Thread: Polycarb for every pair of readers?

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Ophthalmologist

Polycarb for every pair of readers?

My optician is in the habit of ordering every single pair of reading glasses done in Polycarb. This refers mainly to people who prefer to have a separate pair of readers ie: people who are essentially plano at distance. The concept is that since most of these readers are over +2.00 in total plus power she wants to keep it "thin and lite". Do most of you out there do this? Do you think there is significant savings in thickness and weight?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by ilanh
    My optician is in the habit of ordering every single pair of reading glasses done in Polycarb. This refers mainly to people who prefer to have a separate pair of readers ie: people who are essentially plano at distance. The concept is that since most of these readers are over +2.00 in total plus power she wants to keep it "thin and lite". Do most of you out there do this? Do you think there is significant savings in thickness and weight?
    I do alot of readers in poly, yes they are thinner and lighter.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I have done it for some higher power readers

Occupation
    Seems like sound reasoning. Certainly poly is much lighter than cr-39, even when the lenses aren't any thinner. I don't seem to see a huge difference in scratch resistance either, although when plus power gets really high, I'd hate to see it without A/R because the back surface is so flat and reflective.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Ilan, polycarb is the new CR-39. Get with it.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Ophthalmologist
    I guess I'm one of the few people who can really tell the difference in clarity between Poly and other options. I have actually taken a pair of Poly, Trivex and CR39 spectacles (all of them -1.00 OU) for a test drive. All three were in similar frames and all of them had premium AR coating. The trivex and CR39 were a pleasure to see through :D . The Poly made me feel like I was looking through a window . Over time I began to realize that the CR39 and Trivex were so much better that I preferentially looked for them even when the Poly was right at hand's length (please don't ask why I am driving around with 3 pairs of -1.00's). It could be that "type A" perfectionists who are major nudnicks and agonizingly picky about everything (ie: me) will see the problems with Poly.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Hi Dr H!!!!! Hope you are doing well.

I am one of those "freaks" that can see the abberations in poly. I think poly is garbage (yes, I said garbage) optically. BUT it would be thinner and lighter than CR especially in plus powers. I call poly the poor man's 1.60. Our industry sells a ton of it so we should probably get on the bandwagon but I refuse! I am a type A too- I prefer to call it "discerning" ;) I wear Trivex myself but I don't have a high enough power to worry about thickness issues....
    Let the refining and improving of your own life keep you so busy that you have little time to criticize others. -H. Jackson Brown Jr.

If the only tool you have is a hammer you will approach every problem as though it were a nail

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    For readers in higher powers, my preference is a mid to high index. Spectralite, Cosmolit, and similar aspheric styles. Looks great, and has beter optics. Though I am beginning to jump on the Trivex bandwagon...

Cassandra
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Occupation
    Even 1.67 aspheric is getting pretty affordable, especially if the plus is particularly high.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Ok, flog me for this...
    1.) I'm an O.D.
    2.) I'm a picky -6.50 myope, RGP wearer.
    3.) I'm an interested party
    4.) I'm a visual kinda guy.

But...
    I have a pair of Trivex, Resolution poly, and some 1.6 MR-8 lenses. I swear they are all good. I don't see much difference. What's wrong with me?

BTW, tried my first progressives, as I'm 43 yo. Rx: +1.00 add, Genesis Trivex. Absolutely no problems with these whatsoever. I don't know what the progressive non-adapt *****ing is all about. These far, far exceeded my expectations.

Conclusion:
    Non-adapts to materials and progressives involves something more esoteric than picky personalities, high prescriptions, etc. I think it's in the category of "mental", or "visual perceptual", etc. I don't think you can screen for it, either.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Though material selection is important when fitting a Plus lens, thickness will be more a factor of lens design, i.e. Aspherics. An aspheric design lens is my lens of choice for any power over a +2.00. Starting with Spectralite and adjusting index of refraction based on strength of the rx. And yes I always recommend A/R.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    the answer to the original question is... yes they will be thinner and lighter. As far as the clarity of poly, I too am able to see a slight difference, and prefer Trivex or CR39. But that doesn't mean I refuse to fit my patients in poly. Most of my patients aren't as particular as I am.

Non-adapts to materials and progressives involves something more esoteric than picky personalities, high prescriptions, etc. I think it's in the category of "mental", or "visual perceptual", etc. I don't think you can screen for it, either.
    I also agree that is not something that can be screened for. But at least for me, it wasn't a "mental" thing. I wore poly before I was an optician and I had no idea what material my lenses were. But I knew that when the light hit them just right, I could see colors in my peripheral vision. I now wear Trivex and am perfectly happy with my vision. The only patients I hesitate to fit with poly lenses are-

1) previous glass wearers,
    2) patients complaining that they were not as satisfied with their vision this year vs. last year who were fit with poly the first time, and
    3) patients who seem as picky and particular as myself and I don't want to take a chance on.

And if the discussion comes up with a patient, I am sure to make it clear that there isn't a huge, "omygod" difference between, say, poly and trivex. Yes, I do feel Trivex is clearer, but only because when I wear poly something feels "not quite right". Just like my lenses without AR have just that "not quite right" fogginess caused by faint reflections. So if the issue does come up, I explain that to my patients, tell them that I personally prefer Trivex over poly and would definitely recommend it, tell them the difference in price, and let them decide.
    It's like being a travel agent... I help people see the world!

Thread Information