a lot of optician work for me that just could not produce. They all came to me and ask for a larger salary but was not willing to do the sell. Jediron1 you sound like a go getter, go out on your own. I am looking to retire in about five years come to Canada and make me and offer I would love to work for someone else

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Hi again Jedi, I agree with C-10. You do sound ambitious and like someone who knows what they are doing. Opening up from scratch is difficult, costly and you have to be very patient and have good reserves financially to allow you to build up your clientel. If you have a non-compete from wear you work now that makes it even harder. You should visit all the local independants in your area, some of them might be ready to retire or maybe looking for a partner. Operating an independant store has great perks but also some disadvantages. A good partnership with a likeminded individual get me very rewarding while taking the risk out of opening up your own shop. If you have a young family, financial security is important. Banks are alot more willing to lend money if there is an established business earning good income. So buying an existing practice or partnering can be very good options. Again good luck...

PS, how far are you from Buffalo?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hi again Jedi, I agree with C-10. You do sound ambitious and like someone who knows what they are doing. Opening up from scratch is difficult, costly and you have to be very patient and have good reserves financially to allow you to build up your clientel. If you have a non-compete from wear you work now that makes it even harder. You should visit all the local independants in your area, some of them might be ready to retire or maybe looking for a partner. Operating an independant store has great perks but also some disadvantages. A good partnership with a likeminded individual get me very rewarding while taking the risk out of opening up your own shop. If you have a young family, financial security is important. Banks are alot more willing to lend money if there is an established business earning good income. So buying an existing practice or partnering can be very good options. Again good luck...

PS, how far are you from Buffalo?

Lets just say if I give you that info people who watch this board from the box
    could zero in on who I am, which financially I cannot afford to do. Let me say you would not like to walk where I m at, far enough. :D

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

"Wal-Mart Vision Center" is another name for Hell!!

I worked for Wal-Mart Vision for approx 10 months and it was one of the most demeaning positions I've ever held. The pay was $13/hr (although when interviewed I was told it would be $17/hr), we had no finishing lab, it took 2 weeks or so to get a SV job back and usually the OC's were WAY off, in a 6 month time span there was over $15,000 in redos because the lab couldn't do it right (although when you're pumping thousands of jobs through in a week's time, that's not all that surprising), 90% of the employees who staffed the vision center were slicing cheese in the deli only the week before (they thought it would be "fun" to sell glasses) and the customers had this horribly skewed false sense of entitlement and physically weren't all that clean. I even had one woman get in my face and scream, literally SCREAM because I wouldn't replace a frame for free because it was so badly damaged and almost unrecognizable as something that may or may not at one time held corrective lenses and was made sometime during the Carter Administration. But I'm not bitter....

Jeff Cheshire, ABOC, FNAO, NCLEC

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by JChesh
    I worked for Wal-Mart Vision for approx 10 months and it was one of the most demeaning positions I've ever held. The pay was $13/hr (although when interviewed I was told it would be $17/hr), we had no finishing lab, it took 2 weeks or so to get a SV job back and usually the OC's were WAY off, in a 6 month time span there was over $15,000 in redos because the lab couldn't do it right (although when you're pumping thousands of jobs through in a week's time, that's not all that surprising), 90% of the employees who staffed the vision center were slicing cheese in the deli only the week before (they thought it would be "fun" to sell glasses) and the customers had this horribly skewed false sense of entitlement and physically weren't all that clean. I even had one woman get in my face and scream, literally SCREAM because I wouldn't replace a frame for free because it was so badly damaged and almost unrecognizable as something that may or may not at one time held corrective lenses and was made sometime during the Carter Administration. But I'm not bitter....

Jeff Cheshire, ABOC, FNAO, NCLEC

First thing I would have done is find out what happened to the $4 bucks.

Secondly OH YES ENTITLEMENT! Don't you just love all those insurance plans?
    Just my 2 cents ;)

35yroldguy
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sad what I have been reading. Inexperienced, one day wonders are a hazard to the good people that visit your offices. Yes I am directing this at OD's and MD's that are gauging John Q Public. You charge high exam fees and lower prices on your eyeglasses. You pay your inexperienced help peanuts compared to the big bucks you put in your bank account. Then you cry about what you would have to pay for someone who really has the quailfications a nice salary.

Just my two cents!!!

OTE=jediron1]First thing I would have done is find out what happened to the $4 bucks.

Secondly OH YES ENTITLEMENT! Don't you just love all those insurance plans?
    Just my 2 cents ;)[/QUOTE]

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Hi Oldguy,

First of all how do you judge high exam fees...have you compared exam fees for good OD's versus dentists, Chiropractors and any other professional who spent 6+ years in university. Our prices for our expertise is very fair compared to any of our professional peers. Secondly, our low prices on glasses is a broad paint brush type comment that does not reflect every office. The same can be said about paying our staff peanuts. I have had this discussion before and there are doctors out there who pay peanuts but I do think it is a minority. When you say peanuts, are you comparing to Walmart at $13/hour with horrible working conditions. I could go on and on but usually old dogs do not learn new tricks so I will save by fingers!!

35yroldguy
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sorry my point of view sometimes gets me into hot water. Yes you are right.

All of us me included have university degees and we expect from our efforts higher salaries than those who have a limited education.

What is fair is hard for any of us to dicifer! The wide range of prices in todays marketplace varies.

The only place I really differ is what some doctors pay their staff opposed to people who do have the necessary credenitals. In one of my friends OD offices his pay to his staff was lower than market value. When his staff asked for raises they were all immediated fired. A new group was brought in and paid the same low salary and the process started over again. Now I know this is a isolated case but it happens.

Yes, SOME old dogs do not learn new tricks but at least this one is opened minded. I just wish there were others with my attitude.

By the way what does a eye exam in your area cost the patient and what is included?

Hi Oldguy,

First of all how do you judge high exam fees...have you compared exam fees for good OD's versus dentists, Chiropractors and any other professional who spent 6+ years in university. Our prices for our expertise is very fair compared to any of our professional peers. Secondly, our low prices on glasses is a broad paint brush type comment that does not reflect every office. The same can be said about paying our staff peanuts. I have had this discussion before and there are doctors out there who pay peanuts but I do think it is a minority. When you say peanuts, are you comparing to Walmart at $13/hour with horrible working conditions. I could go on and on but usually old dogs do not learn new tricks so I will save by fingers!!

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Hi again,

I must apologize also, I was rather harsh re-reading my early post. I am very happy with your answer and your PM. It is a very competitive market out there and we can survive by doing different things. In MHO paying peanuts for staff is not the wisest moves...someone once told me: If you pay peanuts, you usually get monkeys..." or something like that. I pay my staff very well and not a day goes by that I do not have at least one patient telling how great my staff is. Every time I hear it confirms that this is the way I want to do business. Not everyone will agree with that but I am happy and in the end...that is what counts. Take care oldguy!

Thread Information