Thread: forensic opticianry

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician

forensic opticianry

i saw patient eyeglasses on him when taken out of ambulance, it had extreme negative face form.
    wondering what would have happened with him,could it be assault or falling and in which position that made his eyeglasses bend in extreme negative form.any clue anyone?

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper i saw patient eyeglasses on him..................

Quote Originally Posted by Graduate
    i saw patient eyeglasses on him when taken out of ambulance, it had extreme negative face form.
    wondering what would have happened with him,could it be assault or falling and in which position that made his eyeglasses bend in extreme negative form.any clue anyone?
    Actually nobody could without having seen tha glasses or pictures of it, but then.............................

This might be a new profession...........Forensic Optician

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser
    Actually nobody could without having seen tha glasses or pictures of it, but then.............................

This might be a new profession...........Forensic Optician
    This has actually brought up a situation that my father, who is an optometrist, was faced with about ten years ago. There was a civil court case between two families. Two people died in a car accident, they were both around 75 years old. The driver pulled out in front of a truck on a highway and both elderly people died in the accident. Each family wanted to sue the other family for the death of their loved one. The problem was that both of them were thrown from the car upon impact so no one knew who was driving. The only piece of evidence was their eyeglasses. Both of them were thrown into the windshield/visors of the car on impact. When the police arrived at the scene the glasses where imbedded into the upper visors above the windshield and the other's were still imbedded in the windshield. So my father was called to testify as to who's glasses were who's and to help identify which person was driving. He had to bring in all records etc... The one gentleman wore a double bar metal frame and the woman wore an old zyl pair so it was pretty easy to tell who's were who's and who was probably driving. Anyways, one of those weird situations that came down to an optometrist helping determine who was at fault for the multiple death accident.

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    what kind of fall or blow can make your eyeglasses bend in extreme negative face form.

The person i saw was unconcious but had no visible injury on his face.
    yes forensic exist in ophthalmic,although few cases

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Just wait til you can tell which patients rinse thier contact lenses over the lavatory, and which wet them in thier mouth just by looking. Which ones remove thier soft lenses from the case by digging them out with the fingernail as opposed to touching the pad of the finger to them. Who wipes glasses with a shirt tail, a paper towel, or a proper cloth with moisture.

Wait til you can tell when a conformer or prosthetic eye has been dipped in alcohol, which have been soaked in alcohol.

Who cleans the contact lens case weekly and who doesn't. Who cleans the lenses on removal or puts it off til morning. Who doesn't clean them at all. Who uses enzymatic cleaner.

Chip

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Come on, don't you all remember the episode of CSI a few seasons back when Grissom holds up a little piece of a lens and says "looks like a 20/40 prescription!"

It took me a while to stop laughing at that one.

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Axe attack....

what kind of fall or blow can make your eyeglasses bend in extreme negative face form.

Axe attack right between the eyes.....if you don't check it out too carefully it will look like a frown! :bbg: :bbg: Awful bad negative face form results!
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    A couple of years ago a women was murdered in my old home town. Beaten and stabbed to death she "bled out" after quite a struggle. A frame was at the murder scene that was not hers or any family members. I talked days later to one of the cops if I could see a picture of it as he said it was bent out of shape and maybe I could tell if it was bent during the struggle or left as a red herring. It's funny how with experience you can often tell how a frame broke or got bent. Permission was denied of course but with the murder still unsolved I still wonder if the police might find "forensic opticianry" helpful. They did contact the manufacturer but that's the last I heard of it.
    As an aside note when I worked in downtown Boston many years ago we often got FBI fliers on wanted criminals/suspects with their rx's and sometimes frame info. Haven't seen one since I settled in the suburbs.

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by hcjilson
    Axe attack right between the eyes.....if you don't check it out too carefully it will look like a frown! :bbg: :bbg: Awful bad negative face form results!
    Exactly that is how it looked like,hammered at nasal crest. his nose seemed alright though,i saw him in flash of rush

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Then the manager took the new guy by the hand ............

A manager of a crematorium told me that he was teaching a new emplyoee how to do it, ......................after the new man did his first job and went to check on the final result he came running into the managers office........trembling and moaning as if he had seen a ghost.

Then the manager took the new guy by the hand and they went to the job site and there was a lonely skull on the grill wearing a pair of glasses looking fully intact.

Then he showed the new employes ...........just to touch the skull with his fingers and ...........everything instantly disapeared into dust.

Bad address email on file Karlen McLean's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

1924 murder solved by glasses

In 1924, two friends, Richard Loeb and Nathan Leopold, decided to commit the perfect murder. Bobby Franks, an aquaintence of the two boys, was selected. They enticed him to their vehicle, then killed him with a chisel, dumping his body in a culvert in a marsh. The body was discovered, but no arrests were made. However, a pair of horned-rimmed glasses were discovered near Franks' body. The eyewear - with a distinctive Rx and unusual hinge - was traced to a Chicago optometrist. The eyewear was identified by the optometrist and confirmed as Leopold's: they fell out of his pocket during the murder. In spite of having famous lawyer Clarence Darrow to defend them, the boys were sentenced to life in prison. Loeb died in 1934 after being attacked in prison. Leopold was released in 1958 and lived until 1971.

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    looked like a Cartier gold filled frame,

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Are you assuming the glasses were on the person's face when they were bent? You mentioned you did not see any injuries on the person's face. Maybe the glasses were put there to help the person orientate themselves. I think there could be ALOT of explanations of how the glasses got bent to such an extreme. Do you have any other clues about the injury?

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

This is simple. An inexperienced optician did some adjustments, wrongly, resulting in the negative face form creating such a severe headache the patient collapsed. I see it all the time.;)

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by EncoreJim
    Are you assuming the glasses were on the person's face when they were bent? You mentioned you did not see any injuries on the person's face. Maybe the glasses were put there to help the person orientate themselves. I think there could be ALOT of explanations of how the glasses got bent to such an extreme. Do you have any other clues about the injury?
    yes i believe the glasses were on person's face and bent into extreme negative face form either through falling or assault.

Mystery to me is what kind of assault blow or fall can form negative face form on eyeglasses. I did not see the injured person face well but from what i saw he had no visible injury.

so -face form remains mystery to me for this injured spectacle wearer:hammer:

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I suspect that he just took them out of the case and they were like that ...

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Could an airbag be to blame for this? Perhaps one of the first generation airbags that just blast out really quickly. A tough frame might get bent without breaking, although I'd think the patient would have some facial trauma.

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Ory
    Could an airbag be to blame for this? Perhaps one of the first generation airbags that just blast out really quickly. A tough frame might get bent without breaking, although I'd think the patient would have some facial trauma.
    possible. i guess paramedical personnel or helper might have walked over frame in heist.

Thread Information