Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you use waivers for Progressive lenses?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Do you use waivers for Progressive lenses?

I sometimes run into problems with patients not understanding that when they have progressive failure, I don't refund the difference of cost to them. I ALWAYS cover that when I am selling, but patients, a lot of times, do not remember the conversation or at least that portion of it. I used to, years ago, make them sign a waiver or explanation of how it works. My question is, does anyone else do this and if so, how do you word it? Thanks in advance!

Lady Optician:cheers:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Ladyoptician
    I sometimes run into problems with patients not understanding that when they have progressive failure, I don't refund the difference of cost to them. I ALWAYS cover that when I am selling, but patients, a lot of times, do not remember the conversation or at least that portion of it. I used to, years ago, make them sign a waiver or explanation of how it works. My question is, does anyone else do this and if so, how do you word it? Thanks in advance!

I have never had a problem with that. When I m finished I explain to the person that if all else fails we will redo there lenses into what ever style they prefer ( and this only to a point ) and then I say " but you do realize there is no refunding of money but we will make "one pair" of lenses with what ever you had on the first ( like A/R ) at N/C. I have never had a problem.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am so careful to make sure the patient understands at the time of purchase, but still have had two in the past 8 months, that made it clear that they were not happy with that and thought a refund was in order. I don't want to kill any progressive sales, but on the other hand I also don't want to eat it either! I am hoping that getting them to sign this waiver may eliminate any question.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Ladyoptician wrote:

“I am so careful to make sure the patient understands at the time of purchase, but still have had two in the past 8 months, that made it clear that they were not happy with that and thought a refund was in order.”

Well, obviously your carefully explained message was not at all that clear, at least in two cases. You might want to review the message for clarity and content. If they can’t understand it orally they probably will not understand it written out in black and white.

In any case, have your policy printed on the reverse of your invoice like real businesses do. Stay away from wavers. They insult the customer and solve nothing.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Oh, they told me they understood it, they just didn't like it and I think, intended to argue it from the beginning if they had progressive failure. It was not a case of misunderstanding what I had said, I think it was more they didn't think they would have any problem with the lens ( after careful instruction on that as well) and then when they did, it was a case of buyers remorse........They didn't think it would affect them. I thought the waiver would eliminate the anticipation of arguing it if need be. I do see your point about insulting them.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

I don't want to kill any progressive sales....................

I don't want to kill any progressive sales, but on the other hand I also don't want to eat it either!
    How about learning who is a perfect case for progressives and who is not or is borderline.

Stay away from the latter two with progressives and give them what they need and want. Then you will have a 100% success rate and will need no waivers.

Furthermore you will get word of mouth advertising that you did not push acertain lens on somebody that would bring them back and then badmouth you.

Its better to have a happy customer than one that comes back fuming with anger and the feel hes been had.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If you have the perfect formula for that then, please share it. I have been a licensed dispensing optician for 11 years and still don't have that down pat. I don't push progressives. I wouldn't take a 75 year old that has worn flat tops for 30 years and try to convince them that this is the lens for them. ON the other side of that coin, I have seen it happen and with great success. I have seen many cases where I have thought " This person will be back" and the next time I see them, they are doing great! I have seen a man that wore executive trifocals go into a progressive and love it! What is your rule of thumb? What is your lens of choice for someone you think is borderline!! Spread the wealth!!LOL!

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    If you have the perfect formula for that then, please share it. I have been a licensed dispensing optician for 11 years and still don't have that down pat. I don't push progressives. I wouldn't take a 75 year old that has worn flat tops for 30 years and try to convince them that this is the lens for them. ON the other side of that coin, I have seen it happen and with great success. I have seen many cases where I have thought " This person will be back" and the next time I see them, they are doing great! I have seen a man that wore executive trifocals go into a progressive and love it! What is your rule of thumb? What is your lens of choice for someone you think is borderline!! Spread the wealth!!LOL!
    I find it is a motivational thing.

It is like the internet. My uncle refuses to get even close to a computer. He claims "that he had to work on computers all of his life, and he does not want to touch one now." Now, he worked for Canadian Pacific Rail, so obviously it is a different thing. There are many things I know he would benefit from and enjoy with a computer. I could put on in his house, set it up, and show him how to use it, but he would still never use it.

It comes down to motivation. He has no motivation to use it.

Many older people who wear flat tops are happy with how they use their glasses. They are happy with how the lenses work and have no problems. They may want to give up a line, but not with a struggle. They have no motivation. Others want more, they want more intermediate, they do not want the line, and they are really willing to want to try a PAL. They tend to have the motivation, and I find that they adapt with little problems.

Optiboard Professional Bill West's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Put it in writing

I wrote an article explaining all about progressives and how to adapt after years of explaining it over and over. Works great, helps with adjustment, they know what to expect and I also address the exchange policy, including 60 day period. We give one to all new progressive wearers and never have a problem, no kidding.

QUOTE=Ladyoptician]I am so careful to make sure the patient understands at the time of purchase, but still have had two in the past 8 months, that made it clear that they were not happy with that and thought a refund was in order. I don't want to kill any progressive sales, but on the other hand I also don't want to eat it either! I am hoping that getting them to sign this waiver may eliminate any question.[/QUOTE]

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    [QUOTE=Bill West]I wrote an article explaining all about progressives and how to adapt after years of explaining it over and over. Works great, helps with adjustment, they know what to expect and I also address the exchange policy, including 60 day period. We give one to all new progressive wearers and never have a problem, no kidding.

Now that sounds very interesting! Would you be willing to post it or let me know where to aquire it? I find that pamphlets don't go into enough detail, so that sounds like a great idea!

On the Sunset Tour! Framebender's Avatar
    Occupation

Wink I heard it was. . .

always a full moon in never never land, maybe that's the problem.;)

Seriously though, we've had a couple over the years, but not enough to worry about. I usually tell them that I'm doing them a favor by replacing their lenses with either SV, bi or tri, because the lab sure isn't going to give me my money back!!

Of course we're cheap, but we don't take abuse!!:)

Bill's idea might be a good move for you though!:cheers:
    Days where my gratitude exceed my expectations are very good days!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Its easy to understand: Americans just don't want responsibility for their decisions

[QUOTE=Ladyoptician]Oh, they told me they understood it, they just didn't like it and I think, intended to argue it from the beginning if they had progressive failure. ]

I tell my patient's that their satisfaction is assured, and that they can select an alternate lens of any type....but they add'l money they spend for the progressive is not refunded to them. This initial *extra*(?) charge is what they are spending to "try" out progressives.
    I also tell them that in the 32 years of dispensing lenses, I've had far more satiafaction (and less failures) with progressive as compared to bifocals.
    It's their choice. If they argue afterward and/or deny the above..I let them go.

I don't need that type of nonsense!

Barry

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

I also tell them that in the 32 years...................

[QUOTE=Barry Santini]

I also tell them that in the 32 years of dispensing lenses, I've had far more satiafaction (and less failures) with progressive as compared to bifocals.
    It's their choice. Barry
    Rule of Thumb

People starting out to wear multifocals will like them and continue wearing them until they die.

Switching poeple from other bifocals is always...................a maybe.

Starting people on progressives that have an add of + 1.75 and higher is usually a no no.

Engineers and architects.......or anybody looking at large desk areas is usually a no no.

Of course there are always some exceptions.

Allen Weatherby
    Occupation
    We are currently considering testing a plan with the new Seiko Succeed Internal backside progressive which we supply to ECPs.

The explaination to the patient is something like this:

"If you order the new Seiko Succeed Internal backside progressive and are not satisfied you can return exchange it for any of these traditional products and receive a refund of $150.00."

Since this is a new premium catagory lens, that costs about $100 to $150 more than traditional progressives with an excellent adaptation rate, we would then credit your account for that lens less a small fee. The net to the ECP is that you have very limited risk selling this excellent new product, while offering your customer a better experience when you rarely might have to drop back to the traditional progressive.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    In my practice i do a couple of things that brings me satisfied clients(thanks God:)). First, i only recommend progressives with prooved quality, like essilor, Indo. Rodenstock too, but they have bad scratch resistance (organics). so i don't compromise with the quality. As For-Life says, the motivation is very important- you have to appraise the client- to see if he/she is motivated to wear glasses everyday. there are patients who denied to wear glasses all day long and this must show you that this person won't be satisfied with progressives. The talk with the patient is very important. And the next thing is your knowledge. It is very important to be familiar with the different types of progressives.

OptiBoard Apprentice

Thumbs up

Hello For-Life~

I believe you are absolutely correct about MOTIVATION being the number one factor in wanting and adapting to progressive lenses. Just as it is with contact lenses. At least this has been the case for me. Now if I could just be motivated to go and clean my house...or lose those few pounds...or.... :)

Quote Originally Posted by For-Life
    I find it is a motivational thing.

It is like the internet. My uncle refuses to get even close to a computer. He claims "that he had to work on computers all of his life, and he does not want to touch one now." Now, he worked for Canadian Pacific Rail, so obviously it is a different thing. There are many things I know he would benefit from and enjoy with a computer. I could put on in his house, set it up, and show him how to use it, but he would still never use it.

It comes down to motivation. He has no motivation to use it.

Many older people who wear flat tops are happy with how they use their glasses. They are happy with how the lenses work and have no problems. They may want to give up a line, but not with a struggle. They have no motivation. Others want more, they want more intermediate, they do not want the line, and they are really willing to want to try a PAL. They tend to have the motivation, and I find that they adapt with little problems.

Occupation
    Patients mostly bring up the subject of progressives before I have gotten the chance. These days the consumer is more willing to seek out information before they purchase. They ask friends, they come to optiboard...hehe

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Is this a problem for you?
    Do you have a high percentage of progressive rejects?

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

We don't/won't discriminate.

I wouldn't take a 75 year old that has worn flat tops for 30 years and try to convince them that this is the lens for them.
    We do it everyday, IF it is the lens for them. It's not my fault if it's taken them 74 years to finally find an optician that's willing to offer them exactly what they need REGARDLESS of their AGE or INCOME.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Stone
    Is this a problem for you?
    Do you have a high percentage of progressive rejects?
    I have only had it happen twice in 8 months.

I don't know what my percentage is. Never tracked it

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns
    We do it everyday, IF it is the lens for them. It's not my fault if it's taken them 74 years to finally find an optician that's willing to offer them exactly what they need REGARDLESS of their AGE or INCOME.
    I stated I don't try to convince them. I don't descrimante either. I lay it out, tell them the ups and downs, advantages and disadvantages and let the patient decide for themselves if they want to try it. I try to be as informative as possible and show demonstration lenses to those that would be able to makes heads or tails of it. (some rx's of course wouldn't be able to get much out of the demo )

It sounds like to me, from all these posts that some opticians are very leary of who they tell about progressives and some patients don't even get it mentioned to them. If it is never mentioned to potential failures, of course the percentage of failures would be low, right??

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

As to waivers

Progressive wearers see enough waivers without adding any more.

Chip

Optical Clairvoyant OptiBoard Bronze Supporter Andrew Weiss's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson
    Progressive wearers see enough waivers without adding any more.

Chip
    Thanks, Chip ;)

I really do like the idea of an in-house "How to use your new progressive lenses" brochure with the non-adapt redo policy at the end. Maybe we could make this an OptiBoard cooperative project?
    Andrew

"One must remember that at the end of the road, there is a path" --- Fortune Cookie

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I agree competely!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We have addressed this and other information about our policies in a brochure. This is now sent in new patient information packages and given to the patient at the time of order. There is too much short term memory loss with out doing this.

Thread Information