Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sola XL?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

Sola XL?

My husband says that his insurance will cover Sola VIP or XL progressives. I know these are older designs, but I haven't been able to find out much else about them, esp the XL. I was thinking about using the benefit for an extra pair or sunwear. Does anyone have experience with these lenses?

Thanks for any input!

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Great lenses. I think the VIP is the number one sold lens in the World.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Vip is a harder design. It has a decent near and distance. It was the lens I used when I first fitted my Mom back in the 80's.

XL is softer and has a very good intermediate area.The reading area is smaller then the VIP. We had one optician years ago that fit almost everyone in the XL and we rarely had a non adapt.

Master OptiBoarder Darryl Meister's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    I think the VIP is the number one sold lens in the World.
    Well, we still sell a ton of them anyway.

Happylady pretty much described the differences.

Your eyecare professional would be the best person to consult for recommendations in your husband's specific case. However, between the two, we would normally recommend VIP for advanced presbyopes and current bifocal wearers. For active or emerging presbyopes, we would normally recommend XL. Since these lenses are for sunwear, I would talk to your eyecare professional about XL.
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

OptiBoard Apprentice OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I remember fitting the VIP when I used to wear a liesure suite,ala Saturday Night Fever. The lens has been a staple in the optical industry as it has worked on many patients and made many optical practioners happy with the results,if it didn't it would not be still utilizes today with all the new lenses availiable. If you are aprehensive about trying it because it is the lens your insurance covers in full; do not feel it is a secondary lens.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have great success with the XL. It's my inexpensive PAL of choice.
    ...Just ask me...

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

SOLAOne

Quote Originally Posted by Happylady
    Vip is a harder design. It has a decent near and distance. It was the lens I used when I first fitted my Mom back in the 80's.

XL is softer and has a very good intermediate area.The reading area is smaller then the VIP. We had one optician years ago that fit almost everyone in the XL and we rarely had a non adapt.
    How about the SOLAOne?

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation

SOLAOne

Quote Originally Posted by Darryl Meister
    However, between the two, we would normally recommend VIP for advanced presbyopes and current bifocal wearers. For active or emerging presbyopes, we would normally recommend XL. Since these lenses are for sunwear, I would talk to your eyecare professional about XL.
    Is SOLAOne suitable for first time progressive wearers? Thanks.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel Jong
    How about the SOLAOne?
    The Sola One is a much newer progressive and we use it often. It has a great near and intermediate. The distance is good, but might not be as good as some. I have personally worn this lens and liked it a lot. My husband also liked it. I had no problem with the distance but Sola's own study in which they compare themselves to other progressives gives it highest marks for near and intermediate but some others did better for distance.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation

SOLAOne

The Sola One is a much newer progressive and we use it often. It has a great near and intermediate. The distance is good, but might not be as good as some. I have personally worn this lens and liked it a lot. My husband also liked it. I had no problem with the distance but Sola's own study in which they compare themselves to other progressives gives it highest marks for near and intermediate but some others did better for distance.
    Thanks so much for your feedback. I am wearing Zeiss Individual now, but would like to try SOLAOne to make a comparison. Do you have any experience with Zeiss?

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks so much for your feedback. I am wearing Zeiss Individual now, but would like to try SOLAOne to make a comparison. Do you have any experience with Zeiss?
    I have never fit or personally worn the Zeiss Individual but I understand it is supposed to be very good.

Are you having any problems with with the progressive you have now? Why do you want to change?

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation

SOLAOne

I have never fit or personally worn the Zeiss Individual but I understand it is supposed to be very good.

Are you having any problems with with the progressive you have now? Why do you want to change?
    I have no problem with the Zeiss Individual, but I must test the SOLAOne, otherwise I can not explain to the customer. Thanks.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have no problem with the Zeiss Individual, but I must test the SOLAOne, otherwise I can not explain to the customer. Thanks.
    I understand completely! I really enjoy trying progressives myself. My two favorites right now are the Sola One and the Varilux Phyico. I use the Sola One when I want the best near and the Phyico when I want the best distance. I use the Ellipse when I need a progressive for a smaller frame.

I use others also, but use these three the most.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation

Sola Progressive Lenses

I understand completely! I really enjoy trying progressives myself. My two favorites right now are the Sola One and the Varilux Phyico. I use the Sola One when I want the best near and the Phyico when I want the best distance. I use the Ellipse when I need a progressive for a smaller frame.

I use others also, but use these three the most.
    Can you advise me which progressive lens is more suitable for minus or plus power respectively? Especially from Sola products, like XL, Percepta, SolaMax and SOLAOne. I understand that you have had experience of wearing progressive lenses. And it would be very much appreciated indeed.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Ophthalmologist
    I have to say that I am somewhat sceptical about the concept of "testing" progressives before arriving at a conclusion about what to offer to patients. I realize that your intentions are excellent but I have a feeling that there are so many confounding variables involved that the test is worthless. For example, if you are a young presbyope you will have a different experience on a particular progessive than will an advanced presbyope. Likewise with myopes and hyperopes. Likewise with those who have astigmatism and those who don't. Also, head posture, vocation, hobbies etc will all make a big difference. For example, a plano presbyope may be fit with a SolaMax which has lousy distance but outstanding intermed and near. The lens specifically "steals" from the distance to enhance the other two zones. This will work great for a plano patient who often takes off the glasses for distance tasks, but relies on the lens for near and intermediate. However, it may not be great for you if you are a minus 3 diopter myope who is completely dependent on glasses for distance and reads well without any correction. You would be better served by closely studying the designs of all the progressives, reading the Sheedy reports, closely questioning the patients on what they do all day and then picking the appropriate design.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    How about the SOLAOne?
    This person said that the husbands insurance would cover the VIP or XL. The Solaone is the top of the line, probly the best progressive on the market today. I know that lately Sola has been dumping excess XLs. Cheap, cheap.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ilanh, my own experiences with lenses are only part of what I use to evaluate different progressives. I also use the the experiences of my patients, my husband and friends, and coworkers. I read about different lenses and what other opticians have to say about them. I listen to what the manufacturer says about their lenses.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I fit one pt in the XL, and i came to the conclusion i would never use it again.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

Good lenses...

Thanks to everyone for your opinions on the Sola XL - yes, I think because it's an older design Sola must have made it available at low cost, thus the fact that our insurance will now cover it. I decided to give it a try, and they're really good lenses. I chose a frame with a fairly large "B" measurement, since I wanted them for sunwear, and I'm very pleased.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks for letting us know what happened. I am glad the XL has worked well for you.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Word of cautio for Joshy...There is not one progressive out there that will fit everyone...so if you base your opinion of a lens on a single patient...you can miss out on a very good product.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    know any thing about vison ease illumina or the outlook?

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Itsjustme, no I have not heard about it, is it available in Canada, do you have good results with it?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

vision ease

I am looking for some one with experence with these lenses. where I work we are told what to sell.the progessive of choice at work is the illumina or the outlook. I know nothing about the design of these lenses. I have had mixed results with this lens. I have just started fitting this lens, and am not sure if I like it. I seem to be getting complains about the intermediate.

OptiBoard Apprentice ELM OPTICAL's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Ilumina is VE newest lens. We used it for about 3 month. So far it is been working well for us. It is our middle priced lens. Their Life rx is very good. To bad it does not come in brown...
    Last edited by ELM OPTICAL; 05-31-2006 at 10:34 PM.

Thread Information