Thread: NCLE questions

OptiBoard Novice

NCLE questions

Hi I am in Pa and work for a company (for 9 years) that has suddenly insisted on us being NCLE certified, Now we are striclty dispensing opticans no lab on site and only dispense cl's, the doctor does full exams, insertions and removals, we have no experience fitting cl's..they have given us books and a video and expect us to pass this test with no hands on expereince with slit lamps, keratonometers etc, we either pass this test or lose our job...what is your feelings on this ?:angry:

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The test is more inventory management than fitting now. Read the books, you'll do fine. There is no hands on, no slit-lamp to look through. No keratometer to use. Just paper mostly nowdays it's on making the doctor's inventories stay current. Fitting questions can pretty much be answered by an average guy who read a brochure. Sad but true but the day of the emasculated fitter is upon us.

Chip

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Study

Quote Originally Posted by divorce2b
    Hi I am in Pa and work for a company (for 9 years) that has suddenly insisted on us being NCLE certified, Now we are striclty dispensing opticans no lab on site and only dispense cl's, the doctor does full exams, insertions and removals, we have no experience fitting cl's..they have given us books and a video and expect us to pass this test with no hands on expereince with slit lamps, keratonometers etc, we either pass this test or lose our job...what is your feelings on this ?:angry:
    What books are you studying? Also, if you want to pass, see if you can get with the doctor while he/she is fitting. Also, why not sit in on I&R training and make yourself knowledgeable there as well.

Then, take an NCLE review course. Depending on your company, they may spring for one for your staff. When do you have to sit for the exam? Let me know.

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    When I took the test there were alot of questions about fitting and adjusting hard GP lenses, and that was a year ago! I passed it with no prior knowledge of contacts I just studied my but off!!

OptiBoard Novice

re:NCLE

thanks everyone for the info..I have heard there is a ton of info on rgp's etc I am knolwedgebale in doing i and r's etc but just dont have experience on fitting lenses..

OptiBoard Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by Diane
    What books are you studying? Also, if you want to pass, see if you can get with the doctor while he/she is fitting. Also, why not sit in on I&R training and make yourself knowledgeable there as well.

Then, take an NCLE review course. Depending on your company, they may spring for one for your staff. When do you have to sit for the exam? Let me know.

Diane
    hi Diane thanks for the advice, I really have no desire to work with contacts I guess thats my problem, I been doing optics for 20 years and know lab and stuff, I do know how to i and r 's but just dont have any knowledge fitting lenses, I dont work for an eye dr so i am unable to sit in on exams etc..but thansk for your encouragement...:)

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I would recommend a good understanding of power calculations of rgp. I seem to remember alot of questions involving computing powers. This of course means a good knowledge of lacrimal lens and contact lens power. Make sure you are comfortable putting a power on an optical cross. Make sure that you are comfortable going from radius to diopter and back, ohter than that just a whole bunch of studying and you will be fine. Good Luck let us know how you do.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by divorce2b View Post
    I am in a similar situation too. I need to be NCLE Certified for a Massachusetts License. I am ABOC forever, do not dispense CL's but need to learn all of it! Very frustrating!

Bad address email on file sharonm516's Avatar
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Study the RGP section...especially design and residual astigmatism. Its really not that difficult of a test...good luck to you!:cheers:

Thread Information