Thread: 39eyeglasses.com

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

39eyeglasses.com

it is tempting.

Seika 1.67 lenes in standard frame for $90.

Does seika have various versions of this 1.67 lense family or am I really getting a great discount?

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by obrien040362
    it is tempting.

Seika 1.67 lenes in standard frame for $90.

Does seika have various versions of this 1.67 lense family or am I really getting a great discount?
    you are not paying for the trained professional fit.

There is more to a pair of glasses than just the prescription. If the lenses and frames are not fit properly, the prescription is useless.

Occupation
    thank you I understand that. I am on a limited budget. My current galsses are 4 years old and I got them at walmart. Are they classified trained professionals?

I have bought glasses from peril vision, elderbeermans optical, lenses crafters, sams and walmart. My favorite pair was walmart because they had Seika Aspheric Lenses. My last pair I got from Sams which had Zeiss Lenses with ARC they were made at overseas lab (roden.....) not sure how to spell it. I hated the ARC. One advantage of 39dollorglasses.com is you don't have to get the ARC. The two places I been to so far say it comes standard with the 1.67 lenses.

I also understand most shops (lenses crafters) will do the minor adjustment. Of course I miss the professional intial measurements.

Occupation
    That is very ignorant of you to expect a profesional to take time out of his/her busy day to adjust your eyeglasses that you bought cheaper on the internet. Why do you think it is cheaper. If you need an adjustment just mail it back to 39dollareyeglasses.com
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Occupation
    sorry to offend you harry. I do construction for a living and offer free advice and estimates everyday. I coach 3 youth sports teams and don't get paid a dime.

C-10
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yes and I bet you Just love to a some house and put a door in and not get paid for the labour.

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    But you don't do construction for nothing do you!
    hj
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Occupation
    thank you I understand that. I am on a limited budget. My current galsses are 4 years old and I got them at walmart. Are they classified trained professionals?

I have bought glasses from peril vision, elderbeermans optical, lenses crafters, sams and walmart. My favorite pair was walmart because they had Seika Aspheric Lenses. My last pair I got from Sams which had Zeiss Lenses with ARC they were made at overseas lab (roden.....) not sure how to spell it. I hated the ARC. One advantage of 39dollorglasses.com is you don't have to get the ARC. The two places I been to so far say it comes standard with the 1.67 lenses.

I also understand most shops (lenses crafters) will do the minor adjustment. Of course I miss the professional intial measurements.
    You have to understand this is a sore spot for the profession. But instead of getting upset, I will try to help you.

You want a thin looking pair of glasses and are willing to compromise on AR for that pair. I would suggest doing the opposite. Get a good AR and go with the thicker lens. Not having AR will show off all of the thickness of the lens. With AR, from the front, a lot of the thickness will be hidden.

I suggest going to a licensed professional, maybe an independent store, who will help you find the best frame and lens for the match. You would be surprised what they can do for people who have a budget.

Occupation
    thanks "for life"

but the acid in my skid eats the AR that is why I perfer not to have it. I understand there has been advances in this treatment but I still don't want it.

My eye doctor has price me a budget pair which is around $47 for a cheap metal frame (no springs), $115 for basic polycarb plastic lenses, $40 for advance AR, $15 to $20 for edge grinding (is how they stated it some glasses must be $15 and some $20). I can't remember if this had UV included. I told him I needed to shop around and they didn't appriciate it but were nice.

My appointment was not cheap. I do not have insurance. If figured I would put my money to see an OD doctor and then shop for a discount pair. I didn't go to the walmart doctor.

for the others

I would never walk into a store and demand free adjustments. I would ask to have my glass adjusted and then after it is done ask them if there is a charge. If they said no charge I would say thank you.

This is my last post. So you all can have the last word

Thanks

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    thanks "for life"

but the acid in my skid eats the AR that is why I perfer not to have it. I understand there has been advances in this treatment but I still don't want it.

My eye doctor has price me a budget pair which is around $47 for a cheap metal frame (no springs), $115 for basic polycarb plastic lenses, $40 for advance AR, $15 to $20 for edge grinding (is how they stated it some glasses must be $15 and some $20). I can't remember if this had UV included. I told him I needed to shop around and they didn't appriciate it but were nice.

My appointment was not cheap. I do not have insurance. If figured I would put my money to see an OD doctor and then shop for a discount pair. I didn't go to the walmart doctor.
    I know that negative opinions can sound overly harsh when viewed on the internet, so please don't take this badly, I mean it in the gentlest way possible...

... but I am very surprised that you would complain about such a price. This is your vision we're talking about. Your doctor just quoted you a decent pair of glasses with polycarbonate AND anti-glare for only $222 dollars. And if you do go without the AR its only 182! That means you'd be paying 50 cents a day if you only wear it for a year, and you just stated your last pair you kept for four years.

Sure, there's glasses available out there that are cheaper. But they're junk. I'm sure its the same in construction, too. I imagine you have to explain to people all the time that a project cant be rushed to completion overnight, and that if you use only the cheapest possible materials, you turn out less quality in the completed product.

You said that you didn't go to the Walmart doctor. Why? Maybe because you felt you would not have the best care for your eye health, or you felt (as I know some people do,) that a doctor at Walmart somehow isn't as qualified as one in independent practice. So you went ahead and paid for the more expensive appointment. Now why do you want to cut corners on the glasses? They're what you'll have to be wearing for the next four years!

I think you're putting far too low a priority on your vision. That doesn't mean you have to buy the most expensive stuff out there. I just mean that you are going to get what you pay for if you order a cheap pair of aspheric lenses over the internet.
    It's like being a travel agent... I help people see the world!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    thanks "for life"

for the others

I would never walk into a store and demand free adjustments. I would ask to have my glass adjusted and then after it is done ask them if there is a charge. If they said no charge I would say thank you.

This is my last post. So you all can have the last word

Thanks

What type of AR did you have before? The newer version include a slick coat that seals the AR, and repels oil. This makes them a lot more durable and easier to clean.

As far as the reason why many places won't sell 1.67 with out AR... The higher index materials, also reflect more light. You will have less light entering the eye, so things won't be crisp, and more annoying reflections to boot. So while they might be thinner, the won't provide the level of clarity that most opticians want to provide.

I guess it it come be summed up as... Why decide on whether to "look good" or "see good" when you can do both?

Part of the price you pay when getting your eyewear is the knowledge, expertise, and service that an optician provides. Does the 39dollar website talk about the downsides of having 1.67 with out AR? Does it explain the latest generation in coatings? Does it take your measurements and guarantee the accuracy? Troubleshoot them if they aren't working as intended to know if the problem is material/coating/fit or a true rx issue?
    -------------
    Here is my response to a similar question in another thread....

I recently had a couple of patients ask me about ordering online. I asked them who they were going to get to verify the rx and service their purchase.

When you go to an optician, you aren't only paying for the materials, you are paying for their knowledge and service.

Who will take your pupilary distance?

How about Optical Centers?

How about adjustments?

Maintenance on the frames?

Troubleshooting if you are having issues?

Guiding you through the material and coating maze?

Selecting the best frame for based upon your script and your facial features and coloring?

Have actual frames for you to try on?

What happens if they break?

Many of thes online places state that you can get someone to provide these services for free...but that isn't right and times are changing.

Do you provide consulative services free of charge? Do you think it is right to get tax advice from an accountant or legal advice from a lawyer without paying them for their knowldege base? Why should opticians provide their services and not get compensated?

Is it that much of a savings if you have to pay your optician for their time to solve the issues related to your purchase made elsewhere. Or you end up paying for something you did not need or could not use?

Cassandra
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    [QUOTE=obrien040362]thanks "for life"

I just want to know why you wouldn't see a Walmart doctor?

Occupation
    Oh, I did some research on these places. So you know the magic mathetimatical formula they use to figure out where a straight top should go? 3mm below the half B of the frame.

Yep, that'll work

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

You're forgetting half of the formula.........

Quote Originally Posted by For-Life
    Oh, I did some research on these places. So you know the magic mathetimatical formula they use to figure out where a straight top should go? 3mm below the half B of the frame.

Yep, that'll work
    I HATE it when I have to remind folks they've forgotten something important. I'm only going to say this ONCE ...so listen up and remember what you read here...

The proper formula is:

In 2......3 below!

If you forget the first part you could wind up in serious trouble! :D

Here endeth the lesson.

hj
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

How about dentures on line...............

Ordering your glasses online
    is equivalent to
    ordering your dentures online
    Good vision, Good Food
    You can see the steak you have to chew

:hammer:

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You don't care about who makes your glasses, why care about the exam ?

If I were you, I would get the glasses online, only I would shop around some more. I'm sure if you go to some of the emerging countries websites, you can get really cheap glasses.

If it were anyone but you...I'd say to go to a real optical.

Thread Information