Thread: Just got my new Ellipse glasses and just LOVE them!

OptiBoard Apprentice

Thumbs up Just got my new Ellipse glasses and just LOVE them!

Hello~

Oh my glory! I never thought I would love a pair of glasses like the ones I just picked up today. I absolutely think these are the BEST! I am having no problems with getting used to them what so ever. I literally put them on and walked out of the office just like that! I had worn Comfort lenses for several years so I was used to progressives. I don't even have any initial problems with feeling "dizzy" like I did with my older and larger glasses! These Ellipse shorter lens glasses are just perfect. Actually even nicer than my old larger ones. Walking down stairs is easier. I don't need to bend my head down as much. They put the Alize coating on them and I was even able to wear them in the car instead of my old progressive sunglasses which are not polarized. They gave me a little "authenticity" card and soft cloth to clean the coating with. I didn't get anything from the Ellipse company like that but I did read here to look on the lenses to see a little circle-type thing. I see it on the outer side of each lense.

I'm sorry for gushing, but I am just so happy with these glasses! By the way, I went grocery shopping after I picked them up and noticed if I tilted the bottoms closer to my cheeks the distance was a bit clearer. I called and then went back to the optician to ask him about this. He said he doesn't prefer to tilt the lenses a lot but he did it for me. He said it's sometimes an optical illusion. ?? I told him that I could see more clear like that! I went outside to check them and noticed it almost corrected my vision TOO much. Like they were too strong. He then bent the frame back a little to make it somewhere between where they were at first and the other extreme. They seem to be fine.

I've never has the lens part tilt so much on my other glasses. Strange when I lay them down with the temples up. The lenses don't sit straight up like my old ones. But they are so much tinier than those too. Also the way they sit on my face a bit tilted makes it almost like i could look over them more when i look down. Perhaps that is because they are so narrow. My old ones covered a lot more! But this is minimal really. Is the tilt something that opticians generally do to make the distance vision a tad sharper and still keep the close up? I am not sure why my optical person isn't as keen on this. From the side view they do tilt alright. I imagine this is normal?

Either way I am absolutely THRILLED with my new glasses! I give a BUG thumbs up to Ellipse and the type of lens I have. He told me it's 1.67 high index with the Alize coating. I purchased my Coach frames from someone previously who is affiliated with an optical company. So it was less costly in the long run. Now I need to consider new sunglasses with the polarized lenses.

I am quite pleased. I can also see just fine on my computer.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thank you for sharing your experiences. It is normal to tilt the bottom of glasses in. It is recommended for progressives. The bottom of the lens should tilt in 10 to 12 degrees.

OptiBoard Apprentice

Arrow to Happylady

Hello Happylady~

I have a question regarding the degree of tilting in you spoke of. Not being good at math can you tell me what exactly is 10-12 degrees? If I sent you a profile photo of me with my glasses on would you be able to tell me if the tilt is just right? The reason I wonder is because I was looking at other people's glasses today and how they sit on their faces and none seem to have the tilt toward the cheek like mine do. These were older women too so I expect they might be wearing progressives. Anyway I am just curious since my progressive lens glasses have never been quite this tilted in the past.

The optician who fit and sold me these lenses is a nice enough person but he's also not one to answer too many questions or even offer any tips.

Thank you~

Quote Originally Posted by Happylady
    Thank you for sharing your experiences. It is normal to tilt the bottom of glasses in. It is recommended for progressives. The bottom of the lens should tilt in 10 to 12 degrees.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It isn't a huge tilt. Of course, everyone is different and some people perfer more or less tilt.

If you google varilux fitting you will get links that show the proper fitting. There are pictures there that show it.

OptiBoard Apprentice

Thumbs up

Hello~

Thank you. I just went and checked it. Very interesting. I think what had me do a double take when I saw my new frames in the mirror from the sideview is their small SIZE. I am so used to seeing larger glasses on my face. And, these tiny frames just take up a fraction of the space. They look stange to me at first glance. But I'm sure they probably look the way they're supposed to. Tilted in a bit on the bottom giving them a different look than what i've been accustommed to. As long as they correct my vision and aren't sitting cockeyed on my face who cares -right? LOL I do know that my optician tilted them back a wee bit after I noticed my distance vision seemed almost too strong. I am still surprised that he doesn't really suggest tilting the lenses. If I hadn't pushed on the bottoms a bit I wouldn't have known to ask him about it. I used to do this with all my old glasses and they seemed to correct better. Never realized an optician can actually bend the frame to mimic this.

Thanks Happylady! I hope your patients are as thrilled with their Ellipse as I am!

Quote Originally Posted by Happylady
    It isn't a huge tilt. Of course, everyone is different and some people perfer more or less tilt.

If you google varilux fitting you will get links that show the proper fitting. There are pictures there that show it.

Thread Information