Thread: Progressives for pilots; other questions to ask?

OptiBoard Novice

Progressives for pilots; other questions to ask?

I didn't know what to call this thread. What I really want to know is, what questions should a customer ask when judging whether a particular optician or optical center is going to provide high-quality service.

I am a 54-year-old female, and I've been a long-time contact lens wearer (30+ years). For various reasons, I will have to switch to wearing eyeglasses much more often than in the past. My vision with soft contacts is 20/20 but I need reading glasses for all reading and computer work (e.g., +1.25 to +1.50). My newest eyeglass prescription (not yet filled) is:
    OD: sph -6.00 cyl -1.00 axis 50
    Add: +2.25 in each eye

I'm wondering if I'm a good candidate for high-index lenses and possibly for progressives. The problem is that my conversation with the optician associated with my optometrist did not go well. I'm concerned about whether the frames I select will depend on how I will use the eyeglasses, and whether there might be limitations on my "intermediate" vision with progressive lenses. The optician said I could not use progressives for computer work, but I could select virtually any frames I liked "and we'll just work with your prescription."

My top priorities are 1) to be able to see well at all 3 distances (near, intermediate, far) because of my job; and 2) moving to something a bit more attractive than the coke-bottle lenses I've traditionally used as back-up for my contacts. I am a college teacher, and I think my vision needs are similar to those of a pilot who must look at charts, scan the cockpit instrument panel, and watch out the windscreen for traffic, all without switching eyeglasses.

What do you suggest?
    CBrunner

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper I think my vision needs are similar to those of a pilot ..........

Quote Originally Posted by CBrunner
    OD: sph -6.00 cyl -1.00 axis 50
    Add: +2.25 in each eye

........................................I think my vision needs are similar to those of a pilot who must look at charts, scan the cockpit instrument panel, and watch out the windscreen for traffic, all without switching eyeglasses.
    You are the perfect subject for a NO NO NO in the way of progressive lenses.

1) Your addition is just about the highest you can get......which means a very narrow progressive channel.
    If you would have started on progressives years ago this would not be a problem.

2) The narrow channel also automatically will increase the lateral distorted areas of the lens. This means you will not have the clear scanning of the cockpit because you will see straight lines as a curve.

3) You are a good size myop.....which usually has a personality that loves perfection................and will see a lot of imperfection when looking to the side. You will also have such a narrow progressive and reading part that it will drive you up the walls.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What do you wear for glasses now? Do you wear single vision or are you currently wearing lined bifocals?

You will do fine in a high Index lens, however if you've never worn progressives, Chris is right about the channel and the side blur. No matter what you get, you will probably need a seperate pair of glasses for your work.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    She is a college professor, not a pilot. The visual needs are not the same.

Flat tops have distortion and image jump in the middle of the lens and offer nothing for intermediate. You could get a trifocal but that means two lines and double the image jump.

Whatever you get will require getting used to it. Why not try a progressive first? Lots of people wear progressives with +2.25 adds. Lots of people use computers with progressives, it depends on the progressive, how much computer time, and how high the computer screen is.

I suggest trying the progressive first and then if needed order a pair for computer.

Give yourself enough time, it might take a couple of weeks to be comfortable with them. Progressives can go into pretty small frames now a days but you might like them better if you have at least 19 or 20 millimeters from your pupil to the bottom of the frame.
    Last edited by Happylady; 04-20-2006 at 07:50 PM.

Master OptiBoarder Cindy Hamlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Cbrunner,

These are questions you should direct to you local eye care professional who is aware of your history.

I remind you of the OB posting guidelines for consumers:

Consumers are allowed to post on the Board, as long as the posts concern general eyecare related topics. However please be aware that any questions that involve diagnosing specific eyecare and eyewear problems are not appropriate for an online discussion forum. These kinds of questions should be discussed with a qualified eyecare professional who has examined you and is familiar with your situation. Posts asking for diagnostic help will be closed or removed.
    ~Cindy

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." -Catherine Aird-

Thread Information