Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What progressives are your favorites?

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by mike.elmes
    Kodak (precise for example) is made by signet armorlite...they only made them in an in mold scratch resistant coating :finger: that wasn't compatible with an AR. :angry: Most companies had an uncoated lens available if they were sold with AR. I'm not sure if they ever fixed the problem.
    I have never had a problem with Kodak lenses and AR. I have used Crizal, Alizee, and different Zeiss coatings with no problems.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    They have fixed the problem with the coating, and last time the rep was in.. they were promoting their AR.

They have some great loyalty money out there, won some awards...I just have never tried them. Though a local chain uses their products almost exclusively.

Cassandra
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The problem was signet armorlite only made them with an in mold src....none of the coating companies could seem to figure out how to deglaze the front src, and SA didn't want to take responsibility.The rest of the world was producing uncoated versions for AR jobs. The kodak market was primarily the US where the percentage of AR was low.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker

“I use the Physico when excellent distance is the most important and the SolaOne when excellent near is important.”
    In other words SOLAOne is almost the same with SolaMAx for near, is it correct?

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Happylady
    I tend to use the same lenses for both nearsighted and farsighted patients.
    Hyperopes have slightly decreased fields with PALs due to magnification, and would probably benefit from PAL designs with wider distance, intermediate, and near zones. Plus powered PALs that use flatter base curves (fully aspheric) are lighter in weight with improved appearance especially in rimless frames. The lenses will also mount better in full metal titanium frames. With all things being equal, the above can be the tie breaker when deciding on the lens design.

Here are some lenses that I frequently dispense (Adds > +1.75)...

For those with low frequency near tasks or have auxiliary glasses for near...

Zeiss Gradal Top, Shamir Genesis, Sola Percepta.

Average near tasks...

Any medium length corridor design with the Genesis being one of the best general purpose designs. Panamic for its flatter curves.

Above average near tasks...

Piccolo, Concise (will be available in Trivex sometime this year) XS (flatter curves) Ellipse, Summit CD (Trivex) Ao Easy/Sola One (Finalite).

Below +1.75 add powers...

Mostly medium to long corridor soft designs.

Atorics for folks with CYL over two diopters.

Regards,
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Robert, I do like to use aspheric designs for + prescriptions. I am familar with most of the designs you use and use several of them.

I rarely use the Concise or the Summit CD. They might be great at near, but they are poor at distance. I would rather use the Sola One, which I think is more balanced.

I use the Percepta some because of its great distance, they make a nice sunglass.

One of the reasons I have never used the Shamir products is that I really like the Crizal, High Vision, and Teflon ARs which I can't use on them. I use the Carat Advantage sometimes, but the lab I can get Shamir from can only do the Carat on them.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    My personal experience has been that the Carat Advantage is better than the Teflon. Do you find the opposite? Just curious. You have a Shamir lab that does the Carat advantage or XT?

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Happylady,

Balanced is a probably the best word to use when describing these (Sola One) general purpose lenses.

I'm presently wearing Piccolo, prior to that the Concise, and the Sola Max before that. When I first trialed the Concise, the first thing I noticed was that I didn't have to raise my chin as much when looking at the monitor or reading the paper. It was a huge difference, enough so that I was reasonably functional through the day if I forgot to bring my computer glasses to work. I also noticed that the lens felt busier, swimmy if you will, with more distance peripheral blur and some flare at night from headlights. All except the distance peripheral blur went away after about ten days, and the only time I notice the peripheral blur presently is if I lay down on the floor and look at the TV. These are problems that are inherent in all short corridor lenses, and being an avid reader I'm willing to make that compromise. My Rx is -4.50ish with a 2.25 add.

Regards
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Brevity

I have had huge sucess with the Brevity by Zeiss. I converted an Essilor office over to Zeiss. I asked why they used only comfort and she said that the rep told her it was the best. They used it for the last 20 years. She was wearing the ellipse and was alright with it. I gave her a set of Brevity and this is the only pair she wears practiclly. So my first choice is the Zeiss Brevity, the Gradal Top and the Sola One

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Can you crizal the Brevity

Quote Originally Posted by lab fly
    I have had huge sucess with the Brevity by Zeiss. I converted an Essilor office over to Zeiss. I asked why they used only comfort and she said that the rep told her it was the best. They used it for the last 20 years. She was wearing the ellipse and was alright with it. I gave her a set of Brevity and this is the only pair she wears practiclly. So my first choice is the Zeiss Brevity, the Gradal Top and the Sola One

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Karenrp1956
    You can put Carat Advantage on it.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Martellaro
    Happylady,

Balanced is a probably the best word to use when describing these (Sola One) general purpose lenses.

I'm presently wearing Piccolo, prior to that the Concise, and the Sola Max before that. When I first trialed the Concise, the first thing I noticed was that I didn't have to raise my chin as much when looking at the monitor or reading the paper. It was a huge difference, enough so that I was reasonably functional through the day if I forgot to bring my computer glasses to work. I also noticed that the lens felt busier, swimmy if you will, with more distance peripheral blur and some flare at night from headlights. All except the distance peripheral blur went away after about ten days, and the only time I notice the peripheral blur presently is if I lay down on the floor and look at the TV. These are problems that are inherent in all short corridor lenses, and being an avid reader I'm willing to make that compromise. My Rx is -4.50ish with a 2.25 add.

Regards
    I have never worn the Piccolo but I did sell my first one today. :D

I have worn both the Sola Max and Concise and neither are my favorites. The near was fine, but the lenses are swimmy. I actually have a pair of Concise now and I have gotten used it it but if I put on my Physicos or Sola Ones they are better.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Brevity- Crizal

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Karenrp1956

I'm sure it is possible technically however what we want and what the manufacturers will do are two different things. However, I do put the Teflon AR on alot of Brevitys and get an incredible product just like the Crizal Ar both are great products and very similar in my opinion

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have worked with mainly the Hoya GP wide for 5+ years and ...We basically switch everyone out of their current lens and into the GP Wide-as long as frame size would alow. And all of our new fits...we had a 98% sucess rate !!!! Honestly
    Last edited by n711; 05-27-2006 at 12:56 PM.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Favorite Lenses

Well here it goes.

Premium EZ fit - Not sure who it's made by, but it works very well and I have had no complaints from 20 patients I've fitted. That can change. Very good pricing from lab is why I've been trying it.

Shamir Genesis, Piccolo and Office- All very good in a variety of materials. I'm a big fan of the Office for computer users and have been very successful with that as well.

Younger Image - as someone stated earlier a great lens and good to use when you are selling clear and polarized.

Various Varilux designs. I've used them all and I used to use them exclusively, but a shift in office staff and I'm able to try different lenses now.

I guess what works for your patients consistently and keeps them happy and your office profitable can be what dictates what your "favorite" is.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Big Smile when excellent distance is the most important ...............

I use the Physico when excellent distance is the most important and the SolaOne when excellent near is important.
    As an optician you should agree that the most perfect distance vision is as important as a perfect near vision.

It seems that you are of the opinion that on those pals you do not have a perfect lens that gives you both. Are you selling everybody 2 pairs of them........so that they can see good for distance and the other good for close up?
    :D

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser
    As an optician you should agree that the most perfect distance vision is as important as a perfect near vision.

It seems that you are of the opinion that on those pals you do not have a perfect lens that gives you both. Are you selling everybody 2 pairs of them........so that they can see good for distance and the other good for close up?
    :D
    Oh Chris, lets just agree to disagree! ;)

I think both of these lenses are great, but the Physio has a slight edge in the distance and the Sola One has a slight edge in the near. A farsighted person who spends a lot of time reading might do better with the Sola One. A moderately nearsighed person who can remove their glasses when reading if needed might perfer the Physio.

I wish I could sell everyone two pairs of glasses, but that is another tale.

Your "solution" of using flattops has plenty of problems involved in it. Flattops have their own problems and issues.

Bad address email on file
    I do tend to agree with this. They are both extremely important though I tend to ask the patient which actually matters most to them.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation

Physio

Essilor just launched Physio in my country, and I would to hear the comment from who has tried Physio. Thanks.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel Jong
    Essilor just launched Physio in my country, and I would to hear the comment from who has tried Physio. Thanks.
    Chris, you may not want to read this part:

I just put my grandmother into the 360. She has worn a FT-35 for years. The main reason why I switched her is because she now uses the computer a lot and is missing the intermediate. I figured with us paying for it it was a good test to see how good of a lens it is (since we could just put her back into the FT or a trifocal if we want to). She is adapting fine. Of course she notices a smaller reading area, but she has no need for a huge one (extremely few do). We also put a former trifocal wearer into one (she really wanted to try it out, we did not force her), and she adapted no problem.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life
    Chris, you may not want to read this part:

I just put my grandmother into the 360. She has worn a FT-35 for years. The main reason why I switched her is because she now uses the computer a lot and is missing the intermediate. I figured with us paying for it it was a good test to see how good of a lens it is (since we could just put her back into the FT or a trifocal if we want to). She is adapting fine. Of course she notices a smaller reading area, but she has no need for a huge one (extremely few do). We also put a former trifocal wearer into one (she really wanted to try it out, we did not force her), and she adapted no problem.
    Why did you put Physio 360 instead of Physio? Is it because Physio 360 a "free-form" technology?

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation

WAVE Technology - Physio

The keyword in Essilor's marketing material is "WAVE Technology", is it a real new feature? It sounds like a fancy way to describe their ray-tracing technology.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel Jong
    Why did you put Physio 360 instead of Physio? Is it because Physio 360 a "free-form" technology?
    Well might as well do the best for the family.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper The consumer is also an easy target...................

Oh Chris, lets just agree to disagree! ;)

Your "solution" of using flattops has plenty of problems involved in it. Flattops have their own problems and issues.
    Flat tops have a place in this world...........issue or no issue...........progressives have also their place.

It just hase to be the right place.

All you promoters of selling only progressives for all seasons, as cooking, reading, playing golf, for architects that look at large plans, Poeple over 60 that can not read more than one coloumn in a news paper because the reading segment is too small.

The opticians who sells a consumer a small frame that has no reading segment left at the bottom.................are all one track minded because the public is an easy fish to catch.

The consumer is also an easy target because he or she is fashion minded and buy these lenses because they dont reveal the person's age by visible means as would be for a regular bifocal.

Last but not least.................the manufacturers also convert consumers by mass and hype advertising to purchase these overpriced lenses.

Bad address email on file lilchiken's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Redhot Jumper Favorite Progressives

My Favorites are anything Varilux. I just got my first pair of progressives and I LOVE my Varilux Physio 360's. Its like wearing S.V. lenses! Amazing.The Ellipse's are great for that trendy person with their small b frames.Not a patient yet has exchanged them. There is no discernable distortions in the perepheral in the 360's and I adapted right away.My rx is:
    OD -4.75-0.75x180
    OS -2.75-0.50x004
    add+1.00

Thread Information