Thread: Clear Guard Demonstrator

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Clear Guard Demonstrator

I got a cool Alize w/ Clear Guard demonstrator. It has two lenses mounted on holes in an acrylic box, with styrofoam balls inside. You rub the lenses, and the balls are attracted to the lens without Clear Guard. It's a very effective demonstration. My problem is getting the styrofoam balls off of the lens so that I can demonstrate again. I can't get them all off! The rep said you just dip the box in water. That doesn't work well, and apparantly my box leaks.

Has anyone found an easy way to get the balls off the lenses?
    ...Just ask me...

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

I can't get them all off! .......................

Quote Originally Posted by Spexvet
    I can't get them all off! The rep said you just dip the box in water. That doesn't work well, and apparantly my box leaks.
    Styrofoam peanuts (which they probably are) with static charge are terrible pollutants. They are used for packaging and one always has to make sure that they are treated with an anti static product so they dont stick to anything.

However is is a brilliant idea as a demonstrator and the material helps along because it retains the static charge for a long time.

A acceptable scientific test for static demonstrations is also the so called ashtray test. You rub the object with a fine rag made from artificial fibres, as nylon and the swipe it slowly over an ashtray with fine crushed cigarette ashes. If the surface does not attract the dust, it is not statically charged. If it does attract the dust there is a static charge.

It is also advised to wait a few seconds after rubbing the surface to let charge dissipate.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I don't have the answer to your question, but I want to say I have the Alize with Clear Guard on my new lenses and it is hands down the best AR I have ever had.

I just looked at my glasses and they don't need cleaning. I haven't cleaned them since yesterday morning. They are still clean! With any other AR I have to clean them several times a day cause stuff on my lenses really bother me.

It is worth the extra money to get the Alize with Clear Guard. I asked and with VSP there is no extra charge to the patient for the Clear Guard above the Alize price. I just put it in special instructions.

I'll get off my soapbox now. :)

OptiBoard Apprentice

Confused

Hello Happylady~

I have the Crizal Alize coating but I heard nothing of Clear Guard. I even asked my optician if there was something even more advanced with Alize because I was willing to pay for the best coating. He said he hadn't heard of it. This kind of bothers me that he's not more updated on these products. What exactly is the big difference between regular Alize and the Clear Guard? As it is water and wet cleaner just beads up and very easy to wipe.

Even though my glasses are easy to clean and I faithfully use the correct cloths and wet my lenses I notice that I sometimes get smudges on the top inner area of the lenses just as I had on my old glasses. It's mostly just oil from my skin. I believe the lenses sometimes touch the area above my eye although not on a consistent basis. Or maybe my eyelashes hit them from time to time. Most of the time since it's way up top I don't notice. And since there are no scratches on these lenses like my old ones it's a world of difference in my ability to view the world! Even with far less lens to see out of.

Quote Originally Posted by Happylady
    I don't have the answer to your question, but I want to say I have the Alize with Clear Guard on my new lenses and it is hands down the best AR I have ever had.

I just looked at my glasses and they don't need cleaning. I haven't cleaned them since yesterday morning. They are still clean! With any other AR I have to clean them several times a day cause stuff on my lenses really bother me.

It is worth the extra money to get the Alize with Clear Guard. I asked and with VSP there is no extra charge to the patient for the Clear Guard above the Alize price. I just put it in special instructions.

I'll get off my soapbox now. :)

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    SpecAppeal, if you have the Alize then you have an excellent AR. I think a lot of opticians haven't heard of the Clear Guard yet, it is fairly new. I never had the Alize before, just the regular Crizal and both the Alize and the Alize with Clear Guard are easier to clean then standard Crizal.

I am honestly not sure how much better the Clear Guard is then the Alize without it.

OptiBoard Apprentice

Thumbs up

Thanks for your reply Happylady. I'm happy with these new glasses so I think you're correct about Alize being an excellent coating. Its hard to believe they can make it any better. Thank you again!

Quote Originally Posted by Happylady
    SpecAppeal, if you have the Alize then you have an excellent AR. I think a lot of opticians haven't heard of the Clear Guard yet, it is fairly new. I never had the Alize before, just the regular Crizal and both the Alize and the Alize with Clear Guard are easier to clean then standard Crizal.

I am honestly not sure how much better the Clear Guard is then the Alize without it.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Spex, I have that demonstrator too, if you leave it alone the balls fall off after a bit...
    Let the refining and improving of your own life keep you so busy that you have little time to criticize others. -H. Jackson Brown Jr.

If the only tool you have is a hammer you will approach every problem as though it were a nail

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    When I demostrate Stainless or Vivix (all of our AR has anti-static properties and has for several years now) I use common dirt. Potting soil in fact, you know the stuff with the big chunks in it. You should see the jaws drop when the Alize lens picks up the big stuff!
    Lee Prewitt, ABOM
    Independent Sales Representative
    AIT Industries
    224 W. James St.
    Bensenville, IL 60106
    Cell : (425) 241-1689
    Phone: (800) 729-1959, Ext 137
    Direct: (630) 274-6136
    Fax: (630) 595-1006
    www.aitindustries.com
    leep@aitindustries.com

More Than A Patternless Edger Company

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    The water is the best way I've found to "de-activate" the demonstrator. The reason this works is, the water- being a good conductor- helps the lens return to a state of neutral charge.

To avoid having water enter the unit (both of mine are watertight, but I've heard some will allow some water to enter), just place the demonstrator "lenses down" in the water.

Pete
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Hello~

I was glad to see this name Vivix. The reason being is my good friend works for Costco and plans on buying glasses there. They told her they use something called Vivix anti reflective. I had never heard of it. What is Stainless? I don't believe they mentioned that word. Just Vivix. How does this compare to the Alize (which I have)? I will have a new post regarding my friend's plans for new glasses. Maybe if you see it you might have an answer to that question as well.

Thank you.

Claire

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Prewitt
    When I demostrate Stainless or Vivix (all of our AR has anti-static properties and has for several years now) I use common dirt. Potting soil in fact, you know the stuff with the big chunks in it. You should see the jaws drop when the Alize lens picks up the big stuff!

Thread Information