Thread: Limits and liability

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Limits and liability

Lab workers and owners out there....

Do you have limits to what prescription you will glaze into a particular frame? Ie. max plus into a rimless.

Do you have a minimum thickness of glazing into supra or rimless frames (for rimless read 3 piece mount).

My job seems to be getting harder and i'm wondering whether to, at the risk of upsetting customers, limit the number of jobs which have my nerves on their edge.

Are there jobs you refuse to do or do you do them but at the risk of the party ordering the job?

Any input appreciated.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    If you do not welcome the tough jobs and look upon them as challenges to you knowledge and skill it’s time to get out of the business.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker
    If you do not welcome the tough jobs and look upon them as challenges to you knowledge and skill it’s time to get out of the business.
    I expected a response like this!
    I welcome the tough jobs but I need enough volume in between to cut a profit:D.

I can only take a certain number of jobs per day which challenge my knowledge and skill before I start to wonder if I should find an easier way to make a living. It seems the vast majority of my customers are happy doing their own easy CEF work and I end up with all the high plus / oblique cyl into push fit 56mm eyesize rimless with 'Px very fussy, must not be too thick' detailed on the order.

So I take it from your response you will accept any Rx into any frame and are happy to take liability if it goes pear shaped. I take my hat off to you.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rsandr
    Do you have limits to what prescription you will glaze into a particular frame? Ie. max plus into a rimless.

Do you have a minimum thickness of glazing into supra or rimless frames (for rimless read 3 piece mount).

Are there jobs you refuse to do or do you do them but at the risk of the party ordering the job?
    Nobody any further input on this?

As a company we don't have much in the way of policy, If it comes we will glaze it, or at least try, yesterday I fixed a pair of binoculars.
    Surely lines have to be drawn, but without seeming unreasonable.

Or am I being unreasonable?

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper I welcome the tough jobs ....................

Quote Originally Posted by rsandr
    I welcome the tough jobs but I need enough volume in between to cut a profit.
    When I used to have my lab, we were known to do tough jobs most of the other labs would not touch.

That means retailers that would work with less expensive labs for their bread and butter jons would send us only the tough jobs other lab would not touch.

We added another 20% on top of our price list to those customers and told them to take it or leave it.

Most of the time they used to take it, because nobody else would do these jobs..

Thread Information