Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What progressives are your favorites?

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

What progressives are your favorites?

I am thinking it would be helpful and interesting to hear what other opticians like to use and why. Also do you perfer some for farsighted patients and some for nearsighted patients?

I use many different progressives but my favorites are the Varilux Physico, the SolaOne, and the Varilux Ellipse. I use the Physico when excellent distance is the most important and the SolaOne when excellent near is important. I use the Ellipse for smaller frames.

I tend to use the same lenses for both nearsighted and farsighted patients.

If the patient is already wearing a progressive and is completely happy with it I often keep them in the same lens.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I use the Ovation as our main basic lens with AR. It does a really nice job. I do have a crush on the Ellipse, as customers have really liked it. I love it when I sell a pair of Ipseo's. Then you cannot ever forget about the iron horse, Super No Line.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Happylady,

“I use the Physico when excellent distance is the most important and the SolaOne when excellent near is important.”

What lens do you use when the patient requires excellent distance AND near vision?

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker
    Happylady,

“I use the Physico when excellent distance is the most important and the SolaOne when excellent near is important.”

What lens do you use when the patient requires excellent distance AND near vision?
    Actually I think both lenses do well in all areas. That is why they are my favorites.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I am fond of the Essilor Natural Comfort, as well as the Ovation. I have very good success with both. I will use the Sola Instinctive from time to time, it seems to work very well. For higher end lenses, I have the most success with the Seiko Proceed II.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I like the Piccolo and the hoya gp wide. I also fit panamic. It just depends.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I like Essilor- all of my patients "see" with them. Have no complaints.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Happylady
    I am thinking it would be helpful and interesting to hear what other opticians like to use and why. Also do you perfer some for farsighted patients and some for nearsighted patients?
    It's a nice question, and I also would like to hear from the experts here.

Occupation
    We use Panamic,Liberty and Comfort, Hoya ECP, CD and GP Wide, Shamir Genisis and Piccolo, Sola One and occaisionally Zeiss GT and Seiko Proceed 1.67 Transitions.

It really depends on the RX, the person's lifestyle, the type of frame and the material (transitions in high index, hehe).

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I notice Kodack is not mention, any reason why?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm not sure why. I think there's just so many to choose from, it gets overlooked.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by shellrob
    I'm not sure why. I think there's just so many to choose from, it gets overlooked.
    Bingo!:idea:

Occupation
    Optometrist
    We use the Gradal Top most often...in plus rx we have found some patient had harder adaptations. They (hyperopes)seemed to do better in a Nikon I or W. Any one else using GT find hyperopes more problematic?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I guess the next logical question is why are these your favorites? Is it advertising, design, personal experience, customer feedback, price, material availability?

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    With the Ovation I have had good reviews, it is moderately priced, and flexible.

With the Ellipse, it is not just that it can go into small frames, but I have had some really good reviews on it.

Super No Line, it is the price

Ipseo, it is the great reviews, the great idea, and gives us a differentiation point.

They are all Essilor lenses, because I deal with an Essilor lab. If I had to get rid of all four I am certain that I would have no problem going to Zeiss, Signet Armorlite, Hoya, or whoever.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I am a satellite office, use what the main office uses most of the time. I can choose my own when doing vsp.

Essilor is a great, I just have a small problem with rep. Hate lining their pockets.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Obviously if you are sticking to a product, it works on a lot of points. If I had returns, if the cost was prohibitive, I would not use it. Are there other products out there that would give my patient better satisfaction at the same price? maybe, some patient are not as apt to detect residual distortion but I am not going to start off my patient on lesser performing products than what I consider a minimum starting quality. In my case I prefer the Gradal Top, with my volume I get a good price, very few returns, patients are happy, me and my staff are used to fitting it, it is different than what all the box stores fit in Canada, life is good:)

Occupation
    Optometrist
    We also fit the Gradal Top a lot. It's the lens that was being used by the office when I joined and I've had little reason to move away from it. Can't say I've noticed a significant difference in non-adaptations between hyperopes and myopes.

In very high myopes I've found the Individual to be excellent. It seems great for those who could handle a low add progressive but have trouble adapting to a higher add. Price makes it a tough sell but it is well worth it for those who have hit a wall otherwise.

And while it may be argued about if it's a progressive, I like the access lens for those office workers.

Occupation
    Only comment on the Zeiss GT and hyperopes was a complaint on the long channel - the patient felt they had to "go too far down the lens" to get to the reading. (Yes, we did double check the seg height)

Shamir Genesis - well balanced lens.
    Hoya GP Wide - larger intermediate and larger reading area, also confirmed this looking at a contour plot comparison against all the lenses mentioned in my previous post.
    Hoya products in general because of the Super High Vision and the 1.70 and Trivex materials.
    Varilux Liberty has been a great computer lens for us...
    Essilor has the poly 1.0 center grinding - inexpensive option for a thinner/lighter lens
    I also love the cleanability of the Alize w/ clear guard...
    And for the short-corridor options I have used AO Compact, Summit CD, Piccolo and Elipse. The CD and the Piccolo have been the best so far. Going to try the Zeiss Brevity in a couple of weeks at 16 hi - will let you know.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Thanks for reminding me optigrrl...the Zeiss Brevity is a farly good lens for the smaller frames. Haven't compared it to the ellipse yet....has anyone else?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have had far better success with the Ellipse as a short corridor choice than the Brevity. The patients I put in the brevity all complained of a smaller distance view and swim. The Ellipse I have had only complaint from a patient on, and that was more of a problem with her wanting an office type lens and not a regular dress pair.

Now as far as my favorites:

Gradal Top: Great Lens, Great price, from an awesome Lab..like to fit at least 20 high

Physio:Less swim, a bit more balanced..switching all my previous Varilux Comfort/Panamics over to this style..Also Davis Patients!

SolaOne: After hearing some raving reviews I have been trying this lately as an 18 high lens. can get from my favorite lab, and so far good feedback!

Ellipse:My favorite Short Corridor lens. Excellent for low adds to get that quick bit of help for computer as well.

Definity: For the patient who demands the best for reading

Image: For the price, a great lens. Also love the trivex option.

I have been considering trying more of the Shamir product. I can get it from my favorite non Varilux Lab, and they have trivex options.
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by francisOD
    In my case I prefer the Gradal Top, with my volume I get a good price, very few returns, patients are happy, me and my staff are used to fitting it, it is different than what all the box stores fit in Canada, life is good:)
    Have you ever tried to fit your pt with Gradal Individual or Gradal Individual FrameFit and what's the comment? As long as I fit my pt with both lenses, they are all happy. Thanks.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I have used the gradal individual once on a patient with -4.00 cyl or around there ou...px was very happy...was a little hard to convince him to try because of price but Zeiss had good warranty, told patient if non adapt full refund, helped close the deal and px thought it was worth the money, first progressive he was comfortable with from the start. Only one case but positive one!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Kodak (precise for example) is made by signet armorlite...they only made them in an in mold scratch resistant coating :finger: that wasn't compatible with an AR. :angry: Most companies had an uncoated lens available if they were sold with AR. I'm not sure if they ever fixed the problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karenrp1956
    I notice Kodack is not mention, any reason why?

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by francisOD
    I have used the gradal individual once on a patient with -4.00 cyl or around there ou...px was very happy...was a little hard to convince him to try because of price but Zeiss had good warranty, told patient if non adapt full refund, helped close the deal and px thought it was worth the money, first progressive he was comfortable with from the start. Only one case but positive one!
    Thanks for the prompt feedback.

Thread Information