Thread: Teflon vs. Alize vs. stainless

OptiBoard Novice

Teflon vs. Alize vs. stainless

I want real world opinions about scratch resistance of these coatings.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper They are all made frmo polysiloxanes.....................

They are all made from polysiloxane and are basically all the same. They provide a very slippery surface. The scartch resistance is that objects tend to slide off instead of hooking ond and scratching the lens.

OptiBoard Novice
    It has nothing to do with the under coat?

Allen Weatherby
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Chris:
    They are all made from polysiloxane and are basically all the same.
    The underlying hard coatings are made of polysiloxane however the superhydropobic such as "Alize" is a compound that bonds to the polysiloxane or silicon based surface such as the AR stack.

OptiBoard Novice
    I will see no difference in durability of all three?

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

A/R Difference between coatings

It has everything to do with the undercoat or hardcoat. The reason A/R coatings are growing in use now is due to the combination of a high quality thermal cure hardcoat applied to both sides of the lens, a proven A/R thin film process and a high performance hydrophobic coating.All 3 of these coatings are very good. In our tests Teflon has the best bayer reading with a bayer of 6 or higher. However all 3 will do well in the field with every day cleaning and wear.

Occupation
    The hardcoat under the AR stack is the core of the durability factor. The harder the surface, obviously the more durable the AR will be. The oleophobic top coat increases the durability factor by repeling the offending particulates from the surface. Despite popular opinion not all AR coatings are created equal. They may use common compounds in the formula but the recipe is very different. According to a Hoya literature that I have, they report the Bayer rating of Teflon at 6.0, Alize at 5.0 and Stainless (which was not included) is rated at 8.0. We are testing our AR against others by a leading indusrty testing lab which hopefully will allow us to publish the results for all to compare.
    Lee Prewitt, ABOM
    Independent Sales Representative
    AIT Industries
    224 W. James St.
    Bensenville, IL 60106
    Cell : (425) 241-1689
    Phone: (800) 729-1959, Ext 137
    Direct: (630) 274-6136
    Fax: (630) 595-1006
    www.aitindustries.com
    leep@aitindustries.com

More Than A Patternless Edger Company

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Gosh, Lee. You quoted from the HOYA literature with comparative Bayer Abrasion Scale results, and neglected to mention HOYA's Super HiVision AR coating which achieved a result of 10.9. Surely that was an oversight on your part.
    RT

OptiBoard Novice
    My head is 15.0:hammer:

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by RT
    Gosh, Lee. You quoted from the HOYA literature with comparative Bayer Abrasion Scale results, and neglected to mention HOYA's Super HiVision AR coating which achieved a result of 10.9. Surely that was an oversight on your part.
    Not necessarily an ommission as the thread was comparing Teflon, Alize, and Stainless. And yes, Super HiVision is rated at 10.9.
    Lee Prewitt, ABOM
    Independent Sales Representative
    AIT Industries
    224 W. James St.
    Bensenville, IL 60106
    Cell : (425) 241-1689
    Phone: (800) 729-1959, Ext 137
    Direct: (630) 274-6136
    Fax: (630) 595-1006
    www.aitindustries.com
    leep@aitindustries.com

More Than A Patternless Edger Company

Occupation

So when Hoya SD puts VP on top of SET, what rating does that get????? :shiner: :hammer:
    Let the refining and improving of your own life keep you so busy that you have little time to criticize others. -H. Jackson Brown Jr.

If the only tool you have is a hammer you will approach every problem as though it were a nail

Master OptiBoarder Darryl Meister's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    You quoted from the HOYA literature with comparative Bayer Abrasion Scale results, and neglected to mention HOYA's Super HiVision AR coating which achieved a result of 10.9. Surely that was an oversight on your part.
    That seems like an incredibly high figure. Just out of curiosity, was this an internal test or was it done at an independent laboratory (e.g., COLTS)?
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Darryl Meister
    That seems like an incredibly high figure. Just out of curiosity, was this an internal test or was it done at an independent laboratory (e.g., COLTS)?
    Hoya does use the 10.9 result on their website and ads but doesn't state where/who performed the test.

Here is a link to a press release when the coating was released back in 2002. It was posted here on OptiBoard by Newsroom. This shows the coating results as 12.431. If you go back to this post on OptiBoard at the bottom there is a side note that states Bayer Test Results were obtained by COLTS Laboratories. http://www.optiboard.com/forums/arch...hp/t-5806.html

This post goes back to 2002 though so I'm not sure where they are now getting their updated figure of 10.9. It does seem really high just like Darryl had said. I know this didn't really answer Darryl's question of where the number 10.9 came from but it at one time appartently was tested at COLTS. Maybe someone can shed more light on that number.

Master OptiBoarder Darryl Meister's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    I can tell you that we had Teflon tested by COLTS against a variety of competitive coatings and it consistently outperformed them in the Bayer test. However, I don't recall whether that particular "flavor" of Hoya AR was included or not.
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Yes, the Bayer abrasion results for SHV in the HOYA literature quoted by Lee Prewitt came from COLTS. The coating was announced in the US in 2002, but not actually released until later. The Bayer abrasion results of 10.9 came from production samples.

When HOYA's View Protect (VP) topcoat is applied to an AR coat, it generally enhances the abrasion resistance as measured by the Bayer test. I'm not aware of any specific tests done on the SET/VP combination that Karen asks about, however.

In terms of the original question, I think that the answer in general is that the category of super-slippery AR coats has better real world abrasion resistance than non-slippery AR coats. This is based on both Bayer test results, as well as my own personal experience.
    RT

Occupation
    When HOYA's View Protect (VP) topcoat is applied to an AR coat, it generally enhances the abrasion resistance as measured by the Bayer test. I'm not aware of any specific tests done on the SET/VP combination that Karen asks about, however.

I was being a bit sarcastic-I was under the impression that this would be a big no no but I have accounts telling me they are doing it (and selling it for a very affordable price-as in less than Carat or Advantage)
    Let the refining and improving of your own life keep you so busy that you have little time to criticize others. -H. Jackson Brown Jr.

If the only tool you have is a hammer you will approach every problem as though it were a nail

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

colts

i was told that the 10.9 on the super hi vision wasn't consistent. that some of the lenses sampled scored that high on the bayer test and others didn't and they just reported the highest they were able to obtain. and on the other hand the lowest score for the teflon was a 6.1 and they had some higher but chose to use this figure. true or not, don't know. just what i was told.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

colts

i was told that the 10.9 on the super hi vision wasn't consistent. that some of the lenses sampled scored that high on the bayer test and others didn't and they just reported the highest they were able to obtain. and on the other hand the lowest score for the teflon was a 6.1 and they had some higher but chose to use this figure. true or not, don't know. just what i was told.

Thread Information