Thread: Alternate Software Sources

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Alternate Software Sources

I have noted a couple of recent posts questioning software prices and fees.

First, from tomchee at http://www.optiboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17033

"Freeform Click-Fee

Does anyone have any info on the click-fee charged by Shamir and other freeform software providers? I am considering making the investment for a Schneider generator but am not sure if I should expect the upfront and ongoing software costs to be too great?

Are there other reputable companies offering an equally good software solution? Are there prices about the same? Any experiences or data would be helpful."

And from Timmy at http://www.optiboard.com/forums/show...hlight=sofware

"FDT Viewfinder V2.0 Software wanted

I am looking for the FDT Viewfinder V2.0 Software by Zeiss Medtec. I am trying to go paperless and I need a way to save my FDT printout without having to scan them into the system. Thanks"

Intellectual property is no different than tangible or real property. It has a monetary value that is determined by it’s author or owner. In addition, in the case of the Zeiss application that I site above, there is a significant medical liability inherent in this application. Should a diagnosis be missed or misinterpreted through the use of software from another vendor Zeiss could be in the hot seat along with the software vendor and the practitioner.

And, I am pretty sure that Shamir would not be too happy about supporting their generator running someone else’s software.

There are appropriate ways to save money but this just isn’t one of them. If you can not afford the whole package than perhaps you should not purchase it. And, if you are trying to get someone to send you a bootleg copy of the software – shame on you.

OptiBoard Novice
    Dick,

Shamir and others DO support running their software on other types of generators, especially since Shamir does not produce generators. I was able to get a good deal on a Schneider generator and need a software design in order to produce freeform lenses. I was curious if people had experience with one provider or another (e.g. Shamir). Also, I was trying to understand what the click-fee costs might look like to determine if it merits by move into freeform. In no way am i looking for someone to provide me with software, just experience.

Tomchee

Thread Information