Thread: This is where to find Opticians wage

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wave This is where to find Opticians wage

:) To find what state wages are in your locale this site is hosted by the states throughout America. Just plug in your state to find corresponding wages. With educated statistics you can provided documented bartering. The link is as follows, http://www.acinet.org/acinet/occ_rep...s=36&search=Go just plug in your state for corresponding results.
    Last edited by Jan Post; 05-02-2006 at 06:17 AM.

Bad address email on file k12311997's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

now I have to move

Thanks for the info it is a great site, unfortunately for me I already make more than my state average and for my local area I make more than the 75% so I can only hope employers don't know about this site when I'm negotiating. Or I can just move to New Jersey.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Im glad to hear you have good negotiation skills, unfortuantely most employers take advantage of employees during the hiring process when the wage issue arrises. Ive learned some valuable things in regard to this at our state emplyment agency, they sponsor a series of classes regarding this area. For instance an employer isnt allowed to ask for what you made on previous jobs, its considered discriminatory and not a reflection of job worth. Good luck in the future.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

More that just money

I appreciate the link to this helpful tool.
    I also want to add that people should realize this is not the definitive when negotiating for your compensation package. I live in VA and earn second tier wages ( I work for an older optometrist in a private practice in his dispensary and edging lab). I have no medica benefits nor retirement.
    However, I rarely work more than 38 hours, products are at cost for myself and extended family, several times a month lunch is paid for by Doc, and he is very understanding when personal crisis may interfere with the business. It's Monday thru Friday, no eves and most major holidays off.
    Yes, I'm poor, but I wouldn't go back to Lenscrafters for double what they used to pay me.
    Somethings are priceless.
    :cheers:

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    These figures are hourly wages and do not include company benefits. In addition to base wage like with all employers benefit package is always a consideration when choosing which employer to work for. As for Luxottica Corporation I would never work for them again. Ive worked for them for seven years and they provide no company loyalty, have abused and lied regarding circumcatances. I would prefer to work for a small company than to work the hours and be sent home when things are "slow". Imagine that being hired full time and then having the right to send you home, what a bogus company

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Nancy
    I appreciate the link to this helpful tool.
    I also want to add that people should realize this is not the definitive when negotiating for your compensation package. I live in VA and earn second tier wages ( I work for an older optometrist in a private practice in his dispensary and edging lab). I have no medica benefits nor retirement.
    However, I rarely work more than 38 hours, products are at cost for myself and extended family, several times a month lunch is paid for by Doc, and he is very understanding when personal crisis may interfere with the business. It's Monday thru Friday, no eves and most major holidays off.
    Yes, I'm poor, but I wouldn't go back to Lenscrafters for double what they used to pay me.
    Somethings are priceless.
    Amen to that, I left a great job chasing the money and I make almost twice as much, but hate the enviornment. I now think of the package and not the price.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Jan Post
    Im glad to hear you have good negotiation skills, unfortuantely most employers take advantage of employees during the hiring process when the wage issue arrises.

Huh?? Do you really believe that as an employer, my highest paid employees are the best negotiators ? They are SKILLED, but not at negotating. They have

Marketable Skills

I'm not hiring arbitrators for contracts, I'm hiring highly skilled opticians, technicians, and...(here comes the "s" word)

salespeople.

If you are not making the money you think you should be, you should look at what skills you're bringing ( or not) to the table.

As far as negotiations go...

Negotiation means that boths sides are trying to get the best deal for themselves, with the outcome usually being somewhere near the middle. If it's not fair, either party can end the discussion at anytime. If the big mean employer is "taking advantage" of you, go somewhere that you'll be better appreciated. I don't see how anyone can be taken advantage of, without them allowing it to happen.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thats cause this is corporate america and the bottom line is the buck. Some people are cut out for bull **** sales talk the talk, that good if thats your bag your into hustling for a living. Im a technician and hustlin isnt my game nor is playing someone so consider this you do what you have to do to survive.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thats cause this is corporate america and the bottom line is the buck.
    What's the bottom line to you? Is it feeling good about your job?

Very easy solution: Volunteer you services, that way, you won't have to worry about the bottom line.

Let the big mean corporations worry about the bottom line so they can give paychecks to the employees so they can buy groceries and pay the rent.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    :) To find what state wages are in your locale this site is hosted by the states throughout America. Just plug in your state to find corresponding wages. With educated statistics you can provided documented bartering. The link is as follows, http://www.acinet.org/acinet/occ_rep...s=36&search=Go just plug in your state for corresponding results.
    This is great! Any optician can now print out this info and take it to their next interview. BRAVO! We need more threads like this. :cheers:

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If I want to give my services away ill work in a nursing home

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Now you're talking!

If I want to give my services away ill work in a nursing home
    That's a great place to start, but if you volunteer at a retail store, you'll have the opportunity to help even more people...

:cheers:

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I just found out that I'm underpaying myself.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I just found out that my staff is grossly overpaid.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns
    I just found out that my staff is grossly overpaid.
    It's rude to call someone a liar. I'll just ask, why do I feel this is a stretch?:drop:

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Stone
    This is great! Any optician can now print out this info and take it to their next interview. BRAVO! We need more threads like this. :cheers:
    Or not...
    New hires around here are asking to start at 90th percentile of what the site reports for my county ;)

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Stone
    It's rude to call someone a liar. I'll just ask, why do I feel this is a stretch?:drop:
    No...I can handle being called a liar. Actually, my statement was false. My staff is NOT overpaid. They are all worth every dollar I pay them, and they earn every bit of it.

What I should have said is that they ALL make well over the national average for what opticians make.

On the Sunset Tour! Framebender's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Big Smile Wow. . .!!

My staff makes above average and I make less than average based on an hourly wage. My Dad used to say that nobody works as cheap as someone in business for themselves. You know, he's gotten smarter as I've gotten older?!? I hate it when that happens!! :idea:
    Days where my gratitude exceed my expectations are very good days!

Thread Information